SCBS kicked in today

djsiva

:
2014 AWD CX-5 GT w/ Tech Package
My SCBS kicked in today and scared the s**t out of me. It's the first time it's done it, and it's definitely a unique feeling. I wasn't going to hit the car in front of me, but I guess the SCBS system though I was going to.

So are you glad the system kicked in? Or would you have preferred to not have it in that situation?

Was your foot totally off the brake pedal, or did it "assist" you... were you not pressing the brake pedal hard enough?

A few months ago I too had the SCBS kick in unexpectedly. It actually put me IN danger by doing so. I was in the right lane when a car, many car lengths ahead of me was attempting to make a right hand turn. I was just coasting towards the car because I was anticipating for him to complete his turn, but if by the time I was close enough, if he was still waiting to make the turn (due to pedestrians crossing), I was going to accelerate around him using the left lane. Mere milliseconds before I was about to accelerate, I already started to turn the steering wheel left, my CX5 ground to a halt instantly. It left me ever so slightly diagonal, so the very front of the CX5 (bumper, front quarter panel in front of the wheel was in the left lane. It took me probably 10 SECONDS- which is a lot of time in this situation- to regain my bearings. It gave me whiplash from the sudden stop. I was completely shocked and confused what had happened until I saw SCBS flashing on the dash. By this time the car in the left lane which I was now jutting into actually stopped and honked at me. I quickly hit the gas and pulled back into my lane (the right) since by this time the car making the turn had completed his turn.

The concept of SCBS is good...but I think it still needs refinement. I also wish it worked up to higher speeds, such as 20-30mph, which it does not. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it works from 3-18mph? Since this is protection for city driving, I notice I am usually paying much more attention at the lower speeds (3-18mph is almost like a crawl), making the SCBS pointless. It is at the "higher" speeds of 20-30mph, 30 being the speed limit in NYC, that in my opinion it would be more useful. I will be doing 25-30mph when people will suddenly cut me off and STOP just to get 1 car length ahead right before a red light, or someone will back up out of their driveway without looking, as I am coming down the street doing the speed limit forcing me to jam on my brakes.

This was my only experience with SCBS and I really hope it is my last since I do not think it would work in a situation where I think it should work.

I've been tempted the next time we get something shipped in a large box, go to a deserted parking lot, roll up to the box, don't hit the brakes and give it a try. Just to feel it kick in.

A few months ago I too had the SCBS kick in unexpectedly. It actually put me IN danger by doing so. I was in the right lane when a car, many car lengths ahead of me was attempting to make a right hand turn. I was just coasting towards the car because I was anticipating for him to complete his turn, but if by the time I was close enough, if he was still waiting to make the turn (due to pedestrians crossing), I was going to accelerate around him using the left lane. Mere milliseconds before I was about to accelerate, I already started to turn the steering wheel left, my CX5 ground to a halt instantly. It left me ever so slightly diagonal, so the very front of the CX5 (bumper, front quarter panel in front of the wheel was in the left lane. It took me probably 10 SECONDS- which is a lot of time in this situation- to regain my bearings. It gave me whiplash from the sudden stop. I was completely shocked and confused what had happened until I saw SCBS flashing on the dash. By this time the car in the left lane which I was now jutting into actually stopped and honked at me. I quickly hit the gas and pulled back into my lane (the right) since by this time the car making the turn had completed his turn.

The concept of SCBS is good...but I think it still needs refinement. I also wish it worked up to higher speeds, such as 20-30mph, which it does not. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think it works from 3-18mph? Since this is protection for city driving, I notice I am usually paying much more attention at the lower speeds (3-18mph is almost like a crawl), making the SCBS pointless. It is at the "higher" speeds of 20-30mph, 30 being the speed limit in NYC, that in my opinion it would be more useful. I will be doing 25-30mph when people will suddenly cut me off and STOP just to get 1 car length ahead right before a red light, or someone will back up out of their driveway without looking, as I am coming down the street doing the speed limit forcing me to jam on my brakes.

This was my only experience with SCBS and I really hope it is my last since I do not think it would work in a situation where I think it should work.

That's pretty scary, but it did what it was designed to do. For sure it could be better, as this would be a very common situation. Maybe to prevent it, you'd merge out sooner rather than getting so close to the car in front.

However, I thought at speeds above 18mph it only beeps and warns you, but doesn't actually do anything to stop the car? Or is it supposed to beep and activate the brakes to slow you down, but not to a complete stop?

I don't think anything happens above 18 MPH.... not that I would ever try it be I notice cruise control can be set down to around 16MPH so technically it could act like a slow speed auto cruise. Doubtful it would work like this though. My Infiniti's intelligent cruise control won't work below 20 MPH and it has something called Preview Braking that moves the calipers closer to rotors if it believes an impact was imminent. The Infiniti will do partial braking (maybe 30%) but nothing like the Mazda although the new models will drive in stop and go traffic.

That's pretty scary, but it did what it was designed to do. For sure it could be better, as this would be a very common situation. Maybe to prevent it, you'd merge out sooner rather than getting so close to the car in front.

However, I thought at speeds above 18mph it only beeps and warns you, but doesn't actually do anything to stop the car? Or is it supposed to beep and activate the brakes to slow you down, but not to a complete stop?

I beg to differ...because I felt like I had plenty of room to safely travel around the car, which shocked me even more when I realized SCBS kicked in.

My situation was similar. The car was making a right turn in front of me so I had already slowed down, and then let off all the pedals. I was coasting, waiting on him to complete the turn, and I still had plenty of room to brake in case they came to a sudden stop. My SCBS didn't bring me to a complete stop, but it felt as though it pumped the brakes several times, very hard. It was also loud when it happened, and then I saw the light come on the dash indicating the SCBS activation.

I had mine kick in the 1st day I brought the vehicle home. Sometimes I pull into my garage while the door is still opening.
The CX-5 did not like that one bit... brakes slammed on - so I guess it works!
Lesson learned!

I've always wondered if it kicked in when the actual speed of the car was below 18-19 mph or if the difference in the closing speed was less than 18-19 mph.

I beg to differ...because I felt like I had plenty of room to safely travel around the car, which shocked me even more when I realized SCBS kicked in.

Interesting...I don't have the system, but it's always interesting to read about your guy's experiences with the system. I guess i would have thought the threshold would have been smaller to prevent that from happening.

Interesting...I don't have the system, but it's always interesting to read about your guy's experiences with the system. I guess i would have thought the threshold would have been smaller to prevent that from happening.

Just remember that SCBS doesn't know the road conditions, so it has to assume the road is wet/icy for stopping distance. I'd hope they use the outdoor temp for the possibility of ice.

Out of curiosity I might dig into fsm this evening and see if any further info shows up there. Unfortunately the Mazda fsm is somewhat less detailed than other makes.

Well after over a year of ownership and ~11500 miles it just happened to me.

I was pulling into my driveway and pressed the garage door opener. As the door was opening I moved ahead as I always do. Typically, I time my entry into the garage when the door has just opened high enough to allow me to enter. I have no idea what I did differently this time, but the SCBS kicked in prior to my entry and stopped the CX 5 immediately. Surprised the hell out me.

So yea, don't be a skeptic, it works.

Back