Front Bumper Trim

Dan_Ag84

:
Mazda 2015 CX-5 Touring AWD Liquid Silver
Hi All,

I'm a first time Mazda owner coming over from the Volkswagen forums! Love the CX-5, but ran into an issue (literally) on the highway to work this morning in Chicago. Some piece of metal or plastic fell off of a truck in front of me and unfortunately wasn't able to swerve and avoid it. It seems it punched in the bottom part of my bumper. I'm going to see if I can bend it back out, but guessing it's not gonna look good. Correct me if I'm wrong but this bottom trim piece looks built into the bumper, I dont see it being able to be ordered separately. What a bummer.

Anyone have ideas or know the cheapest OEM source I can use? I've found www.jimellismazdaparts.com/ and it looks like $200 for the bumper alone and $200 for shipping.

Please let me know if this thread to be moved to a different section as well.

Cheers

Last edited:
looks like it'll pop back with your hand. might not be perfet but youc an probably make your on hole and stick a plastic rivet in if it's loose (from the inside)

looks like it'll pop back with your hand. might not be perfet but youc an probably make your on hole and stick a plastic rivet in if it's loose (from the inside)

Thanks for the tip. Gonna give it a shot, might even carefully use a heat gun to make it a bit more pliable.

+1 on the heat gun (or blow dryer) to warm it up before you try popping it back out. If there's clearance, I would probably try to heat it from the backside so you don't accidentally overheat the plastic and alter the finish.

Plastic polish should get rid of most of the scuff marks, followed by a plastic protectant like 303.

Last edited:
Good luck! Hopefully you can heat up the plastic and pop it back in place. Otherwise I would try going to your local mazda dealership and ask how much they would charge for the part you need.

+1 hair dryer. I think heating from the outside would be ok. Just use low heat on high speed and keep a good distance. Heat very slowly til warm/hot then push out. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum, too bad you got broken in the wrong way (lol2). Will your insurance cover it, or you looking at an alternative to keep premium down? Now, I can imagine what the damage would have been if it was your VeeDub...

Where in chicago can you drive to work on the highway and not be at a standstill? I dont understand how this could have happened?!? Impossible, i say! :) ok seriously that blows....

Thanks guys, so yeah I'm definitely trying to keep my insurance premiums down, so no insurance for me. I'll update how it goes, probably by Monday or Tuesday I'll have it done.

Well, it looks pretty darn good to me! Slowly massaging the plastic out help a LOT. I did have help from a buddy who has done this before, and he had some kind of heat lamp to "cure" the paint where it got slightly scuffed/scratched. Not too sure what that was for, but I can't believe it almost looks like nothing happened. There are some scuffs on the black plastic trim that still have to be touched up but as you can see, not too noticeable unless you're down there looking right at it:

Well, it looks pretty darn good to me! Slowly massaging the plastic out help a LOT. I did have help from a buddy who has done this before, and he had some kind of heat lamp to "cure" the paint where it got slightly scuffed/scratched. Not too sure what that was for, but I can't believe it almost looks like nothing happened. There are some scuffs on the black plastic trim that still have to be touched up but as you can see, not too noticeable unless you're down there looking right at it:

Great job! I had to scroll back to your original damage picture to see where the damage was...

' Memory ' plastic ?

Looks like almost nothing happend.

I'm also in awe. I hear a majority if not all the vehicle manufacturers use this type of plastic. Perhaps its mainly on bumpers and wheels wells...?

Back