Roof Rack Success!

quant

:
2015 GT CX-5 w/ Tech Package
This weekend, I went roof rack shopping for my mountain bike. I my previous car I traded in I could put the entire bike, both wheels in the car with the seats folded down, with the cx-5 it is not possible, and I want to keep it cleaner.

So I got the thule aeroblade edge 7503. This is what the fit guide online said would fit the CX-5. They fit well, very snug, and do not move at all after installing. Fairly easy to adjust when needed to change the width of the bars to accommodate the bike holder. I like the look because there is no tower that is needed, and the sun roof still opens with the bike rack installed. The bars themselves do not even come close to the sun roof.

IMG_20140803_215954.jpg - front shot
IMG_20140803_220002.jpg - side shot
IMG_20140803_220014.jpg - closer shot

Looks good! (2thumbs)

I have a similar set up, but with yakima bike carriers. However, after a few slips/falls from lifting the bike up and down, I've opted for a tow hitch and tow hitch mounted bike carrier instead. Be sure your foot gets good grip when you do your step up onto the door sill! Just wanted to pass on that tip so you know what to be careful for. :)

Happy riding! (bike)

yea my shoulders joint's can't support weight well above my head especially at angles like that, wouldn't even try getting a bike down from that. Something bulky like a canoe sure.

I like it! how much for the whole setup? and also these are over the factory rails right. I don't have the rails but I'm looking to get and install.

Looks good! (2thumbs)

I have a similar set up, but with yakima bike carriers. However, after a few slips/falls from lifting the bike up and down, I've opted for a tow hitch and tow hitch mounted bike carrier instead. Be sure your foot gets good grip when you do your step up onto the door sill! Just wanted to pass on that tip so you know what to be careful for. :)

Happy riding! (bike)

Thanks for the tips and advice. Going for the first ride with the rack this afternoon. Have a 29er mountain bike and tested it a few times after I got the rack up. I didn't use the door sill, just stood on the ground, found I had more stability. I adjusted it a little bit to be closer to the edge of the rack and it was pretty easy. Just grab and fork and rear bracket.

I like it! how much for the whole setup? and also these are over the factory rails right. I don't have the rails but I'm looking to get and install.

I had the side rails done by the dealer before I picked the car up last week. I thought this would make my life easier when shopping around, and give me some flexibility when I need to adapt the setup to different storage configurations.

The cross bars Thule 7053 where 180$ x2
and the bike carrier was 200$
So total about $600 with tax.

Although it was expensive, I thought of this as a longer term investment. The cross bars I expect to have for a long time, and plan on getting some type of box for my skis for the winter, so it will be used for pretty much the whole year.

Thanks for the tips and advice. Going for the first ride with the rack this afternoon. Have a 29er mountain bike and tested it a few times after I got the rack up. I didn't use the door sill, just stood on the ground, found I had more stability. I adjusted it a little bit to be closer to the edge of the rack and it was pretty easy. Just grab and fork and rear bracket.

Wow. How tall are you? I'm 5'10" and I need to step up on the door sill. I'm using factory rails and crossbars, but I guess my bike carrier is a bit taller due to the use of universal cross bar mounts.

Here's my set up.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123829739-Pics-Yakima-King-Cobra-Installed-on-CX5-Factory-Roof-Rack&highlight=

Wow. How tall are you? I'm 5'10" and I need to step up on the door sill. I'm using factory rails and crossbars, but I guess my bike carrier is a bit taller due to the use of universal cross bar mounts.

Here's my set up.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123829739-Pics-Yakima-King-Cobra-Installed-on-CX5-Factory-Roof-Rack&highlight=

About 6' +/- a little bit, your mount seems to be a little higher, nice set up though. Why don't you adjust the mounting points to put the bike forward facing?

Dude, all I have to say is........your garage is waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too clean! (crazy)

Not my garage...lol Dad helped detail the car over the weekend, was letting sit over night, just had polished and sealed the car.

Back