New owner of 2015 Mazda CX5 GS AWD, question about break in

yoshiMazda

:
2014 mazda cx 5 gs awd
Hi all, I just got my beautiful CX5 from dealer last Wednesday. It got 200km on it, I start reading new car break in tips today and find out that you should drive in vary speed and avoid hard stop/cruise control/etc...this bring me worries :( I have drive her to work for 4 days now, mostly I drive it on highway for 100km/h and I accidentally pressed the cruise control button too, which I turned it off within 30 sec...I also had a somewhat hard stop at a stop sign :( Is it like super bad for her and what can I do to make it up?...

Also I have read that you should do an oil change/flush at 500km to remove all the small metal flake in the first oil. Is that true and if yes, should I use full-synthetic or just regular.

Many thanks and here is a few pictures of her,
IMG_6631_zpsf94b97e4.jpg

IMG_6627_zps5d8f10ca.jpg

IMG_6623_zpsec9e3025.jpg

IMG_6634_zps69289fa1.jpg

Yoshi

Don't sweat over these little things. You haven't done any harm, don't worry. They just don't want you to set a cruise on and drive for hundreds of kilometers during the break-in. The primary reason is that oil retainer rings around pistons need some time to settle properly.
One hard brake wouldn't do any harm. It just takes time for the brake material to transfer to the brake rotors properly, so the brakes would last longer and with less issues.
Someone would have bought a car from 80-ies to get metal shavings in the oil at break-in. Doesn't happen anymore.
And you'd be hard-pressed to get recommended 0w20 oil that is not synthetic. Just follow the owner's manual and watch what your mechanic use.

Hi yugrus, thanks for your input, feel much better :) One more question regarding on the gas, I know this car takes regular, and it is using regular right now, full-tank from dealer, but does use premium gas have any benefits ? I am thinking about putting shell V-Power in it just to test it out, what is your take on this. Many thanks

No benefit whatsoever. Part of Skyaktiv technology is the engine that has very high compression ratio without need for premium gas. Higher octane gas has only one benefit, higher detonation resistance, and you don't need that. In fact, the premium gas composition is such that it produces less energy per its mass while burning (because of additives and such).
Besides, your direct-injection engine will not benefit that much from cleaners and other stuff they advertise in V-power. Theoretically, only injectors themselves could, but that's a long stretch. The pictures of the before and after valves that you see in Shell's adds don't apply here, the gas doesn't hit valves...

Too bad you screwed-up your car. Now you will have to sell it and buy another one, or better yet, total it and let the insurance company buy you one.

(Just messing with you. Enjoy the car and don't be so worried. You didn't ruin it.)

You don't need TPMS sensors either, Mazda's system works off of the difference in tire rotation counts, through ABS.
Try Costco, see what you can get there. Pretty good deals on WS80. Get steel rims for winter tires and go down to 17". 225/65R17 has the same circumference as original 19" tires, if you have that. If smaller, the options are even broader.

be sure to check the dates of manufacture by reading the code on the sidewall. See the internet for help. Discount tires are well known to sell older tires.

Stop acting like a baby and get some ultra racing chassis bars ands tuff - see my sig aftermarket parts reference.

In fact, the premium gas composition is such that it produces less energy per its mass while burning (because of additives and such).

Not true, for Shell fuels at least. The regular 87 contains 10% ethanol, thus has a lower energy density than the premium 91 which contains no ethanol.

I found a deal on my local Kijiji and wondering will the ford TPMS works with CX5...and if this is a decent deal...New set of ws80 cost around 800 just for the tire, wheel and TPMS cost 60 each...ouch...(help)

LINK: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/edmonton/blizzak-winter-tires-for-2008-2012-ford-escape/1027484759
As mentioned already, the CX5 doesn't use the monitor inside the rim, one less cost for us.
Why would you buy used when a few extra bucks gets new. These would fit but with 8/32, most of the good winter tread is already gone. A couple more thou and you can run them in the summer as an all season. Unless you get them real cheap, I wouldn't bother.
Costco has the WS80 for just over $600 OTD, they sell steel and aluminum rims that come from the same supplier as a lot of the other shops use.

You sort of answered your own question.

so ask yourself........if you buy the used for $600 and get 1 or maybe 2 years from them ....or .....spend your $800 and get 4-5 years (plus free rotate, flat repairs, balancing), what's the best deal?

Thanks for the inputs, I am also looking to get a set of winter tire, it's snows crazy here...I found a deal on my local Kijiji and wondering will the ford TPMS works with CX5...and if this is a decent deal...New set of ws80 cost around 800 just for the tire, wheel and TPMS cost 60 each...ouch...(help)

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123843503-4-Hakkapeliitta-Snow-Tires-596-00

Here is a thread on winter tires. My thinking, I like used wheels They look good and save money. For tires I want the best I can find. Good Tires prevent body damage. Hakkapeliitta

Hi yugrus, thanks for your input, feel much better :) One more question regarding on the gas, I know this car takes regular, and it is using regular right now, full-tank from dealer, but does use premium gas have any benefits ? I am thinking about putting shell V-Power in it just to test it out, what is your take on this. Many thanks

Just use 87 octane as manual specifies. No benefit to running premium gas.
Don't set your transmission for stress factors like the North American brutes on this forum. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXdZpYyqjPw

Just drive your vehicle normally and follow the factory engineers recommendations as to oil changes. I think the first change is scheduled for 5,000 miles or somewhat earlier. Manufactures assemble engines using anti-scuff additives to protect parts during break-in and you have an oil filter to protect. Changing too early can be detrimental. So, don't baby or drive it hard for a 1,000 miles or more. My last 4 vehicles got sold at ~ 125,000 miles without any engine or oil consumption issues. You have a very nice vehile so enjoy it. Ed

Not true, for Shell fuels at least. The regular 87 contains 10% ethanol, thus has a lower energy density than the premium 91 which contains no ethanol.

Mmm... I accept what you're saying, but I still have to see the evidence that 91 does not contain ethanol. It is mandatory in Ontario anyway, so..
I have been sooo wrong before though, I should make it my signature...

Mmm... I accept what you're saying, but I still have to see the evidence that 91 does not contain ethanol. It is mandatory in Ontario anyway, so..
I have been sooo wrong before though, I should make it my signature...

On the V-Power pumps in Winnipeg, it clearly states that it does not contain any ethanol. I suppose regional rules might alter that, but I doubt it....... just wouldn't be cost effective for them to have so many different mixes.

I did some digging and it looks like that the federal law mandates 5% average of ethanol for all gasoline suppliers. Shell claims no ethanol in 91 V-Power gasoline "where available" and puts 10% in 87 and 5% into 89 to make the mandatory average. So yeah, they mix things quite a bit.

OK, but you agree then that the premium contains no ethanol? And that the premium has a higher energy density than regular?

My remark applied to equally oxygenated gasolines, higher vs lower octane.
It's obvious that no-ethanol gas, even higher octane (more anti-detonation additives with less energy) would contain more energy per mass then highly oxygenated lower-octane gas. However Shell's "where available" clause kinda implies that it's not available everywhere.
For our 2.5-2.0L engines this wouldn't make any difference anyway.

Back