Xenon headlights with automatic on

mtvon2

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 GT w/Technology AWD
Every time when I am backing out of the garage with the Headlights on automatic, I notice the Xenon headlights will come on then quickly turn off once I am backing out of the garage during daylight. This event could occur a few times a day. Over the weeks, months and years will this constant on and off take its toll on the expensive Xenon lights? I talked to Mazda Customer Experience about this issue and the rep did not seem to know for sure. Does anyone know?

You can change the lighting setting on the setup screen. There are about 5 different settings so just change it there to a sensitivity you like.

Ideally, it is best to allow the OEM HID ballasts to warm up for at least 30 seconds.

Ideally, it is best to allow the OEM HID ballasts to warm up for at least 30 seconds.

That's right. Even so, the bulb life can be further extended by reducing the number of times they are turned on/off to begin with.

But the bulb life is quite long regardless so it's not something I would lose sleep over.

don't sweat it, my mazdaspeed had the oem Hid's and after 5 years of garage in/out they still worked fine.

Still, I feel that there should be 2 different control settings (the light sensitivity already there + being able to set a specific time delay for them to open/close)

For me, the settings work fine 90% of the time, except this tunnel I go thru everyday for work, Its over a mile long, and my lights come on 20 seconds into the tunnel no matter what light setting I put it in.

I told my dealer about it, and of course when they test it in their environment, it works normally, taking 4 seconds or so to turn on.

I have been following cars with auto lights like audi's, bmw's and such in the tunnel to find that their lights come on immediately after the lighting change going in this tunnel (basically taking 1-2 seconds max).
but the Other day, following a Lexus SUV, its lights turned on at the exact same spot mine did in the tunnel (witch is just before or near the center of the tunnel) must be a japanese thing then...

This had me think back to my mazdaspeed and how it was a lot quicker (5-7 seconds) to react in the same tunnel. It had no settings to play with, but I never felt I would have needed to. And for what it's worth, the actual settings on the CX5 don't seem to do much at all. but its the kind of thing thats tough to test unless equipped with dimmers in a controled environement.

Thanks guys for your responses. I have played around with the different headlight settings and I agree that it really does not make much difference. I guess I will keep them on auto for now. After all we do have the 3yr. 36k bumper to bumper warranty and if anything becomes an issue with the headlights, I assume that Mazda will replace them.

Does your garage have a door with a remote? If so buy a spot light and socket, mount it and position it to shine on your windshield light sensor and connect it's power to the lamp socket on the door opener.

Open door, Light comes on.
Start engine. Car thinks it is daylight.
Back out and close the door.

Frank

Does your garage have a door with a remote? If so buy a spot light and socket, mount it and position it to shine on your windshield light sensor and connect it's power to the lamp socket on the door opener.

Frank

With the added bonus of scaring your spouse when they take the car out for the first time! Alien abduction! :)

Frank
You know I do have a remote garage door opener. I have taken out the light bulb because the filament would not last long. The vibration from the opener would always shorten the life of the bulb. You gave a good suggestion. Thanks. Frank

That's actually a great Idea... I have had issues with the light bulbs wearing out fast ... I will try this out for sure.

Just to mention that today I followed a 2008 mazdaspeed in that tunnel, and the lights turned on even faster than i remembered mine... basically as soon as the car went into the "shadows"... My CX5 as usual... took its bloody time ~20 seconds... plus also longer to turn off at the exit of the tunnel.

What's up Mazda... messing with a system that worked fine 5 years ago!

I actually prefer the delay. My old Infiniti would turn on with less delay and it would be frustrating under over passes.

I actually prefer the delay. My old Infiniti would turn on with less delay and it would be frustrating under over passes.

I get that and this and totally agree on that point... But Ideally, if the system was smart like it pretends to be, that's when the lightness of the settings would come into play.
The delay could then be short, but since an overpass is not as dark as a tunnel or night, we could set it to medium and it would not come on in this situation.

This is where I feel Mazda's system is lacking... the problem is that its sensitivity adjustements don't seem to change much... but if they did and they added to this a delay setting... it would basically be up to the driver to setup as they want and adjust depending on their habits.

Latest posts

Back