How to: Remove airbag warnings from sun visors

:
RX-8, CX-5
Haven't seen this mentioned here so I thought I would share.

The airbag warning stickers (more like printing) were a constant reminder that the government thinks I'm an idiot. So I removed them.

WARNING: Do this at your own risk, this isn't for the faint of heart, because you will almost certainly think you ruined your visor halfway though the process.
Also, this isn't a perfect, can't even tell they were there removal, but it was a significant improvement for me (see pics).

All you need is some mineral spirits (paint thinner) and paper towels.

You can still tell it was there, but it continues to flatten out, especially after baking in the Vegas heat for a while.
visorba_zps3c9f1774.jpg

Visor removal is one screw and a wire clip, so I skipped that step.

To start, place a paper towel over the warning and soak it in mineral spirits for a while (I did around an hour)
soak_zps324ae682.jpg

During removal, you can use your fingernail to scratch a little bit to get it going, then vigorously rub the soaked paper towel on the decal.
It should remove fairly easy, if not, try soaking it longer and as needed during removal.
Note:The vinyl will get kind of floppy at this point when it's saturated, try to support it when your removing the decal so you don't stretch it out.
remove_zpsa9bee5eb.jpg

When you remove it all, it may seem like the visor is ruined, but fear not, it will tighten back up after drying out and baking in the heat for a while.

beforedry_zps56768da0.jpg

I stuck it outside in the sun under a towel (so it wouldn't fade) for a couple of hours:
final_zps30086b83.jpg

I did my driver side a week ago and it has continued to get less noticeable to the point where I have to put a flashlight on it to tell there was something there.

Thats intense, I guess I don't hate them enough to do this lol.

I guess if I wanted to get rid of them, I would first try to get a sticker that matches the colour of the visor (or get one printed) and just stick it over... On the plus side, I could always remove the stickers if ever I wanted the reminder.
Thats the lazy way.

My second choice would be spray paint those puppies with a matching colour until its covered.
But this would mean more work... and I'm lazy ;-)

Haven't seen this mentioned here so I thought I would share.

The airbag warning stickers (more like printing) were a constant reminder that the government thinks I'm an idiot. So I removed them.

Thanks for the write up. I, too, do not like all the warning stickers and I plan on removing them also. However, I don't feel like they exist to make one look like an idiot, but only to cover Mazda's butt. And in this sue happy world, my company would be forced to do the same. Thank the bottom feeders that take advantage of the "system". But, as speedbegone stated,
Thats intense, I guess I don't hate them enough to do this lol.

I guess if I wanted to get rid of them, I would first try to get a sticker that matches the colour of the visor (or get one printed) and just stick it over... On the plus side, I could always remove the stickers if ever I wanted the reminder.
Thats the lazy way.

My second choice would be spray paint those puppies with a matching colour until its covered.
But this would mean more work... and I'm lazy ;-)

it seems pretty "intense" and possibly an unusual path to this accomplishment. However, if it works without looking like the stickers were never there and the internal materials are completely intact, then I say well done. I, soon will find my path to removing these stickers, and if they differ and are a little less "intense", I will post back.

Last edited:
However: you might sell your vehicle to an Idiot. I feel my time is more valuable than to mess with this kind of stuff. :)

However: you might sell your vehicle to an Idiot. I feel my time is more valuable than to mess with this kind of stuff. :)

Ed, if I sell it to an idiot, taking warning stickers off isn't going to help his disposition. And, this is a car forum, and I, am a car/motorcycle guy. This "stuff", modifying vehicles, I've been doing almost all my life. Some people jog, some write poems, some do hard drugs. I'm sure you do something that is therapeutic. For me, creating a unique vehicle that suits me is my therapy.

Last edited:
going to try using Goo Off Professional strength.

A bit less chance of messing your visor finish

I kinda like the warning decals. Gives the cabin an aeronautical feel - like the "Do not step" warning decals on military aircraft, LOL!

Actually, I barely knew they were there!

One concern might be the longer term durability of visor material that had been treated with mineral spirits (in terms of cracking and aging).

Tried it today with Goo Off, you can get more details just searching google for "Goo Off sticker visor"

Steps I took:
- remove visor
- pour Goo Off on paper towel, completely soaked the sticker
- stay for 5 min or about when the sticker is noticeable almost bubbling.
- take a sheet rock / box cutter and lightly lift up the edges
- should peel right off or in large sections
- if any edges left, lightly rubb off with paper towel and Goo Off

Took about 20-25mins for both sides. Yes, the visor may look stretched out like your picture where it appears ruined, but no fear it will slowly shrink. Within another 30 minutes it was almost back to original shape.

I will take some pics of final outcome shortly. GL

Tried it today with Goo Off, you can get more details just searching google for "Goo Off sticker visor"

Steps I took:
- remove visor
- pour Goo Off on paper towel, completely soaked the sticker
- stay for 5 min or about when the sticker is noticeable almost bubbling.
- take a sheet rock / box cutter and lightly lift up the edges
- should peel right off or in large sections
- if any edges left, lightly rubb off with paper towel and Goo Off

Took about 20-25mins for both sides. Yes, the visor may look stretched out like your picture where it appears ruined, but no fear it will slowly shrink. Within another 30 minutes it was almost back to original shape.

I will take some pics of final outcome shortly. GL

So, both methods require dousing the visor with fluid? I'm still not too fond of doing that.

Guys,
Would you be kind to give me THESE sunvisors Partnumbers? (with extraflaps)
At least driver's?

Back