New 2015 CX5

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD
Got a new Touring on Monday 9/15. Turned in my 2013 Touring. Some thoughts. They have moved the advanced door locking system from the GT down to the Touring. Very handy. The shifter has done away with all the gates, it is now just a straight shot from Park back to Drive, with the manual off to the bottom left as before. It has the newer type of turn lights on the mirrors. Some one remarked that it would be nice now to be able to see the indicators from inside the car. Well not really, unless you have them folded against the side windows. Ah, the power, very nice. I never had a problem with the 155 hp one, but this is decidedly better. Of course among my vehicles have been a 1982 Jetta diesel with 52 hp, a 1985 Jetta Turbo Diesel with 68 hp, and a 2005 Golf TDI with 90 hp, so 155 hp always seemed like plenty, but you can never have enough hp, right. The suspension seems to take bumps a lot smoother, and quieter than before. The radio sound is better, at least to my ears. I went from the Ice Blue Mica to Blue Reflex Mica, which to me has kind of a bluish shale look about it. My 2013 had a lifetime average over 28,000 miles of 29.0 mpg, so it'll be interesting to see how this one does. The 29 mpg figure was based on 98 fill-ups. All in all I am very pleased with the 2015.

Cheers, Paul S

Got a new Touring on Monday 9/15. Turned in my 2013 Touring. Some thoughts. They have moved the advanced door locking system from the GT down to the Touring. Very handy. The shifter has done away with all the gates, it is now just a straight shot from Park back to Drive, with the manual off to the bottom left as before. It has the newer type of turn lights on the mirrors. Some one remarked that it would be nice now to be able to see the indicators from inside the car. Well not really, unless you have them folded against the side windows. Ah, the power, very nice. I never had a problem with the 155 hp one, but this is decidedly better. Of course among my vehicles have been a 1982 Jetta diesel with 52 hp, a 1985 Jetta Turbo Diesel with 68 hp, and a 2005 Golf TDI with 90 hp, so 155 hp always seemed like plenty, but you can never have enough hp, right. The suspension seems to take bumps a lot smoother, and quieter than before. The radio sound is better, at least to my ears. I went from the Ice Blue Mica to Blue Reflex Mica, which to me has kind of a bluish shale look about it. My 2013 had a lifetime average over 28,000 miles of 29.0 mpg, so it'll be interesting to see how this one does. The 29 mpg figure was based on 98 fill-ups. All in all I am very pleased with the 2015.

Cheers, Paul S

I just made the same switch! I agree with all of your observations. In addition, the door armrest material has been changed from cloth to vinyl, so that will be easier to keep looking nice and clean. The extra horse power is unnecessary, but AWESOME! I love the growl of the 2.5L!(drive)

Is the wind noise less with the new style mirrors?

Could be, I've only put around 230 miles on it so far. Maybe that's why the radio sounds better!

I think you'd get some disagreement on that. I haven't driven the 2.0L, but, it sounds pretty wimpy, but, sounds like the manual helps.

The 2.0L was not the most aggressive sounding thing I've ever driven. The 2.5L sounds better but I have yet do a full throttle acceleration next to a wall with the windows down on the pass side so I could hear it.

I just changed a 2013gtawd for 2015gtawd myself yesterday.. The engine sounds b (esp) with the c/s exhaust on and performs much better, very worth imo

I just changed a 2013gtawd for 2015gtawd myself yesterday.. The engine sounds b (esp) with the c/s exhaust on and performs much better, very worth imo

Congrats on the new CX-5! You wasted no time on moving the c/s exhaust to the new car. You get a different color?

Idiots should've, A. Never placed the 2.0l S-G into the CX-5, and B. included proximity key on the optioned out Touring trim from the get-go.

The 2.0l I've been able to live with. But, not having the proximity function has been aggravating.

Cheers, Paul S

I can't believe I just missed out on the advanced key. I just bought 1 1/2 month ago, and it didin't have it. This and HID were the two things I really wanted but too expensive. C'est la vie.

I just made the same switch! I agree with all of your observations. In addition, the door armrest material has been changed from cloth to vinyl, so that will be easier to keep looking nice and clean. The extra horse power is unnecessary, but AWESOME! I love the growl of the 2.5L!(drive)
off topic, but i've gotta ask...of all the mazdas you owned which one did you like and regret selling? oh, and congrats on the cx5!

Just asked about "Bose" because thought they may be the reason it sounded better; however I am VERY glad to hear that your radio sounds better which affirms the fact that the new mirrors are less noisy!

off topic, but i've gotta ask...of all the mazdas you owned which one did you like and regret selling? oh, and congrats on the cx5!

Too hard to make one choice...

87 Turbo II was my favorite sports car, with fresh tires, shocks, and open exhaust...

06 Mazda5 was the best do anything daily driver... again with fresh tires, fresh shocks, and sliding doors!

Congrats on the 2015 2.5L. Almost everybody seems to enjoy the extra power and better sound quality of the bigger engine.

Congrats on the 2015 2.5L. Almost everybody seems to enjoy the extra power and better sound quality of the bigger engine.

Earlier in thread Chris_Top_Her mentioned he "changed a 2013gtawd for 2015gtawd yesterday".
Your next!

Earlier in thread Chris_Top_Her mentioned he "changed a 2013gtawd for 2015gtawd yesterday".
Your next!

Not likely, I usually wait for next gen versions for the more significant changes. Chris_Top_Her certainly is getting his new project going....

My first tank results; 285.3 miles - 10.53G - 27.1 mpg - Probably 80% city driving. One oddity, the mpg on the dash display for the first time ever matched the pump calculation exactly.

Back