Space, the needed frontier...

metalfab

:
2014 Ford Edge AWD LTD
...this is the story of the C/SUV. I had a 2012 5 and after a test load of all our camping gear in the new CX-5 I can safely say the 5 has a better interior layout. If the back of the CX-5 had a boxier end like the 5 then there might be more room. Also, the 5 has room between the seats in the middle row. Damn, should have got the less equipped model CX-9 instead of the bells and whistles of the CX-5. I miss my MPV, CUV and SUV marketing killed the import of it to North America. :-/

Rent a Uhaul trailer and pull all that stuff. $20/day for a uhaul sure beats doubling your fuel bill for the other 364 days a year.

A V6 is not that bad, and the new ones I'm sure are better than what the MPV had. I miss the versatility of the minivan, CUVs are basically mid-size sedans with a larger trunk.

CUVs are basically mid-size sedans with a larger trunk.
That's a good way to look at it. It's a good compromise to me. Faster than my old Civic while getting close mpg with carrying capacity of nearly a minivan but modern, sporty looks.

That's a good way to look at it. It's a good compromise to me. Faster than my old Civic while getting close mpg with carrying capacity of nearly a minivan but modern, sporty looks.

My 03 MPV had twice the cargo area as the CX-5, completely different animal. We'll have to make do with the space of the CX-5 for a couple of years. We plan on downsizing the house in a year or 2 and a mid-sized vehicle will be on the list.

My wife and I bought the CX-5 for space, prepping for having a family/kids. Needless to say, we haven't reached that milestone yet, but it's certainly not far off now.
We've had our nieces and nephews and cousins and such, situated in carseats in the back. The CX-5 didn't meet our space expectations, even with a single toddler, that much is certain.

We've discussed trading up for space. We shall see later, I guess, when we've got a kid of our own to cram back there.

It DOES haul the furry kids around nicely, though. (doh)

We have managed, with my VW Golf with four doors and my wife's CRV.
Now, with the CX5 it's even better, we don't need a bigger vehicle.
The biggest item that we had to carry it was the stroller and it fit in the Golf nicely.

Latest posts

Back