CX-5 Rear Bumper Guard

quant

:
2015 GT CX-5 w/ Tech Package
Picking up my Cx-5 GT on Tuesday and have been looking at some accessories I would like to order and have quickly after getting the car. First thing I did with my last car was get the weather tech floor mats and trunk mat, and did the same with the cx-5.

I also ordered the OEM trunk/cargo cover, mud guards, and door still scuff plates from amazon as they were significantly cheaper than getting them added on from the dealer. Having been looking around I have seen the rear bumper guard, and I am undecided about the part, and I am not sure I am going to get it.

Right now it is 92$ including shipping from amazon. Is it worth it? and How does it look? Is it still sleek looking in the back of the car? I got my cx-5 in meter grey.

Thanks for any help on the rear bumper guard.

Funny how we need a bumper guard to protect the bumper, lol. Cars haven't had bumpers in a long time. I was going to make my own and mount it on my hitch and still might, we'll see.

I have it on mine. Paid $85 at the dealer I think. It looks great in my opinion. I slid a lot of stuff into my 550i and it scratched the top of the bumper to piss. This should protect it nicely.
I need the cargo tray so I can put wet stuff back there and just hose it out.

They work. I have the OEM one. My kids drag their sports bags in out and it saves alot of wear and tear.
I have the weathertechs (front, back and trunk) Chinese door sills and mudguards, they all work great.

I took delivery of a different car then I ordered, and it already had the OEM bumper guard on it.

I have a new Chinese Bumper Guard still in the wrapper sitting on a shelf in my garage that is better looking than the OEM one and covers more area that I would sell for $50 picked up. I will have to unwrap it to post a few pics and list it in the classifieds.

It came already installed on mine but planned to purchase it if vehicle did not already have it. I think it looks good.

Of course opinions vary and I am one that even likes my roof rack but I know those are not everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited:
So far I have just went with the roof rack, going to get Yakima cargo box and bike holder this weekend, I don't feel that I will need the bumper guard if I am keeping the bikes and skis on top of the car. Wish it came in each paint color, then I would have gotten the bumper guard right away.

It seems to match my silver pretty good. Lot of accessories coming in this week so lots to install next weekend.

The bumper guard came with my CX 5. I think it looks good. It does protect the top of the rear bumper from scratches when taking or putting stuff into the cargo area. I also got a cargo liner which has an overhang portion that can drape over the rear bumper to protect it even further.

Here's a picture of the bumper guard.

Here's a picture of the cargo liner draped over the bumper with the hatch door opened.

Last edited:
Oh that bumper guard, I was thinking about the bumper guard that slides into a trailer hitch. The stainless steel OEM is on my CX-5, scratches and dents easily. Here it is when installed a few months ago:
large.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, that cargo liner is sweet, what company makes that? I just ordered the weather tech one though, so not sure I would replace it right away, but I like that idea for skiing and wanting to take my boots off, this would definitely help with protecting the back.

I am going full Weathertech on mine. IMO they make a high quality product.

I even picked up the step bumper listed above.

Lots to install in the next few weeks.

I am going full Weathertech on mine. IMO they make a high quality product.

I even picked up the step bumper listed above.

Lots to install in the next few weeks.

Did the same, just waiting for the shipping. Also did the mud flaps, and the door side sills

Did you already install the flaps and side sills?

Looks fairly simple. Looks like the sills come with a template.

I see some install instructions here.

http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-24809172479195/cx5frontsplashguards.pdf
http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-24809172479195/cx5rearsplashguards.pdf
http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-24809172479195/cx5scuffpates.pdf

Thanks for the instructions. The mud flaps that I ordered came with German instructions and was quite difficult to understand, these would have helped. But regardless I got them in pretty easy.

Paint Protection Film

I liked the idea of protecting my rear bumper (especially after remembering how my bumper looked on my last vehicle with a tailgate), but didn't really like how the bumper guard complimented the rest of the clean lines in the back of the CX-5. So in the end, when I was getting my windows tinted, I asked the shop to put some paint protection film where the bumper guard would usually go. 99% of the time I forget it's there, and yet I am very glad to have its protection/coverage. It cost $65 to have it applied.

Just thought I'd offer another alternative...

I asked the shop to put some paint protection film where the bumper guard would usually go. 99% of the time I forget it's there, and yet I am very glad to have its protection/coverage. It cost $65 to have it applied.

I was going to have that done with clear mask install but the stock Mazda plate was already back there.

I used to frequent a dirt road(my inlaws lived down it), so, mud flaps really helped keep down the damage from the constant gravel being thrown up the sides. But, fortunately I don't hit dirt roads hardly ever, so, not really necessary, but, I'm sure they'd still help.

Back