2015 vs 2014 and other reliability questions

:
2011 Mazda 2 Sport Auto
Looking to buy a cx-5 touring FWD in the next couple weeks to take advantage of the 0.9% APR for 60 months deal..... been reading the TSBs and other issues owner have been facing with this car (electrical and shaking issues). Was wondering if Mazda fixed these issues in the 2015 models? Also, what are the differences between the 2 years aside from the side mirrors? Any other issues I should be aware of..? Thanks!

You can still get the 2015 with the older style mirrors. Mines a 2015 with the older mirrors. No issues with mines so far. 2,500 miles on mines.

I got a 2015 with old style mirrors. I have a bit of the mirror shake at highway speeds, but it doesn't bother me. Make sure if you test drive it, they let you on the highway for a bit so you can check these things. Another difference is the Touring and GT trims come standard with advanced keyless entry buttons on the front driver's side door, front passenger side door, and rear liftgate. This means the key never has to leave your pocket if you want to unlock/load/drive/park/lock. I believe those are the only two noticeable changes.

so, the shaking side mirror issue is with the redesigned ones on the 2015s? I thought it was the older ones that had issues...

The mirror shake affects all Mazda CX-5 model years, just not every car. The official TSB was made for the 2013 model, but was supposed to be addressed in the 2014 and 2015 models. Most people seem to be fine, you just won't find out until you reach highway speeds. It isn't the whole mirror housing that shakes, just the image you see in the mirror becomes slightly shaky/distorted because the mirror piece itself is shaking. It only affects the driver's side. The change to the mirrors was only a functional/aesthetic choice as it changes the way the turn signal looks on your mirrors. Again, just test drive it on the highway and if you don't notice anything wrong with the mirror or hood you should be fine.

Last edited:
I have what I would call "mirror vibration" at highway speeds. It's really not enough of an issue for me to worry about. I guess if there was a specific fix that reliably made the mirror dead steady at all speeds I would let them do that, but my impression is that even if I complain and get it serviced the best I could hope for is "slightly better." I'm assuming the issue is in the mirror mount itself, and unless/until they do a redesign of the entire part having it addressed is pointless.

My suspicion is that there was an earlier problem with "mirror shake", where the entire housing was shuddering at highway speeds, and to address this Mazda added bracing in the door to reduce flex at the point of attachment. Being aware of this, owners started staring at their mirrors and noticed a little vibration and assumed that this was the dreaded "mirror shake", but I can't imagine that the very slight issue I see would have necessitated changes to the door design.

Last edited:
Do what I did..Told them I would not buy without an extended test drive...had mine @ 80 on the highway. .no issues and I bought. .Told the salesman..any issues, we test drive the next one....2000 miles and no mechanical problems. .navigation did not work well but they updated software and works fine now

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

My mirror shakes slightly above 70 mph, but it isn't enough to cause an issue. It's still very easy to tell what sort of vehicle is in view.

I have a '15 GT with about 1,400 miles. No issues so far and I'm very happy with it.

My wife and I compared it to almost every CUV on the market and now when I drive by a Rav4, tiguan, a portage, or whatever I'm glad I got the CX-5.

On a side note I'm averaging 28mpg with a feather foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys just to add, I've been a Mazda owner since 2008. During that time I've owned two 2006 Mazda5, a 2007 Mazda CX-9, I currently own a 2012 Mazda5 and now my wife just bought a 2015 Mazda CX-5. All minus the new CX-5 has had shaky mirror syndrome. It must be a Mazda thing. The shaking was/is never that bad to annoy me but nonetheless it is there. If you really want to address the issue do a simple DIY fix that us old Mazda owners have done. Pop off the glass part of the mirror and lather up the contact points where the back of the glass mounts to the actuators to move it with heavy grease and snap it back on. This will minimize or completely fix your shaking.

Guys just to add, I've been a Mazda owner since 2008. During that time I've owned two 2006 Mazda5, a 2007 Mazda CX-9, I currently own a 2012 Mazda5 and now my wife just bought a 2015 Mazda CX-5. All minus the new CX-5 has had shaky mirror syndrome. It must be a Mazda thing. The shaking was/is never that bad to annoy me but nonetheless it is there. If you really want to address the issue do a simple DIY fix that us old Mazda owners have done. Pop off the glass part of the mirror and lather up the contact points where the back of the glass mounts to the actuators to move it with heavy grease and snap it back on. This will minimize or completely fix your shaking.

Oh wow, this is great to know. It's not enough to bother me at all, bit definitely nice to know it's fairly normal. Thanks for the tip Davicho!

While they were fixing my shaking mirror, they provided me with a Mazda 3 loaner, which I think was a 2013.
Its driver side mirror did not shake. I was looking hard at it at the time, so there is no mistake, at least with that specific car.

my wife has a 2011 mazda2 and never had these shaking issues

i'm confused now.... everyone seems to say that the shaky side mirrors are across all years including the 2015s, but Davicho is saying the issue was resolved in 2015...?

my wife has a 2011 mazda2 and never had these shaking issues

i'm confused now.... everyone seems to say that the shaky side mirrors are across all years including the 2015s, but Davicho is saying the issue was resolved in 2015...?

Again, I think "shaking" (at least what I've experienced) really overstates what's going on. My mirror has a slight vibration at highway speeds. It's slight enough that if you weren't looking for it you might not even notice. Some of the confusion might come from people who haven't been primed to stare at their mirror looking for a problem not knowing there is a "problem", even though their mirror might be exhibiting the same behavior.

Like I say, I suspect that early model years might have had something substantial enough to be called "shaking", that got addressed, and now folks are assuming that a little vibration is the same thing (while others might not consider it a problem at all). Hence, confusion

Wow. This really works? Can you give any more detailed steps?

I never noticed my mirror shaking till I found this forum. Now I have to set my CX-5 on fire and my Nisson truck shakes even worse. Rode my Harley today and I'm going to get rid of that also cause of mirror shake. i think I'll buy something from GM, they should be ok now. After all they recalled every GM car made in the last ten years.

Wow. This really works? Can you give any more detailed steps?

Well it's just as it sounds. You have to be really careful but pry off the glass part off the housing and there should be 2-3 pivot points where you can lather up heavy grease. If you don't want to do this you may make a case with either Mazda or the dealer since there is a TSB for Mazda CX-9 regarding same issue.
http://http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123820863-Vibrating-Driver-s-Side-View-Mirror&highlight=Grease+mirror

aside from the shaking and electrical issues, are there any other issues I should be aware of?

btw, looks like the going rate for a FWD touring with no option is $24K?

Back