Spiders invading my CX5

:
Mazda CX-5 AWD Touring
So I've had my CX5 since aug2013 and pretty much since then I've always found spiders in my car. There not very big, there yellowish and from reading around the net they are yellow sac spiders. The same spiders that caused all of Mazdas recalls on the 6. I don't know how they got in there but they got to go, will the dealer get rid of the spiders since it seems to be a known issue with Mazdas? Anyone else have the same issue or had and fixed it or mazda fixed it?

Interesting; from Wikipedia:
Attraction to vehicle engines:
An unspecified Cheiracanthium species is attracted to the smell of petroleum and has caused problems by weaving webs inside the canister vent of particular models of Mazda vehicles, resulting in blockages and build-up of pressure that could potentially cause fuel leakage from the fuel tank and an increased risk of fire. Mazda issued a voluntary recall of Mazda 6 models built between 2010-2012, to fit them with software which would alert drivers if problems were developing

Both the 6 and the CX-5 are made in Japan and that's one of the homes of these critters. So I guess all of their vehicles are subject to infestation.

Raid Fumigators work great. They create gas/smoke, not aerosol so really get into cracks. You put them in water and they create gas. Look for the tall blue boxes in the store. Set one of those off in your garage leaving all the doors open in your CX-5. No more spiders.

When I left CA, I set one off in my garage before packing up. Glad I did since I found a number of deceased black widow spiders.

The crazy part of the mazda recall is that they don't get rid of the spider just add a sesor that tells you if the fuel pressure changed in a dangerous way. How bout you get rid of the spiders.

UPDATE: I called the dealer and they said they are aware of the problem that is doesn't not effect my model but that the spiders still being in the car from the factory could be true but they is no way of knowing. He suggested I put dryer sheets in the car that will repell the spiders. I also plan on getting the car detailed underbody wash inside and out. So finger crossed. I do not want to use any sprays or bug bomb I have a 4 month old.

Last edited:
I'm looking to get a 2015 CX-5 Touring as well. Has anyone else run into these problems?

Thanks so much!

Two years and no spiders.

I have to laugh at the things people worry about here, generally people with a very low post count.

Funnily enough, I actually had to deal with this problem the first week I brought my CX-5 home. All of the windows were sealed shut before I got out of the car and parked it normally in my garage. Nine hours later, when leaving for work, a small spider somehow managed to get inside my car and build a spiderweb across the driver seat window to my steering wheel. Needless to say, I killed it pretty damn fast and got rid of the web. I haven't had this occur for me since that, but now discovering that this is a potential issue is kind of... annoying?

Last edited:
So I've had my CX5 since aug2013 and pretty much since then I've always found spiders in my car. There not very big, there yellowish and from reading around the net they are yellow sac spiders. The same spiders that caused all of Mazdas recalls on the 6. I don't know how they got in there but they got to go, will the dealer get rid of the spiders since it seems to be a known issue with Mazdas? Anyone else have the same issue or had and fixed it or mazda fixed it?

The yellow sac spiders have gotten a lot of press and been a problem for several Japanese makes and models. Its worthwhile knowing someone actually has a number living in their CX-5. FYI, those with high post counts don't represent the views of everyone else here.

FYI, those with high post counts don't represent the views of everyone else here.

I wasn't saying those with high post counts were more representative of anything other than they have a more verifiable history of being authentic.

But those who are in the negative advertising industry (paid to scare buyers from competing brands and thus maintaining market share of less innovative products) are notorious for having multiple aliases with low post counts. Of course we all started with low post counts but we didn't all start by suggesting that somehow the car under discussion is more appealing to spiders than competing models. The fact is, nothing about the CX-5 makes it any more or less appealing to spiders than any other new car model.

But someone who has arachnophobia (irrational fear of spiders) is not likely to buy a CX-5 after reading that post. Because arachnophobia affects 3.5 to 6.1 percent of the global population, that could be a very effective strategy for a competing brand to maintain market share in the face of the type of brilliant innovation that the CX-5 represents.

If you can't beat 'em, scare 'em.

Hey guys, I'm new to this site, and was looking to see if any one else had this issue.. I used to have a toyota and never had this issue.. this is the first mazda i've owned and love

But I've noticed this issue lately, I've seen flys, mosquito's (and very tiny flying bugs) coming inside the car and a very high amount just sitting on my windshield; i didn't think much of it but just now as i was driving home i saw some sort of bug/spider crawling really fast towardsthe windhsield and went into the "window defroster air conditioner thing"

any ideas on what i should do?

I think a leprechaun lives in mine. I keep finding gold coins in my glove box, my cup holders are full of Lucky Charms cereal and my tail pipe keeps shooting out rainbows.

Sorry to those with a real infestation problem, just couldn't resist! (lol)

I'm just glad mikem is ok havent seen him in a while. I havent had spiders in my car.

Hey guys, I'm new to this site, and was looking to see if any one else had this issue.. I used to have a toyota and never had this issue.. this is the first mazda i've owned and love

But I've noticed this issue lately, I've seen flys, mosquito's (and very tiny flying bugs) coming inside the car and a very high amount just sitting on my windshield; i didn't think much of it but just now as i was driving home i saw some sort of bug/spider crawling really fast towardsthe windhsield and went into the "window defroster air conditioner thing"

any ideas on what i should do?

Clean out your cabin air filter in the spring? Cause there is where he will be, deader than a door nail.

I think a leprechaun lives in mine. I keep finding gold coins in my glove box, my cup holders are full of Lucky Charms cereal and my tail pipe keeps shooting out rainbows.
Sorry to those with a real infestation problem, just couldn't resist! (lol)

I heard the color Blue Sky Mika attracts earwigs. And no, its not true earwigs will crawl into your ear and eat your brains regardless of what you've seen on Night Gallery.
This fellow swears to it. (gah)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7cnyIV50Iw

Last edited:
I wasn't saying those with high post counts were more representative of anything other than they have a more verifiable history of being authentic.

But those who are in the negative advertising industry (paid to scare buyers from competing brands and thus maintaining market share of less innovative products) are notorious for having multiple aliases with low post counts. Of course we all started with low post counts but we didn't all start by suggesting that somehow the car under discussion is more appealing to spiders than competing models. The fact is, nothing about the CX-5 makes it any more or less appealing to spiders than any other new car model.

But someone who has arachnophobia (irrational fear of spiders) is not likely to buy a CX-5 after reading that post. Because arachnophobia affects 3.5 to 6.1 percent of the global population, that could be a very effective strategy for a competing brand to maintain market share in the face of the type of brilliant innovation that the CX-5 represents.

If you can't beat 'em, scare 'em.

I have to agree with Mike on this one and it's ironic that Halloween is just around the corner too.

I heard the color Blue Sky Mika attracts earwigs. And no, its not true earwigs will crawl into your ear and eat your brains regardless of what you've seen on Night Gallery.

No, it's true, earwigs do crawl in your ears and eat your brains out. Happens all the time and it's especially common with people who use natural organic shampoos and soaps instead of sticking to more proven brands. I read about it in an article written by a journalist so I know it's true.(lol)

Here's a reasonable perspective on the gas loving spider myth:

http://www.scilogs.com/expiscor/mythbusting-gas-sniffing-spiders-are-not-invading-our-cars/

In any case, I wasn't aware that the gasoline in a Mazda smelled any different than the gasoline in any other brand of car.

Back