Brake Controller?

twins34

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Hello everyone.

Has anyone installed an electric brake controller in their CX-5? If so, was it pretty simple or did you have to get into some fairly in depth hardwiring? I'm looking into towing a small boat with my 2014 Touring. I definitely will not exceed the 2,000lb limit, but I will certainly be over the 1,000lb trailer brake requirement.

Thanks for your input!

The only connection to the cars electrical system are Battery, Ground, and the brake light switch (The side of the switch that is hot when the brakes are on.) Given that I would need to run wires the length of the car anyway I might be tempted to get the brake signal from the back before it goes into the trailer lighting controller. The bad news is that the 12 volts, and ground are high current (20 amp), so there is no finding existing wires. You need to get 20 amps from the battery to the controller and then from the controller to the trailer.

Hello everyone.

Has anyone installed an electric brake controller in their CX-5? If so, was it pretty simple or did you have to get into some fairly in depth hardwiring? I'm looking into towing a small boat with my 2014 Touring. I definitely will not exceed the 2,000lb limit, but I will certainly be over the 1,000lb trailer brake requirement.

Thanks for your input!

http://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Firestone/F4178.html they slip in to your stock spring and inflate with a bike (or electric) pump. Less stress on your rear suspension/brakes chassis.

I personally, would never run wires under the car exposed to outside elements. Mazda wouldn't either.

+1 Total agreement
BTW There is at least one unused wire from the under the hood fuse box to the back of the vehicle.
It is described here.
http://ep.yimg.com/ty/cdn/yhst-24809...tchharness.pdf

BTW A trick we learned running sound and video system wires at church that probably applies here as well. Never run a wire. Always run a wire and a couple of spares.

Frank

Last edited:
Back