3M door edge protector

lwh1993

:
2005 Mazda Tribute AWD V6
I bought the 3M door edge protector film for my Cx-5 as my son likes to open the door hastily and dings ensue.

I installed it and the quality isn't great. It doesn't work well on corners and the top protective layer has already started to peel away after just two weeks.

Any other suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

The ones sold by Pep Boys stores actually work well. I had them on my last Porsche for 5 years, no problem.

Hmm, interesting. I have the 3M edge tape installed for 6-8 months and have experienced none of the issues you seem to have.

I have no topcoat or peeling issues, and stretching the tape when you apply makes it conform to corners fine (certainly the rear door edge 'corner' round the wheel well). I actually doubled the tape around that corner to give added protection, since it seemed it might be a 'danger point'.

Now, I would probably not recommend this for those with kids who fling the door open willy-nilly. It's not that thick to give enough protection. But it IS great for being invisible and withstanding accidental bangs from normally careful passengers.

986S sideview.JPG
The ones sold by Pep Boys stores actually work well. I had them on my last Porsche for 5 years, no problem.

Here's a pic of the clear ones on my seal gray metallic Porsche Boxster S, almost invisible which is exactly how I wanted it to be.

Back