Side pillars

sweet

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT/ wit everyting
Is anyone else having this problem? The door pillar mouldings , driver's side only, seem like they have been over heated. They're actually warped. They have shiny (gloss) spots on them. It's a '14 GT. I had a '13 GT and never had this problem. I live in MA, so it's not like it's the sunniest or hottest state in the country.....Here's the kicker: They were REPLACED, for the same reason, 6 mos. ago, so this is the SECOND set of mouldings on the car...... I had the '13 GT for a year, they've both been parked in the same place, for the same amount of time. The '13 never had this problem.
If this has been posted before, please direct me to the thread.

EDIT: No Armor All or coating has ever been used on them.

IMG_0065_zpsc42a03ea.jpg

IMG_0063_zps4a7bf96c.jpg

Last edited:
Not yet but I have only had the CX5 for five months. It lives outside in Texas so I will keep watching.

I've had my car since Feb of 13. I have not noticed any of that. My car lives outside and gets plenty of direct sunlight.

I've had my car since Feb of 13. I have not noticed any of that. My car lives outside and gets plenty of direct sunlight.

I don't get it. This is the SECOND set on the car. The dealer replaced the first set without flinching. I'm trying to see if this is a common problem. They don't know it yet, but they're going to put a THIRD set on. Bottom line is I paid over $32000, I don't like it looking like crap!

Are you sure he replaced the first set? A bit of Amaroll and it will look brand new, for a while. Next time you have them replaced get a razor and cut a tiny mark at the top. When you get it back from repair, see if it went away.

Are you sure he replaced the first set? A bit of Amaroll and it will look brand new, for a while. Next time you have them replaced get a razor and cut a tiny mark at the top. When you get it back from repair, see if it went away.

I watched them replace the first set. I used to work at the dealership. It took a week for the parts to come in.....I tried armor all on the first set, still looked terrible. Where the glossy spots are, the textured finish is gone. The only way to describe it is, it looks like they've been burned off by a buffer. But they've NEVER been touched by a buffer. It started appearing about a month ago, and they're getting worse.

I watched them replace the first set. I used to work at the dealership. It took a week for the parts to come in.....I tried armor all on the first set, still looked terrible. Where the glossy spots are, the textured finish is gone. The only way to describe it is, it looks like they've been burned off by a buffer. But they've NEVER been touched by a buffer. It started appearing about a month ago, and they're getting worse.
so what could have removed the texture? Have you run it through a brush type car wash?

Yea man, I live in tx and my over 2 yr old 2013 never had that issue. It's possible that you park in a place with a sun reflection, kinda like how some windows reflect light and melt siding on peoples house? Otherwise, maybe there is an open circuit or hot wire under there (never looked behind the outside but I know on the inside of that pillar wiring runs through it).

Yea man, I live in tx and my over 2 yr old 2013 never had that issue. It's possible that you park in a place with a sun reflection, kinda like how some windows reflect light and melt siding on peoples house? Otherwise, maybe there is an open circuit or hot wire under there (never looked behind the outside but I know on the inside of that pillar wiring runs through it).
I was wondering if there were wires running through the B pillar. So after reading your post, I decided to at least look at the pillar. What I found is that the window frame doesn't touch the pillar at all, the weather stripping does, there's at least a 1/2" space from the pillar to the frame. Then I decided to peek UNDER the vent shades, to see if the discoloration or warping was visible there. Nope, it's like a line was drawn right at the vent shade. Therefore making the heat source an "outside" issue. I have thought about the reflective light idea, but the car is parked in an open parking lot that doesn't have anything that could reflect light that strong...Of course this doesn't mean it's not happening, I may just not be aware of it. It's making me crazy.....Thanks for the ideas.

Back