2015 2.5L GT AWD Christmas Tree'd.... loss of Speedometer

swooshusn

:
2012 VW GLI/2015 CX-5 GT AWD Soul + Tech

This happened to my wife on her way to work last night around 11pm. 65ish MPH on the highway, all the dash lights came on and the speedometer dropped to zero. Nothing else abnormal, engine did not stall/buck. She pulled over, shut it off and restarted. Drove forward a bit on the shoulder, but the speedometer still wasn't registering. Mazda roadside picked up the car and it's at the dealership now being diagnosed. Stay tuned for details.

Wow. Hopefully it's just an instrumentation glitch and they can nail it down fairly easily.

Update: Sorry the delay. I've been out of town for training, and my wife is having to deal with this stuff back home. Anyway, the morning it was towed to the dealer, the tech read the codes and concurred that "something" happened, but all tests were coming up clear. The did some road tests, drove with her, and were unable to recreate what happened the night before. Fast forward to Sunday, as she was driving along the same route the brake indicator on the dash was flashing periodically but was fine on the way home. This morning, ALL dash lights, warnings, and the same Engine Inspection message popped up on her way home. This time, she lost the speedometer, engine temp, AND either lost power steering or it just became very heavy (not sure if the CX-5 has variable rate/speed-sensitive). She drove straight to the dealer a few miles away. After running diagnostics, they found a VERY loose ground connection (C04, passenger side front fender well) that is related to the ABS module and a few other systems. They inspected other grounds, cleaned, and tightened and all test pass... for now. We have a trip planned this weekend to take it to Charlotte, but I can't say I'm confident. Love the car, but it might be too soon to know if the problem won't return.

Seems reasonable, I have seen that on other cars - loose ground causes very alarming dash issues.

Back