Rear wheel well covers

JM33

:
Mazda 2014 CX-5 Touring
I was shocked to see fiber covers in the rear wheel wells instead of metal, plastic, etc. after I drove the vehicle home! I am thinking about pulling the wheels, removed the fiber covers and coating them with expoxy resin to seal the surface. Your thoughts?

I shovel off impacted snow and ice from the wheel wells so I wonder how long the fiber will last before holes are made in the cover.

There is a reason the higher end manufacturers use it.... Remove at your own discretion. There will be side effects

I was shocked to see fiber covers in the rear wheel wells instead of metal, plastic, etc. after I drove the vehicle home! I am thinking about pulling the wheels, removed the fiber covers and coating them with expoxy resin to seal the surface. Your thoughts?

Those are there for purpose. To muffle noise and protect better than thin and flimsy plastic. If you put any goo instead you're asking for rust which tends to form between goo and metal surface first.

Mazda (and other Japanese mfgrs) have used this material for several years. Better for sound deadening.

Back