Looking at a CX5 AND RAV4...does anyone here regret buying the CX5? Or the trim level

I am being offered a CX5 Touring with a Dealer install of the NAV. It is coming in at about the same price as a RAV4 with NAV.
I know that it makes no sense to get the 2.0 litre motor, so the Sport is not in play.
If you got a Cx5 Touring, do you regret not getting the Grand Touring, and vice versa?
Do you think the $600 upgrade for Nav in the Touring is worth the cost?

I got the 2015 CX-5 Touring, 2.5L FWD, and Loving it!! The GT doesn't offer anything I want over the Touring. Sure, AWD would be nice, but, if I can't get around in the snow with FWD, then I probably shouldn't be out. I didn't want to pay $1,200 more and lose 2mpg from AWD(vs FWD).

For me, the FWD Touring /w Bose/moonroof option was optimal. The GT didn't offer me anything that I needed. The stock stereo is lousy, so Bose is mandatory and sounds pretty good. The infotainment has flaws in USB and iphone support, but CD, bluetooth, and digital FM are great. I've heard the nav is lousy on CX-5, so might be best to save your money and get a $100 window mounted GPS. I usually replace my window GPS every couple of years, and wouldn't like updating dash GPS regularly. The CX-5 is better than others for; efficiency, power, handling. Its handling is more like driving a car than a SUV. I'm happy with mine. Search youtube for comparison reviews, and you'll find ALL prefer CX-5 over Rav4.

Last edited:
My GF is the driver of this vehicle. I guess going with the cheapest 2.5 litre car would be the best option, and then I can buy a Garmin and slap it on the dash.

I use the Garmin Nuvi GPS, with weighted/friction dashboard mount, instead of window mount. Both might run $100 to $120, much better than the Tom-Tom that is the CX-5 build-in GPS.

In Canada, if I want Bose and Tech package I have to go GT but that an extra $5000 over the Touring version with AWD or $3000 without the Tech.

My GF is the driver of this vehicle. I guess going with the cheapest 2.5 litre car would be the best option, and then I can buy a Garmin and slap it on the dash.

Listen to the stock radio a lot, and you may spring for the Bose.
Like your username. I shoulda gone with "Not Sure" in honor of a great movie.

I have a 2013 Touring and no regrets so far and yes that’s with the 2.0L engine. As far as GPS if you have a smartphone you have a better GPS than most vehicles would include from the factory and there’s multiple apps that provide offline navigation. I don’t regret getting the Touring instead of the GT but that’s more of a personal choice.

I was in your position, except instead of the RAV4, it was the Subaru Forester. I went with the CX-5 because of how it drives (silky smooth!) and the infotainmentit feels better to drive and more well-rounded overall. It's definitely worth it.

Also, the Bose/sunroof upgrade is fantastic. I'd spring for that. I personally didn't care for the Navigation because Google Maps / Waze is better, IMO. I purposely bought the Touring over the Grand Touring because it was a few thousand dollars cheaper and I don't feel any differences? I don't regret it or anything, lol.

Last edited:
If you were going to do A LOT of off roading, or live in Alaska or Canada with a lot more snow, then maybe the Foresters AWD might make a difference, but, most of us don't do that.

Speaker upgrade makes a big difference, so in my opinion the Bose it is not worth it. I have just installed a Kenwood double din nav unit, so infotainment is not an issue anymore.
Aftermarket HIDs looks very good with this car, pretty good cut off.
Tech package it would be nice, but you have to get the Bose/sunroof package too and then it's to expensive.
I don't care for leather, I had in my Jaguar, Mercedes, Volvo and I can live without it.

Currently, there are many having issues with the eMail/Text to speech, not working with most Android phones, and I don't think it works at all with iPhone. Hopefully there'll be a firmware update by the end of October that will fix it.

AWD GS in Canada here, most directly comparable to the US Touring. We get the sunroof in this trim, so the only thing I miss from the higher end model is the climate control.

Not even remotely interested in the Bose; if I want something better I will go aftermarket.
Not even remotely interested in the Nav; if I want something better I will go aftermarket.
Not even remotely interested in the 19" wheels; more expensive, heavier, possibly harsher.
AWD essential for me here in Canada, don't much see the point of the FWD.
Leather, take it or leave it.

I sort of regretted the trim level.. Got the 2014 Touring w/ moonroof + bose... But I want the automatic climate control and advance keyless entry which I would have to get the tech package on the GT..

Yeah, I went with the 2015 Touring because it comes standard with the advance keyless entry, I kind of like it. :)

I went with the grand Touring but without the tech package. The two things I miss are the hands free lock and unlock as you approach the car (I think that is stock on the 2015, and the HID headlights. The projector headlights are not bad and you can put in brighter bulbs but if I had to drive in the country at night every night of the week I would have sprung for it. I am not to concerned about the nav because the Garmen ETC are so good. I have mine permanently installed on the lower left windshield and wired on with the ignition. I like it and if it is obsolete in a couple of years I can upgrade it.

I wouldn't bother with a $600 built in Navi. Buying a window one or just using your cellphone works really well already. Window mount GPS's are cheaper. Phone as a navi = you already have.

2014.15 GT w/ Tech (Canadian) here.

I hate the stereo/nav. I wanted Xenon lights so I paid way too much for the tech package, but the nav is useless compared to my phone, and the Bose stereo sounds ok, but isn't really any better than the stock stereo in my 2009 Mazda 3.

The iPhone integration is awful, the usb thumb drive implementation is awful, and there's really nothing good about the stereo and nav as far as I'm concerned.

I'm really looking forward to replacing the whole thing with a carPlay compatible unit from Pioneer or Alpine, but that will cost me $1k minimum after install.

With the new '15 CR-V Touring with lane departure,adaptive cruise,collision mitigation braking system,power tailgate,better infotainment/Nav system,better MPGs and resale value.......yes.(sad1)

Back