New member with '15 Grand Touring

Buddyb

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring
I've been visiting this forum since I became interested in the CX-5. I actually began looking at the Subaru outback but was disappointed when I saw one in person. Car reviews from multiple sites online always put the CX-5 in the top few best compact SUV's so I decided to check it out.

I ended up with a '15 (old style rear mirrors) CX-5 Grand Touring. It is white with the sand/grey interior. No packages, no roof rails, nothing else. I wanted to keep the price down as muh as I could.

Sadly I think I've read faster than people have been posting so I'm bummed I'm not seeing more activity on this forum. Even still it's the most active one I have come across.

-Buddy

You want forum activity? You should' bout an MX-5 and visited the Miata.net site! Welcome to the world of CX-5.

Welcome buddyb. Congrats on new GT. Reliability and forum slowness are somewhat related...

I understand. It's a great sporty SUV but doesn't have the huge following some other vehicles have. At least I can share my problems and info on this site and use everyone's collective opinion.

Howdy BuddyB,

Congratulations !!! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and impressions.

Hopefully I'll be getting one closer to the end of the year. I really
excited about it, it will be my Retirement Gift to Myself !!!

Take Care,

CK

Hi! congrats on the CX-5! I too just got a 2015 grand touring (old style mirrors) no packages or roof rails. Mine is the blue reflex. I also really liked the white and deep crystal blue. our other suv is white so i figured i'd mix it up a little.....lol

Hi! congrats on the CX-5! I too just got a 2015 grand touring (old style mirrors) no packages or roof rails. Mine is the blue reflex. I also really liked the white and deep crystal blue. our other suv is white so i figured i'd mix it up a little.....lol

Welcome jvbw0527 and Buddyb! Two more members that can help make this forum more lively!

Yes we get it's not a Porsche with forum members living in fear of IMS failure (and trying to justify extra oil changes in hope of prevention).

Installed my Thule roof rack today.

Instead of cutting the stock rail coverings I drilled large holes where the studs need to go through. Not sure why this isn't the preferred method.

Is there a way to post a picture while viewing this site from my phone? I'll post a picture if I can tomorrow.

Ok, I've been reading for a while but this thread finally convinced me to join. I too am the new owner of a '15 GT (no packages, no roof rails, old style mirrors) in soul red. It did come with some nice freebies: cargo cover, all weather mats, bumper guard, and wheel locks, and then I added a cargo tray. I traded in my '04 Mazda3 to get it.
I'm loving it so far.
Kevin

Last edited:
Is there a way to post a picture while viewing this site from my phone? I'll post a picture if I can tomorrow.

Which app/web browser are you viewing it from your phone and what make/model phone? I am using Tapatalk with an Apple phone, on this app there is a button on the bottom left that looks like a "camera" and one that looks like a "painting of a mountain" that allows pics to a post.

Ok, I've been reading for a while but this thread finally convinced me to join. I too am the new owner of a '15 GT (no packages, no roof rails, old style mirrors) in soul red. It did come with some nice freebies: cargo cover, all weather mats, bumper guard, and wheel locks, and then I added a cargo tray. I traded in my '04 Mazda3 to get it.
I'm loving it so far.
Kevin

Welcome to the club and way to go on the freebies!

Last edited:
I'm loving it so far.
Kevin

Welcome

Just into my 3rd week of owning my CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech package & remote start + new style mirrors. Simply having too much fun with the vehicle to be complaining here why I was an idiot to buy one. I just retrofitted the DRLs, fogs, rear backup lights, license plate lights and all interior lights w/LEDs. I went 6K on everything except the fogs since they're on with the headlights and those HID headlights are 4300K. The 5K fogs were a good match. The 6K DRLs gives it a very distinctive look.

My only complaints about the vehicle so far:
  • No remote (inside) release for the liftgate.
  • Only the driver window button on the door is illuminated (my wife's 22 year old Camry LE has all the buttons lit).
  • Glove box has no light.
  • Not real impressed with the Bose radio/speaker system. Wife's 3 year old Camry Hybrid has a 440 watt JBL system which sounds much larger.
  • No compass on the auto-dimming/homelink mirror?
  • I'm a Garmin GPS user so the Tom-Tom system on the Mazda seems a little funky in comparison.

Other than that, it's a joy to drive so far.

Just into my 3rd week of owning my CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech package & remote start + new style mirrors. Simply having too much fun with the vehicle to be complaining here why I was an idiot to buy one. I just retrofitted the DRLs, fogs, rear backup lights, license plate lights and all interior lights w/LEDs. I went 6K on everything except the fogs since they're on with the headlights and those HID headlights are 4300K. The 5K fogs were a good match. The 6K DRLs gives it a very distinctive look.

My only complaints about the vehicle so far:
  • No remote (inside) release for the liftgate.
  • Only the driver window button on the door is illuminated (my wife's 22 year old Camry LE has all the buttons lit).
  • Glove box has no light.
  • Not real impressed with the Bose radio/speaker system. Wife's 3 year old Camry Hybrid has a 440 watt JBL system which sounds much larger.
  • No compass on the auto-dimming/homelink mirror?
  • I'm a Garmin GPS user so the Tom-Tom system on the Mazda seems a little funky in comparison.

Other than that, it's a joy to drive so far.
I agree with you're complaint list. For me-
-I have crossed the Bose off my list with sub/amp mod. It was the missing link in the system IMO. I should be close to 750 watt system now.
-the light in the glove box can be added. I will make a how to when I accomplish this if one isn't out already.
-the compass is an option, and the mirror assembly can be bought on eBay for a little over $100. I don't think installation is difficult.
- I too, am a prior Garmin user, but I'm quickly getting used to Tom Tom, so kudos to them for making the system somewhat intuitive for a different brand user.

Last edited:
I got my 2015 CX-5 Sport FWD, Meteor Grey w/ black interior, a little over 2 weeks ago. I LOVE this vehicle so far. I an already nearing 1000 miles but that's due to a trip to the Adirondacks last week...a trip that proved there are no lies on the estimated MPG's....I'm at 32.6mpg since picking up the car with 12 miles on it. We ended up with the CX-5 after having our Mazda 3, 2.3sp touring since 2006 (a 2005 that was bought off the showroom floor as a leftover with nearly every option on it). That little 3 still looks fresh and up to date and has been incredibly reliable, thus leaving us no other considerations when it was time to trade in our old Saturn Vue. So, we are now a Mazda family (except for my old sunny-day Corvette). Hello Mazda forum!

I got my 2015 CX-5 Sport FWD, Meteor Grey w/ black interior, a little over 2 weeks ago. I LOVE this vehicle so far. I an already nearing 1000 miles but that's due to a trip to the Adirondacks last week...a trip that proved there are no lies on the estimated MPG's....I'm at 32.6mpg since picking up the car with 12 miles on it. We ended up with the CX-5 after having our Mazda 3, 2.3sp touring since 2006 (a 2005 that was bought off the showroom floor as a leftover with nearly every option on it). That little 3 still looks fresh and up to date and has been incredibly reliable, thus leaving us no other considerations when it was time to trade in our old Saturn Vue. So, we are now a Mazda family (except for my old sunny-day Corvette). Hello Mazda forum!

Hello ZoomZoom! What year is your old sunny-day corvette? Ever on the Corvette Forum? I used to have a 2001 C5 silver/red interior 6 speed MT. I really miss Yvette somedays.

Is it just me or did I just buy a 2015 vehicle that doesn't bother to "ding" at me if I leave my lights on and get out of the car? A small complaint, yes.....but a strange non-feature.

Hi Skorpio. My Corvette is a 1984, I've had it since '86. Spent quite a bit of time on the Corvetteforum a few years ago but I don't go there much now since I only drive the car about 500 miles per summer. I've spent the last few years thinking about upgrading to a C5 but never pulled the trigger. Now, with my new Mazda investment, that decision has been made for me and the '84 stays! Thanks for the welcome!

Back