Minor disappointment

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
I went to lay down the back seats flat and found there is not enough room UNLESS you remove the head rests. My CX7 did not require this. Kind of a shame that they go to the effort to put the easy pulls to lower the seats but, then you need to remove the head rests to get them to go flat.

I had the same problem today. Went to Home Depot to pick up a few large items. Tried to lower the seats and dang it, the headrest hits the front seat on both sides. I also found I want to buy the soft cargo cover to protect the seat backs.

==
Michael

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I went to lay down the back seats flat and found there is not enough room UNLESS you remove the head rests. My CX7 did not require this. Kind of a shame that they go to the effort to put the easy pulls to lower the seats but, then you need to remove the head rests to get them to go flat.

Or move the front seats forward a bit. With headrests on, they won't swing all the way down when the front seats are moved all the way back.

Yeah, either that or you have to have the seats waaay forward in order to accommodate the headrest. Sort of defeats the purpose of an "easy-fold" latch if you still have to open the passenger-side door to mess with the seats after all that. Bit of a minor nuisance, but coming from a '94 Toyota Previa, I can overlook such things, lol.

The interior of my CX7 was better laid out and more comfortable. The extra inch here and there, the extra cubby space, and the ability to lay the back seats down flat without messing around was a real plus IMO. Ed

I'm a pretty big guy, with the drivers seat set pretty far back, and I've found that I can flip the rear seats by temporarily moving the front seats forward, then back to where I want them. Since there's more room down lower on the front seat back, once the rear seats (headrests and all) are down you can move the front seats a fair piece back without running out of room.

Realize it's not quite as convenient as seats that can clear in all positions, but I tend to use the full cargo space for extended periods, so it's actually pretty convenient for me (since if I have rear seat passengers I can just do a quick forward on the front seats and flip the rear seats back up). Better than my old Jetta wagon, at any rate, which required removal of the head rests no matter where the front seats were.

if it bothers you that much change the rear headrests to the jap oem.

I never have my seat back far enough for that to be an issue. The passenger seat usually is too far back but mine no. I'm 6'1 and I sit relatively up so im not leaning forwards or all slouched back like a thug or a fatty

This problem is only here in the US, with those tall headrest, in other countries they have a different headrest.

Or just remove them entirely and benefit from a MUCH BETTER rear view in the mirror as well.

+1, every car will have "minor disappointments", but for me I wouldn't consider this one. I removed the headrests and stowed them in hatch. It's easier to remove them then to adjust the seats and forth. And I have great rearward vision too. The lack of a memory seat option, now that's a minor disappointment.

Last edited:
The interior of my CX7 was better laid out and more comfortable. The extra inch here and there, the extra cubby space, and the ability to lay the back seats down flat without messing around was a real plus IMO. Ed
Erhayes, I bet that CX7 never got the kind of fuel mileage that the CX5 can. For me I was for a moment kind of bothered about this too but I can count the times that I actually had to fold them both down with my 10 fingers. I just remove the head rests now before I fold them.

This problem is only here in the US, with those tall headrest, in other countries they have a different headrest.

And have no problems with folding the seats with the head rests on, although I find it easier to fold using the button on the top of the seat, as the seat belt has to be removed from the seat retainer.

Being a compact SUV is for sure going to have some little space or interior fitment issues.
But this headrest thing, could and should have been forseen by mazda (simply by using different types of headrest like come euro models) or having back seats that can be pushed back further. Its not due to the size of the CX5, because this problem is not present in a smaller VW Tiguan (to name one).

And its specially annoying because of the great trunk release latch system... The system works great, but the headrest issue kinda ruins it.

I'm only 5'10'' so my seat is not so far back, but the rear headrests still hit the back of my seat when folding them.

Its not a big deal since I rarely fold them down, but I can see this being frustrating for someone who does regularly.
Removing the back headrest is an idea... not a solution... at least it shouldn't need to be.

Being a compact SUV is for sure going to have some little space or interior fitment issues.
But this headrest thing, could and should have been forseen by mazda (simply by using different types of headrest like come euro models) or having back seats that can be pushed back further. Its not due to the size of the CX5, because this problem is not present in a smaller VW Tiguan (to name one).

And its specially annoying because of the great trunk release latch system... The system works great, but the headrest issue kinda ruins it.

I'm only 5'10'' so my seat is not so far back, but the rear headrests still hit the back of my seat when folding them.

Its not a big deal since I rarely fold them down, but I can see this being frustrating for someone who does regularly.
Removing the back headrest is an idea... not a solution... at least it shouldn't need to be.
Well it is a solution, though I admit it's not an ideal one. One of the few things I really liked about the CRV when I was shopping a year and a half ago was the flip-style rear headrests they use. Mazda could have easily incorporated something like this into the CX-5.

Well it is a solution, though I admit it's not an ideal one. One of the few things I really liked about the CRV when I was shopping a year and a half ago was the flip-style rear headrests they use. Mazda could have easily incorporated something like this into the CX-5.

And its a shame they didn't do something to avoid this issue really, because it makes Mazda look like they just put things together and didn't do tests to see if there where potential nuisances (not a big deal) but still something that looks like an oversight.

And its a shame they didn't do something to avoid this issue really, because it makes Mazda look like they just put things together and didn't do tests to see if there where potential nuisances (not a big deal) but still something that looks like an oversight.
Well said. It's like the cake wasn't completely baked before serving!

Well my wife is short so I only had to remove the left side and since we hardly ever have passengers I leave them both on the floor for a better rear view until I need them :) My CX-5 rides better, is quieter and gets 10 mpg better than my CX-7 but I sure miss that turbo!

Back