Programming your own remote key?

insyder

:
CX-5
Hi everyone,

Just got a 2013 CX-5, and unfortunately came with only one remote key. Dealership wants $120 for the remote, $20 to cut the key and $80 to program the remote. Seems like I can get the key online for about $80, and might try lowes or home depot for cutting, but was wondering if I can do my own programming or if theres a cheaper place to that? $220 seems kind of steep.

thanks

Try a reputable locksmith. They can do it too, not just the dealer. They might be able to get the remote cheaply as well.

Try a reputable locksmith. They can do it too, not just the dealer. They might be able to get the remote cheaply as well.

thanks! woke up this morning to a new cx-5 with a flat and not starting. Not a good first day and an extra key to buy....maybe i should've stuck to the ol faithful camry....

Why are people receiving only 1 key with their car?? All cars come with 2 keys including my cx-5. I have never heard of this before.

Looking through FSM it appears this is a dealer only function using something called the M-MDS. I assume this is something similar in the Mazda world to a Nissan Consult.

Why are people receiving only 1 key with their car?? All cars come with 2 keys including my cx-5. I have never heard of this before.
Read the OP. He "just got" a 2013 CX-5 (as in "used car"!) Previous owner did not supply the second key. Get it?

Looking through FSM it appears this is a dealer only function using something called the M-MDS. I assume this is something similar in the Mazda world to a Nissan Consult.
Like minnesotaart said above, this is usually something that can be done by a competent locksmith (mobile works best) for a fraction of what the dealer charges. I learned this the hard way on my wife's Miata. Bought parts online that were incorrect and the mobile locksmith had everything needed on his truck.

Like minnesotaart said above, this is usually something that can be done by a competent locksmith (mobile works best) for a fraction of what the dealer charges. I learned this the hard way on my wife's Miata. Bought parts online that were incorrect and the mobile locksmith had everything needed on his truck.

I agree any competent locksmith with non-Smart Key version.... not so much on the totally keyless version though. Well.. not totally keyless unless the battery is dead.

Back