CX-5 getting the Short Stick in the Skyactiv Lineup?

speedbegone

:
2014 mazda CX5 GT liquid silver
Seeing a new CX9 today with the nice led rdl's made me think that Mazda's updates on the 2015 MY CX5 is somewhat... well lame.
If I'm not mistaking, the only new things are : straight gear selector on automatic and new mirror design (not even on all 2015)

When comparing to a Mazda 3 GT (to name one) here are the options I feel are still missing on the CX5 GT:

- Led rdl's
- HUD
- updated infotainement system
- knob controller for infotainement system
- paddle shifters
- red stitching on steering and e-brake

I think These features could and should have been updated. (even If I would be pissed cause I would not have them).

Anyone else feeling the "lack of love" from Mazda on its first Skyactiv star?
And if Mazda made these features/options available to buy, witch one's would interest you?

Personally, all of them, but I'm a sucker for techno and bling.

It is generation timing, nothing more, nothing less.

The first Mazda 3 with Skyactiv was 'unloved', simply because of the generation timing. In the near future, when the CX-5 goes through a proper generation change, the Mazda 3, 6, CX-9 etc. etc. will all seem similarly unloved.

It is generation timing, nothing more, nothing less.

The first Mazda 3 with Skyactiv was 'unloved', simply because of the generation timing. In the near future, when the CX-5 goes through a proper generation change, the Mazda 3, 6, CX-9 etc. etc. will all seem similarly unloved.

I guess your right... but the previous skyactiv mazda 3 was pretty much alone with this technology at the time and was not considered a "true skyactive" because it was only the engine, now all models share a similar structure/look/engine/Kodo style... but sadly, not technology and options...

And the CX-5 platform pre-dates the new models by over a year. The platform will get minor upgrades over the years, but it won't be up to par until the putative all-new 2017-ish CX-5.

Seeing a new CX9 today with the nice led rdl's made me think that Mazda's updates on the 2015 MY CX5 is somewhat... well lame.
If I'm not mistaking, the only new things are : straight gear selector on automatic and new mirror design (not even on all 2015)

When comparing to a Mazda 3 GT (to name one) here are the options I feel are still missing on the CX5 GT:

- Led rdl's
- HUD
- updated infotainement system
- knob controller for infotainement system
- paddle shifters
- red stitching on steering and e-brake

I think These features could and should have been updated. (even If I would be pissed cause I would not have them).

And if Mazda made these features/options available to buy, witch one's would interest you?

Personally, all of them, but I'm a sucker for techno and bling.

Out of these, I would've loved the LED DRL's, paddle shifters and HUD. I wouldn't need the control knob.

I'd want the paddle shifters but wouldn't pay extra for them. Just a cool factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LED DRL
LED tail and brake lamps (I like them separated, instead of the lame double-filament tungsten approach)

The rest is of no matter to me (though I think the CX-5 navi is lame compared to that in our new MINI Cooper).

- JP

I'd want the paddle shifters but wouldn't pay extra for them. Just a cool factor.

If you use manual mode a lot (I like to often ), then the paddle shifter is a safety issue, as it keeps both hands on the steering wheel (drive2)

I don't use manual mode often but I would if it didn't hurt my MPG's. Do you average about the same or does it differ at all?

I don't use manual mode often but I would if it didn't hurt my MPG's. Do you average about the same or does it differ at all?

That's a good question. I do a lot of mix driving. In the city I use the manual to downshift into slow corners and power out, but then up shift quickly into high gears. On the highway I like to stay in 6th going up and down hills with cruise control so the trans doesn't keep shifting up and down (this should help save wear & tear, too), so I use manual there, too. My mix driving with 4 tanks so far has been over 31 mpg, believe it or not. I calculate mathematically, so it's pretty accurate. So, it's just a matter on how you use it. I believe judiciously you can use manual mode for spirited driving or fuel economy. But, your driving style may be different.

Those of us with the Touring/Grand Touring Technology Packages have the option to replace our P13W halogen DRLs w/LED since the bi-xenon HIDs don't use the DRL as the high beam. I replaced mine with 6K LEDs. Plenty of intensity plus the cooler color looks great.

That is true, but still retains the huge blotch of light that one would get with incandescent DRL housings. The MZ3, MZ6, amd Tech Pack CX-9's come with nicely integrated bar arranged LED's that follow the chrome line of the grill. They have the projector halo LED's as well.

Oh well. The lack of "LED lighting" is nothing to complain about. Only the infotainment is. I also noticed that the interior plastics and leather of the CX-5 is significantly cheaper than the MZ6 and even more so compared to the MZ3.

Another thing to keep in mind is how price competitive this compact SUV market is. Toyota started equipping their 6th gen Camry w/LED stop/tail but the latest gens have gone back to incandescents. Even the RAV-4 comes with incandescent stop/tail now. I can't believe LEDs are getting more expensive but curious why they did that. Same with Honda and their Accords of a few years back.

Then again one must consider how competitive the new Nissan Rogue is in terms of value. Very well equipped and appointed interior. LED goodes for the DRL standard with optional LED low/high beams. Perhaps Mazda can update the CX-5 with Mazda's first set of LED headlights for mid-life refresh? It is the oldest full SkyActiv platform after all.

Thats what I was thinking when I read there was a 2015 MY with different mirrors... but I guess is won't happen until mid life refresh (witch will probably be 2016 or something... if at all)

I'm kinda hoping aftermarket does something about this that can look OEM, I'm considering the fog light housing with the led strips. I've seen one with them and it looks ok. But I really would prefer the led strip to be in the headlight like it is for ALL the other skyactiv models...

Then again one must consider how competitive the new Nissan Rogue is in terms of value. Very well equipped and appointed interior. LED goodes for the DRL standard with optional LED low/high beams. Perhaps Mazda can update the CX-5 with Mazda's first set of LED headlights for mid-life refresh? It is the oldest full SkyActiv platform after all.

I test drove a Rogue before the the CX-5. It sucks. The CVT transmission is horrible and unreliable. And, at this time HID > LED headlights.

It drives worse than the CX-5 by all means, but I mentioned the interior and exterior features. HID > LED headlights would apply to the current turd Koito/NAL LED (double emitter) lowbeams on the Corolla, Prius, Leaf, and MKZ. The output is poor, beam spread is narrow, and major hot spotting. Though given a comparison between a decent HID projector VS LED units from recent Audi's, BMW's, Acura's, and even Nissan's Rogue and GTR units. There is no contest.

CX5 getting the short stick in the skyactiv lineup?

It drives worse than the CX-5 by all means, but I mentioned the interior and exterior features.
Then again one must consider how competitive the new Nissan Rogue is in terms of value.
I see what you are specifically saying now. I took it as you meant value as in buying the vehicle. I mean, you can't buy the great modern lighting in a Rogue without buying the whole vehicle. Yes, LED lighting is nice, but I can retrofit or customize lights. A great transmission or sporty feel, things I cannot easily retrofit or customize, is a better value to me. I guess that's one of the many reasons I picked the CX-5 over the Rogue. Another reason is of all the Asian cars that came in and out of the shops I worked in, there were always more Nissans than Toyota, Honda, or Mazda.

HID > LED headlights would apply to the current turd Koito/NAL LED (double emitter) lowbeams on the Corolla, Prius, Leaf, and MKZ. The output is poor, beam spread is narrow, and major hot spotting. Though given a comparison between a decent HID projector VS LED units from recent Audi's, BMW's, Acura's, and even Nissan's Rogue and GTR units. There is no contest.

"No contest" is a big statement, as I think the Mazda's adaptive bi-xenons are outstanding. Of course, one could modify the OEM lights to improve them even further if one chose to. I'd like to see what the other cars' lights you mention are like in live settings to make it a "no contest". unfortunately, I did not get the chance to test the Rogue at night.

Please enlighten me: What's the big deal about LED tail lights and directionals? It seems that a lot of cars went LED a few years ago, and have actually gone back to plain incandescent lights more recently.

To be completely honest, I PREFER the incandescent light sockets over the proprietary LED light fixtures. The cost of replacing those proprietary LED's was extremely annoying and usually was a major job. On the other hand, with a standard incandescent light socket, I can put whatever I want in there. The cheap $1 bulb meets safety requirements, and if I want brighter and/or longer lasting, there are PLENTY of LED replacements to choose from. The best part is: If something stops working, I can get a replacement bulb almost anywhere, for dirt cheap.

Another thing to keep in mind is how price competitive this compact SUV market is. Toyota started equipping their 6th gen Camry w/LED stop/tail but the latest gens have gone back to incandescents. Even the RAV-4 comes with incandescent stop/tail now. I can't believe LEDs are getting more expensive but curious why they did that. Same with Honda and their Accords of a few years back.

OEMs first jumped on LED tail lights because they were sold as a safety enhancement - the 50 ms difference between an incandescent bulb and an LED coming up to full light output equates to a shade over five feet at 70 mph, and five feet theoretically means the difference between rear-ending the car ahead or stopping just short of it. The thing is, they haven't made a measuable impact on crash frequency or severity, so it's coming back to a question of pitching your vehicle to the extreme minority of the population who cares about such things versus saving a buck or two per vehicle. Saving a buck or two a vehicle will almost always win in that situation.

Back