Dealer Scheduled Maintenance

lcann25

:
2014 CX-5
Hi, I just called my dealer to make an oil change appointment and he threw me for a loop saying the vehicles one year service is due, where they basically pull the breaks apart, inspect and lube them and a couple other things along with the oil change for $230. Sounds steep to me, the car only has 16,000kms on it. It this something we should or need to be doing? I know the brakes are fine on the car and seems like a big waste of money to me. And I am also mechanically inclined so when it does come time to do the brakes, I am able to do this myself, so I'm not even worried about that. Just wanted to see what other people are doing with this. Thanks

Other people (with any smarts) will tell the dealer to take his profit-packed $230 10k mile service and stuff it up...etc., etc. etc. Look in your owner's manual and see the minimal servicing that Mazda recommends at this mileage and have the dealer do that and only that. Should run under $100 using premium Mazda super-moly oil. Good luck.

Agreed, refer to owners manual and follow it.

If you all check the manual before going off on rants, there *IS* a disk brake inspection scheduled at 12 months or 24000 km, whichever comes first. $230 does seem steep for it though.

But a brake inspection doesn't REQUIRE that you tear them down, it should only be a visual inspection of pad thickness, signs of leaks, even wear, and proper parking brake engagement. If there is a customer complaint, lubrication and cleaning would be warranted.

The 24k service does include the visual inspection, but also includes pulling the pins and checking the caliper slide rails, etc. (checking caliper function). This is a good idea, they can become sticky over time and could lead to uneven pad wear, or in my case, one pad gone down to the backing while the rest were at 50% still.

Here is what you get:

Replace engine oil; Replace oil filter
• Inspect function of all lights
• Inspect brake fluid, power steering fluid,
washer fluid and coolant level
• Inspect all tires – inflation and wear
• Lubricate all locks and hinges
• Rotate tires (priced separately)
- Inspect and clean brake discs and pads,
front and rear
• Lubricate caliper rails/pins
• Inspect A/C operation

Thanks everyone. I do believe everything is included that slippin3 listed including the tire rotation, so I guess it's too outrageously priced, just seems unnecessary on a brand new vehicle to start pulling brakes apart

Thanks everyone. I do believe everything is included that slippin3 listed including the tire rotation, so I guess it's too outrageously priced, just seems unnecessary on a brand new vehicle to start pulling brakes apart

That's not true. You take it for granted the car is perfect when you buy it, but when I painted my front calipers, I noticed the slide pins lacked grease, and there were a couple air bubble in the brake lines. This was with less than 1000 miles on the clock. Once I serviced it, the brakes are now firm with much less pressure to stop . Never take anything for granted.

Last edited:
I'm not even close to the first oil change, but at the dealer yesterday quizzing him on a few things. He told me the same thing, about all the extras they do at the 3rd oil change. My first response was, wow, you guys do that for free, that's pretty good. Then he laughed and told me the price. Same pitch as you got.
Sure it's a good thing to check over your new car, but it seems the dealers are trying to make extra money by saying you MUST do this. Sort of a scare tactit to sell more.
Personally, I like working on my own vehicles and am quite capable of doing all these maintenance items myself. Heck, the car we just sold with 190,000 kms, still had the original brakes/rotors and no need to change yet.

Looking at the "recommended maintenance" for the car, it does seem like they have an over obsession with lubricating stuff. I've never ever had a car where lubricating latches and hinges was on the docket. That being said, the owners manual has several things in it that it says to just let the dealer do that I am used to doing like simply changing headlight bulbs!
Anyone know of a place to get an FSM for the car so I can stop getting raped at every oil change?

So question on warranty. if something were to go bad, God forbid, can they (dealer) turn around and say, well Sir/Madame, you didnt allow us to do a full service @ your one year / 24k appointment so unfortunately we can not etc etc etc ?

This is assuming i bring my vehicle in and only get the oil change done...i can bring it somewhere else to get the rest of the stuff done.

No, your neglect has to be directly related to a maintenance item that is specifically required in the manual for them to question warranty coverage.

IMO: Dealer profit comes from used car sales and paid service jobs. If they relied on new car sales alone I don't imagine many would stay in business long.

Back