Waxing my New Mazda - Is Polymer Paint Sealant a Good Idea?

dghollenbeck

:
Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
My Mada CX-5 is the first car that I have ever bought new. So, I want to make sure that I do not do something that would permanently damage the paint. The local detailer recommends washing, then using a clay bar and polymer paint sealant, then applying a Carabu Wax. Is this a good idea on the new finish? Or, is a good hand wax job best?

I don't believe Mazda has a paint that's more special than any other brands. One of the firsts things I did was wash, clay bar, wash, then waxed. Looks better than new and the clay bar pulled some contaminants. If you care about your vehicle, I'd recommend it (thumb)

I don't believe Mazda has a paint that's more special than any other brands. One of the firsts things I did was wash, clay bar, wash, then waxed. Looks better than new and the clay bar pulled some contaminants. If you care about your vehicle, I'd recommend it (thumb)

This is very true, going to do this this weekend, just got mine tonight, CX-5 15 GT AWD w/tech

I wish I had clay barred mine before I had the paint protectant/sealant applied at the dealer.

I wish I had clay barred mine before I had the paint protectant/sealant applied at the dealer.

Can't blame ya, most people don't think about these things with a new car. But, everyone needs to understand that just because a car is new doesn't mean there is no room for improvement.

Planning to Wash-n-Wax mine tomorrow, since I'm off work, I'll have all day. I've never done the clay bar thing. Just doesn't seem like a good idea to rub clay all over your finish. Guess I need to youtube it to learn more about it.

You will be shocked at how much smoother the paint will feel. Try it you will not be disappointed.

Planning to Wash-n-Wax mine tomorrow, since I'm off work, I'll have all day. I've never done the clay bar thing. Just doesn't seem like a good idea to rub clay all over your finish. Guess I need to youtube it to learn more about it.

Putting a highly explosive liquid in a metal enclosure that you're trapped in and mixing in a 40,000 volt spark also doesn't seem like good idea either unless you understand the concept.

I've only had my CX-5 2 months, is it appropriate to do the clay thing this early. Or, is that more for after it's had a year's worth of grunge accumulate on it??

I am going to clay and I have not even had it a week. There can be a lot of stuff from transportation and manufacturing that only claying can get up. After that, sealant and wax. Will be a long Saturday...but should be worth it

I've only had my CX-5 2 months, is it appropriate to do the clay thing this early. Or, is that more for after it's had a year's worth of grunge accumulate on it??

I clayed mine the first week I got it. As long as the paint is cured it's never too early. I removed some contaminants, and I'm sure traveling in a boat all the way from Japan will get some stuff embedded in it. Here's another shot after clayed. Also note the factory orange peel (ugh)
a6equpu8.jpg

Putting a highly explosive liquid in a metal enclosure that you're trapped in and mixing in a 40,000 volt spark also doesn't seem like good idea either unless you understand the concept.

This had me laughing all day - thank you sir!

Just wondering.. what kind of sealants are you guys using? I'm currently using blackfire paint sealant but planning to get a bottle of CG Jetseal 109

Congrats, hope you enjoy her! You'll love the adaptive bi-xenons (thumb)

Drove for the first time last night and they are very nice. I didn't realize how much I would like them, glad I went with the upgrade package.

I clayed mine the first week I got it. As long as the paint is cured it's never too early. I removed some contaminants, and I'm sure traveling in a boat all the way from Japan will get some stuff embedded in it. Here's another shot after clayed. Also note the factory orange peel (ugh)
a6equpu8.jpg

I was in a Honda showroom this week for work and every car there had orange peel at least that bad, and often worse.

Back