Just put a deposit on a 2015 CX-5 Sport... Nervous. Questions.

beckster

:
CX-5 Sport 6 Speed
Hey all,

I currently own a 2004 Mazda3 that I really love but unfortunately the rust has completely taken over in a matter of months thanks to Northeast winters. Very irritating. It needs more work than it's worth at this point.

This afternoon I stopped at my local VW/Mazda dealership because I saw a used Subaru online I was interested in. I got a new job recently, now financially I'm able to seriously consider getting something newer. I was looking at late 2000s early 2010s Subarus but couldn't find exactly what I wanted. They all had too many miles or were automatic (I want a manual, hate driving auto). I didn't really want to spend more than $15-18k. A new car was pretty much off the table for me until today.

Long story short, I got talked into test driving a 2015 CX-5 Sport FWD 6 speed manual. I was really impressed. I had been researching them since they came out, so I've always loved them but didn't think I could afford one. We crunched some numbers and while they didn't go lower than MSRP ($22,375), they did drop the down payment to $1000 and they're giving me $1000 for my 3 and $500 loyalty. I kinda got screwed with my 3 and still owe $2800 on it, so that'll have to be rolled over but it is what it is. From what I understand, the total loan amount is going to be about $25,000 including taxes and my current loan.

When I sat down to negotiate, right away I told them I didn't want to pay more than $375 a month and they said they'll be able to do that for me. So I put a $750 deposit down this afternoon and they said I can come back whenever and pay the rest and take it home. I'm planning on doing that Monday after work.

This is my first new car... I've always bought used cars that would last me just long enough until I could afford another junker. I'm excited but nervous... I'm afraid I'll get taken advantage of. Before I sign all the paperwork... What should I make sure of? I'm going to ask for an itemized breakdown of the costs of everything. Are there any hidden costs I should know about? How do I get them to throw in extras, like free oil changes or accessories?

How has everyone's FWD performed in snow? I don't plan on driving if it's too bad out... But I'm just unsure if I should settle for a FWD if I can find a used Subaru for a lower price. I love Mazda and the CX-5 is a gorgeous car, I just want to be 100% sure of my decision before I sign those papers.

Thanks everyone.

In the future, never negotiate by telling them how much you want to pay per month. They can do all sorts of things to get your monthly payment where you want it, but you end up paying more in the long run. Always negotiate on the actual price of the vehicle. Go to edmunds.com and look up the True Market Value of your exact trim and options in your area. You should probably be able to get it for even less than that, but certainly not more. Don't let them charge for b.s. things like "document fees" and stuff like that. Ask for an itemized list of every charge and don't be afraid to question everything. If something makes you uncomfortable or doesn't seem right, walk away.

In the future, never negotiate by telling them how much you want to pay per month. They can do all sorts of things to get your monthly payment where you want it, but you end up paying more in the long run. Always negotiate on the actual price of the vehicle. Go to edmunds.com and look up the True Market Value of your exact trim and options in your area. You should probably be able to get it for even less than that, but certainly not more. Don't let them charge for b.s. things like "document fees" and stuff like that. Ask for an itemized list of every charge and don't be afraid to question everything. If something makes you uncomfortable or doesn't seem right, walk away.

Use a loan calculator so you aren't in the dark about what you are really paying.
Here is one I just stumbled on doing a search.
https://www.bankofamerica.com/auto-loans/car-payment-calculator.go

Make sure you know if the loan is 48 months or 60 months. Know the interest rate. Makes a big difference.

Thank you for your quick replies! Very good to know... I will definitely find out how long the term is. I don't want a loan term longer than the standard warranty, so I'll make sure it's less than 60 months. The salesman said my interest rate would be around 2%, which is what I expected. They were decent with me when it came to the down payment... Only $1,000. I've been paying off my credit cards the past couple months and haven't had much cash on hand, so I was glad they negotiated with me on that.

They didn't really want to budge on the price... I think it's because I'm only 22. But I have a steady, secure job I enjoy and a decent income. I wasn't expecting to have to negotiate today, but I'll be better prepared mentally Monday when I go to sign everything.

Any word on how the FWD handle in rough weather?

Hey, welcome! I'm also 22, heh.

Negotiating with the dealership was sort of easy for me, since I compared them with another dealership that was only 30 minutes away. I know they have some bad blood with the other Mazda dealership, so they lowered the sticker price a few grand for me because I kept mentioning the other one (at one point, I almost walked out, but they grabbed my attention with lowering the MSRP way below than what I expected...). Granted, my monthly payments are fairly high (more than yours!), but that's because I chose a 5 year route with 0% interest.

Last edited:
Hey, welcome! I'm also 22, heh.

Negotiating with the dealership was sort of easy for me, since I compared them with another dealership that was only 30 minutes away. I know they have some bad blood with the other Mazda dealership, so they lowered the sticker price a few grand for me because I kept mentioning the other one (at one point, I almost walked out, but they grabbed my attention with lowering the MSRP way below than what I expected...). Granted, my monthly payments are fairly high (more than yours!), but that's because I chose a 5 year route with 0% interest.

Ahh that's funny! And a good idea. There's another Mazda dealership nearby, but unfortunately they don't have any of the Sport 6 speeds on their lots, they're all Touring and Grand Touring and obviously the price reflects that. Thanks for the suggestions!

There's a thread on here titled "how much did you pay for your Mazda" or something close to that.

I believe you are severely over paying. If you haven't gotten them to go lower than sticker, you are paying to much, regardless of your age.

Contact another dealer through email and say "can you beat this price that "dealers name" gave me?" Since your currently paying full price, they certainly will give you a better offer.

Your choice is to take the deal or go to your original dealer saying you've been given a better offer and ask them to beat it.

Check out that thread, it could save you thousands.

Lastly, most people claim to pay about $2,000 under MSRP. Regardless of trim, loan, accessories, etc.

I paid 26k prior to taxes and registration costs for a 2015 grand touring.

Never pay MSRP, and to keep you under $375 a month with a $1000 down you'll have a 72 month term on your loan. I can almost guarantee they will throw in some added costs to get you right under that $375 mark you told them. I do hours of research on pricing for my specific vehicle, so I walk into that dealership already knowing what I will and will not pay. Just like these other guys have said, find a comparable vehicle at another dealership and negotiate the final price with TT&L. Do not worry about your trade-in until you hammer out the price on the new car, then you can mention your trade-in. You already know this first dealer is offering you $1500 with loyalty, so you have that in your back pocket in case this next dealer offers less.

I'll even help you out and give you my breakdown of a vehicle purchase. It happens this way damn near every time with almost every competent salesman and dealership that want to sell you a vehicle. Brand new vehicles like this 2015 model you want usually never have rebates, so your limited on how low you can go. I would walk in, tell them what you're interested in and let them sit you down while they grab the numbers off the vehicle you want. They'll ask you how much you want to put down, any trade-ins, blah blah blah. Just say no not right now and they will come back with an estimate with a final price. Just glance at the bottom number, push the paper back, and tell them YOUR number.......I want $21k out the door (TT&L included). The salesman will come back with a counter offer, which will most likely be half way to your offer, and you tell him your number again, "$21k OUT THE DOOR, that's all I can do." He'll tell you he can't do it, blah blah blah as you politely tell him to take it to his manager and come back with what you're willing to pay. This time, they will either match it or come damn near close to it. At that point, you hold on to that piece of paper and tell the salesman how much you want to put down and that you have a trade-in.....now you can compare that next estimate they give you with your down payment and trade-in value so they don't sneak anything in. Remember! you have a $1500 trade-in offer sheet from the last dealer....

I always have my Loan Calculator app in hand so I know the monthly payments as the final numbers come rolling out.

$21,000 including TT&L for the CX-5 Sport
$2800 rolled over from trade-in
-$1000 trade-in credit
-$500 loyalty cash
-$1000 down payment
= $21,300
2% APR for 60 months
Monthly payment = $374

Last edited:
Also isn't your 3 a FWD also so you should know what the performance feels like just that you will be sitting higher now.

If you do give them a monthly figure you're trying to stay in, also, know how many years. I went to purchase once, and told them, something like: $300/month for 36 months = $10,800. They tried the, well, we can do 300 for 48 months, what's 12 more months, of course, that is: = $14,400. I said, sure, I'll go 48 months, but, I'll only pay $225, which also equals the $10,800. They then realized their dealing with someone that knows how to do basic math, and let me leave.

I hope you get the transaction to work out. Don't be afraid to get your deposit back and walk away if the numbers don't come together. I returned a car after 3 days of driving it when the dealer changed the numbers on me. Ended up being one of the best financial moves I ever did. Advantage of buying new is dealers swap inventory.

The CX5 Sport Manual does fine in the snow. As said above, it'll be similiar to your 3 but with better clearance which will make busting through snowbanks easier. Snow tires help out tremendously. An AWD Subaru may take off faster than a FWD but add snow tires and you'll stop and turn sooner and safer than the AWD on all season tires will. It'll mean spending a bit more out of pocket since winter is coming but it'll still be cheaper than paying for AWD and you'll have the fun of doing your own shifting.

Carsdirect.com is showing a price of $1500 under MSRP (including the loyalty $500) They say there is "special pricing" until 10/31. Put in your zip code and try one of their dealers. No one pays close to MSRP for your average car. $500 over invoice seems to be standard without haggling and you can work from there. Anyway here in NJ fwd works fine in the snow. I love a stick in the snow because I feel I have more control and can downshift instead of brake. To be fair I don't have many hills to deal with where I am. Also, when you buy new tires make sure they work well in the snow - not all 4 season tires are created equal. Good luck

Debt is not good

You are 22 and you have a chance to buy a New Mazda CX-5, that's great. You also have a chance to live the rest of your life debt free. and BTW get incredible deals for cars because you are paying cash. I urge you to take the weekend and ponder what it would be like to have no debt. Yes, people do live debt free, normal people with normal jobs. The difference is they are not locked in. A new career opens up but it means taking a pay hit for a couple of months, No problem. You just got a new boss and suddenly your job sucks, if only you could quit and travel the world for a year, you can. Want to go work with missions somewhere for a year, You can do that. In short, without debt you are in charge of your life.

Think about it. Then check out http://www.daveramsey.com/home/

The short version for cars is this. Your Mazda 3 runs good but has rust, You keep it until it is paid off. Once it is paid off you make car payments to your self until you have enough to buy what you want. Once you get that car you keep making payments to your self until you have all the toys you want and money for the next ones, then your money can go some where else. Yes, it does happen. You get to a point where you have the car, you have the ATV, you have the house and you have no debt and can sit around deciding what to do next.

“If you will live like no one else, later you can live like no one else.”

Last edited:
I leased mine.(boom01)

I have driven in 6" snow and it did just fine.

WOW, you guys have two CX-5s?? You must really like them!!

I really like cx5's for the high mpg and all the advantages of a small suv.
My wife is not quite as happy as I am with her car because she wants more "luxury". Whatever.

I really like cx5's for the high mpg and all the advantages of a small suv.
My wife is not quite as happy as I am with her car because she wants more "luxury". Whatever.

hmmmm, I guess what does she mean by "Luxury"?? Leather seats, Heated seats, heated mirrors, I guess I've never had an actual "Luxury" brand, so, don't know what bells and whistles you usually get with a Lexus, Audi, Infinity, Acura, etc...???

She probably wants higher quality interior material, better drive feel, more power etc.

Back