2015 CX-5, what to expect in terms of costs

:
1993 Miata, 2015 CX-5 GS FWD
Hello, we are on the verge of purchasing a Canadian model CX-5, GS trim. We are wondering what to expect in the first few years with respect to maintenance costs. Costs vary per dealer, it's more about what and when. Assuming we are going to do some of the basics such as fluids and oil changes ourselves, are there many/any major services? How much maintenance should we expect with the transmission and other major components? Thoughts about the mid-level entertainment system?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you plan to tow anything you will probably want to get the differential and transmission fluid changed every 48K kilometers. Not sure what dealer charges for this. I will probably do it myself.

you'll definitely save money on fuel, im getting an amazing 5.6l per 100km hwy driving with the 2.0l engine.

Well, we're in the club now... we pick up the car in two days. Really looking forward to it!

I'm just over 56k Miles and have minimal maintenence costs. Oil changes have been the biggest since it takes synthetic. Other than that I've done air filter and rear brake pads. Oem tires need to be replaced (I run winter wheels and tires and have one season left on those) and I want to replace the transmission fluid before it gets too old. Never been to the dealer for problems. I average about 30 mpg with a cargo box on most of the time. Overall cost of ownership is very low. Biggest expenses are annual registrations since it's a newer car.

The only cost that is more then I anticipated is the oil as it is limited to Castrol or Mazda blends.

The Amsoil I was going to use before I read up on the Mazda Moly oil was going to cost more. I will be saving a slight amount using what appears to be a superior oil going OEM. I never thought I would be doing that. This is from someone who has used Amsoil in everything for the last 15 years.

So, I've read the manual regarding break-in, what are some real-world examples? How did you handle the first 1000 km?

I just tried to avoid fast starts and long continuous speeds. You should try to vary the speeds and they say not to tow anything as well for the initial break in period. Some argue hard break-ins...but I have always followed the recommended and gentle method and it has served me well.

I just tried to avoid fast starts and long continuous speeds. You should try to vary the speeds and they say not to tow anything as well for the initial break in period. Some argue hard break-ins...but I have always followed the recommended and gentle method and it has served me well.

Yes, I try to stick to the guidelines as well. It's been a while (15 years) since our last car so I can't recall what we did then. I was planning on avoiding manual shifting (I really like M mode for acceleration and braking) during the break-in period. Do you think it would be OK for some highway driving? We want to take it on vacation, there's maybe an hour on the highway but it is broken up with a ferry in the middle.

Yes, I try to stick to the guidelines as well. It's been a while (15 years) since our last car so I can't recall what we did then. I was planning on avoiding manual shifting (I really like M mode for acceleration and braking) during the break-in period. Do you think it would be OK for some highway driving? We want to take it on vacation, there's maybe an hour on the highway but it is broken up with a ferry in the middle.

I used my manual mode some during break-in. Maybe not use the cruise control on the highway...that should vary it up a bit.

Back