2014 Mazda CX-5 sill suff plates

fvansan

:
2014 mazda cx 5 gt
I see there are many sill scuff plates for the 2014 CX-5 going for less than $40 and all from China. Has anyone installed any of these and how do they compare to the OEM ones? They say they are made from Stainless Steel, but I am guessing they are of a thinner metal and perhaps they are just cheap brushed steel made to look like stainless that will rust over time. Thanks for your help, it is appreciated!

I have they look ok to me. Quality good better or same as oem I do not know. Have not seen oem. I would guess oem are also made in China for Mazda.

I have the OEM sill plates and I wish they had a small lip to wrap around the sill a bit, like some aftermarket ones have.

I chose not to go with ones from aliexpress because if you search some threads here, you will see that some members have bought sill plates from aliexpress and they had a very harsh SMELL. I believe some of the members even ended up removing them because the smell was so strong and would not dissipate.

I did however buy a rear bumper sill protector from aliexpress in stainless steel. It has a small lip to cover the curve of the bumper which is great. I had the OEM rear bumper sill cover and I removed it because it looked very aftermarket with a thick black lip around it..it also did not have the lip to cover the curve of the bumper. I have had it on for 3 months so far and no signs of rust yet.

The sill plates you find on Aliexpress and Ebay are pieces of very thin stamped steel. Look closely and you will see the stamping is not uniformed and have poor creasing in the plate. The lip are formed poorly enough to gouge the paint when given enough pressure. Some have the black plastic trim protector lined at the edges, but as mentioned before, it looks tacky and cheap

They say they are made from Stainless Steel, but I am guessing they are of a thinner metal and perhaps they are just cheap brushed steel made to look like stainless that will rust over time.

You should realize not all "stainless steel" is created equal. Being in the machining industry there are many different flavors of any metal available and it is best to know the specifications of the metal itself (likely not given for aftermarket car parts). I doubt these are made from higher nickel/chromium steel.

http://mightynest.com/blog/stainless-steel-all-about-food-grade-304-188-and-1810

My Chinese ones have been on nearly two years. No signs of rust. My son has metal cleats for baseball and I am glad I have them. Even though I stress to not kick the car on his way in or out. He has scratched them. So I feel they work perfectly and the price was right. I did double up the two sided tape prior to install.

I received the sill plates fro allexpress and they are a quality ones for $24.00. They are not cheap stamp outs and seem to be a good buy Lucky me!

The enclosed business card says: ZHENGZHOU SHENGLAN TRADING CO LTD CHINA. Each plate (all 4)are stamped Mazda CX-5, with two diamond shapes overlapping each other at each end of the wording "Mazda..."and the bottom of each plate is shaped downward around the edge of the sill. They are actually very nice, but have been on the car only one day. Received them from China in one week.

Last edited:
Back