Bug removal...

joemon1984

:
cx5 2014 GT
Summer season is here and its the for bug and tar removal from our cx5. I would like to know what the forum members do to remove them without affecting paint. Is wd 40 safe...? I find it so difficult to remove bugs with soap and water and also with some bug removal stuff from walmart...

I've always used Turtle Wax Bug & Tar remover with decent results. It certainly won't damage paint (kerosene based-I believe), but there's no easy answer for this problem. Get as much off as you can first with careful washing.

Keep a good coat of wax/polimer on the car finish. I also use a bug/tar remover and it works very well IF you don't let the stuff bake on for days and days.

I used autoglym bug remover and it worked well... Ya the point is not to let the bug dry up on your car and to wash it soon.

I'm trying this "Rain-X" branded bug remover. It sprays out thick, like a gel. I just used it yesterday to get 3 BIG splats off with good results. Like others mentioned, removing ASAP is key.

"What's the last thing going through a bug's mind right before he hits your car?"
"His azz!"

Car soap and water works ok for me, I let it soak for a few minutes.

Just use wet a dryer sheet and it will remove the bugs, cheaper and faster than any other product out there!

I tried soap and water but was not effective... I live in the prairies and it rains bugs here in summer. Also, I have a pearl white cx5. Thats why I wanted to use some bug remover too

I am very surprised to not see someone say they use baking soda!

Sprinkle some Arm&Hammer on a wet cloth so that the powder becomes a paste. The bugs come off effortlessly.

It's a common house hold item much cheaper than bug cleaner. Do yourself a favor and use this instead of buying some bug cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am very surprised to not see someone say they use baking soda!

Sprinkle some Arm&Hammer on a wet cloth so that the powder becomes a paste. The bugs come off effortlessly.

It's a common house hold item much cheaper than bug cleaner. Do yourself a favor and use this instead of buying some bug cleaner.

Can one use baking soda that's already been opened in the fridge for a month? That would make it frugal, otherwise one would have to buy more baking soda, which would about neglect the savings.

Meguiar`s Bug and Tar remover does the work..........(drive)

Can one use baking soda that's already been opened in the fridge for a month? That would make it frugal, otherwise one would have to buy more baking soda, which would about neglect the savings.

I used a box that had been open for at least a year. Does the bug and tar removed effortlessly dissolve the big grime? If it does then I guess either product works the same.

Next time you get the chance, try it to see if it's worth it. I'm just here to state my experience.

I used a box that had been open for at least a year. Does the bug and tar removed effortlessly dissolve the big grime? If it does then I guess either product works the same.

Next time you get the chance, try it to see if it's worth it. I'm just here to state my experience.

I definitely will try it next time, I'm all about recycling and not wasting when I can. The "Rain-X" B&T remover I'm using softens and loosens the bug crap after letting it sit for about 3-5 minutes, not instantly and effortlessly like say, Alien blood (lol2). Thanks for the tip (thumb)

I would be worried that the baking soda paste would have a slight abrasiveness. That would be bad.

Maybe it does, try it and you'll see that you don't have to scrub the bugs, just lightly buff in a circular pattern and it's gone in a couple seconds.

I would be worried that the baking soda paste would have a slight abrasiveness. That would be bad.

I agree Larry! That is why we go to the Dollar Store and by a box of $1.00 Dryer sheets, wet one or two and remove all of the bugs off of our cars. It requires just a little rubbing and you do not have to wait, not go through the expense of paying for expensive bug cleaners! It does not harm the paint, either!

I agree Larry! That is why we go to the Dollar Store and by a box of $1.00 Dryer sheets, wet one or two and remove all of the bugs off of our cars. It requires just a little rubbing and you do not have to wait, not go through the expense of paying for expensive bug cleaners! It does not harm the paint, either!

Wet them with water and not the bug and tar remover stuff?

Back