Free touch-up paint?

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
My past Mazda's were purchased new and Mazda sent me a small bottle of touch-up paint and a subscription to the Mazda magazine. Is Mazda still doing that?

You're going to need it, as I learnt very quickly. Mazda's paint durability sucks :(
I understand you're not happy right now because your CX-5 got a door chip. However all paint jobs are pretty much the same these days and it's a common complaint on just about any forum you go on. If anything, blame it on the EPA for forcing manufacturers to alter their paint processes and compromise quality. I have no issues with Mazda paint jobs (remember, it is a mass-produced car!) and I've owned several of them. Unfortunately, you picked a color (Soul Red) that requires extra care in touching up and/or repairing and it was somewhat predictable that casual touch-ups would be problem prone.

I understand you're not happy right now because your CX-5 got a door chip. However all paint jobs are pretty much the same these days and it's a common complaint on just about any forum you go on. If anything, blame it on the EPA for forcing manufacturers to alter their paint processes and compromise quality. I have no issues with Mazda paint jobs (remember, it is a mass-produced car!) and I've owned several of them. Unfortunately, you picked a color (Soul Red) that requires extra care in touching up and/or repairing and it was somewhat predictable that casual touch-ups would be problem prone.

I absolutely love the soul red color. At the time of my purchase the dealer had one in stock and was ready to wave the extra paint charge but was honest enough to warn me of the difficulties in maintaining and repairing the color. Knowing the harsh conditions our cars go through in Canada I refused the offer and got the beautiful sky blue. I've done a few touch ups and they turned out OK (no, did not get the paint for free, only the subscription).

My previous car was a Protege 5 that had pealing paint and was rusted through after three years. In comparison the paint on the CX-5 looks pretty good... Kept the Protege 5 for 11 years anyway BTW!

I absolutely love the soul red color. At the time of my purchase the dealer had one in stock and was ready to wave the extra paint charge but was honest enough to warn me of the difficulties in maintaining and repairing the color. Knowing the harsh conditions our cars go through in Canada I refused the offer and got the beautiful sky blue. I've done a few touch ups and they turned out OK (no, did not get the paint for free, only the subscription).

My previous car was a Protege 5 that had pealing paint and was rusted through after three years. In comparison the paint on the CX-5 looks pretty good... Kept the Protege 5 for 11 years anyway BTW!
In Canada they still offer Sky Blue Mica, but they've dropped it here in the states. My 2013 is that color and, although it's not the easiest color to touch up, I can't imagine having opted for one of the "non-colors" that are so popular here. As for Soul Red, as gorgeous as it is, I think I might have chosen something else had it been available as it would be even more difficult to repair with that third pearlescent layer.

In Canada they still offer Sky Blue Mica, but they've dropped it here in the states. My 2013 is that color and, although it's not the easiest color to touch up, I can't imagine having opted for one of the "non-colors" that are so popular here. As for Soul Red, as gorgeous as it is, I think I might have chosen something else had it been available as it would be even more difficult to repair with that third pearlescent layer.

Sky Blue Mica has been retired in Canada as well for 2014.5. mazda.ca was actually updated a few weeks before mazdausa.com to reflect this change.

Sky Blue Mica has been retired in Canada as well for 2014.5. mazda.ca was actually updated a few weeks before mazdausa.com to reflect this change.
And they've probably substituted Reflex Blue, further "dumbing down" the color palette.

Would you mind posting some photos of the area you touched up? I'm trying to figure out the best method to touch up all the rock chips on my hood.

And they've probably substituted Reflex Blue, further "dumbing down" the color palette.

Precisely.

Also, no Deep Crystal Blue for us Canucks. We didn't get the previous Stormy Blue color either. Just a bunch of gray shades (including white, black and the blueish gray that is Reflex blue) and Soul Red.

Back