Very happy about gas mileage to the coast and back

mtvon2

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 GT w/Technology AWD
2015 GT AWD on the second tank. The trip is about 150 miles round trip but I averaged 35 mpg. I was able to get great gas mileage and drive on the sand too. The gas mileage can't touch my wife's Prius at 62 mpg. But the Prius can't play in the sand either. So far I am lovin the CX-5. Can it even get better gas mileage once broken in?

That's pretty impressive for the heaviest AWD GT with the 2.5.

I think we're going to need some pictures of your CX-5 on the beach.

35 mpg is very good for the 2.5 with AWD. The motor does seem to loosen up after a few thousand miles, so you could see even higher numbers, if you can keep up the efficient driving.
I'm guessing you were driving <65MPH with only a few stops on this trip?

I think we're going to need some pictures of your CX-5 on the beach.

35 mpg is very good for the 2.5 with AWD. The motor does seem to loosen up after a few thousand miles, so you could see even higher numbers, if you can keep up the efficient driving.
I'm guessing you were driving <65MPH with only a few stops on this trip?
Yes, I forgot to mention that I was going between 50-60 mph with no stops. So I was very conservative. I forgot to take pictures this time, so I guess I need to go back soon.

41.1 avg mpg was my best tank, which was the first tank after 20,000 miles. Granted it's a 2.0 not a 2.5, it is also the heaviest 2.0 with GT AWD + Tech. MPG certainly hasn't gone down :) . It does require one to be "conservative" like you said, but certainly not hard if given the ideal conditions.

Last edited:
41.1 avg mpg was my best tank, which was the first tank after 20,000 miles. Grant it's a 2.0 not a 2.5, it is also the heaviest 2.0 with GT AWD + Tech. MPG certainly hasn't gone down :) . It does require one to be "conservative" like you said, but certainly not hard if given the ideal conditions.
Wow that is great! I am totally satisfied with 35 mpg but it is good to hear that there is a break in that might result in higher gas mileage.

My last tank was 34.81 MPG calculated at the pump with an average speed of 51 mph. I did some long stretches of highway driving during that tank at 68 mph. My previous CX5 sport used to get 35+ mpg on almost every tank in those conditions. Some were as high as 37 mpg. I have noticed that between 50 and 60 MPH the CX5 gets tremendous MPG #'s.

Excellent - efficiency is everything! I do not hypermile; I rev it up and down the range and accelerate briskly and I still get ~31 mpg calculated by hand

Nice numbers... I consider 25mpg very good in my case for my commute to work, even with about an hour's worth of traffic everyday.
The rest of the time accelerating briskly and when the road opens up, driving up to 75 mph... Not bad at all for an AWD 3500lbs suv.

Back