Pulled the Trigger Yesterday!

Pipemajor

Hoot Mon!
:
Minnesota
:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD
Put a deposit on a 2015 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD 2.5 with the Technology Package. Dealer has one in his pipeline about 2 weeks out but this one (Blue Reflex Mica paint) has the remote start which I don't care to get. There is another on the lot at another local dealer without the RS so he said he'd try to negotiate a swap Monday - meaning I could get the vehicle perhaps this week.

Couldn't find any with the port-installed trailer hitch. Not that I have serious towing needs but there's always that one time you wished you had one. I drove one of his demos last Thursday. Very impressed with the one exception being the large blind spot caused by the box used to house the rain sensor and Smart City Brake Support electronics.

Now for my history - I don't buy a lot of cars. I'm getting up there in age (60ish) and this will be only the 5th car purchase I've made. My previous vehicle was a '91 Mazda B-2600i Cab Plus SE5 pickup I bought new. My son had used it the past 3 years for college and 17 MN winters had finally taken their toll on the sheet metal so it was donated to Disabled American Veterans for charity. It had been a reliable and useful ride for many years. I paid cash for it so haven't had car payments in nearly a quarter century. When I was shopping for small pickups, I drove the Ford Ranger, Toyota SR5 and the the Mazda. Naturally, the Mazda had a MUCH more sporty feel to it.

I'm a greenie at heart. Put my wife in a 2010 Camry Hybrid and I was seriously considering the Nissan LEAF all-electric vehicle for my in-town use. We live in the burbs to Minnesota's main metropolitan area. Found out I couldn't install an in-home charging station without a full upgrade of my electrical panel and my garage is opposite the panel location so I was looking at $4-5k just to put in the EVSE. Four years ago I had to add 2 60A circuits for the geothermal system I put in. Gave up on the LEAF.

We just experienced one of the worst winters in MN history. Have snow tires on the wife's hybrid and it does a commendable job but we are trapped at home until our small city plows our street which sometimes doesn't happen until later in the mornings after a major snowfall. Once we can get out to the arterial road (about 4 blocks away) we're home free but the hybrid's low ground clearance can't handle anything more than 4".

I also fly model airplanes as one of my many hobbies. Control line and some radio control. Most are fairly small but I have one RC bird with a 6' wingspan. The wing comes off but it won't fit in the hybrid because the traction battery negates the passthru opening when the back seats are folded down. With the loss of the pickup, I had no means to haul my toys up to our flying field.

To wrap up, I'll either have to wait another few days or few weeks for my new wheels to arrive. Anxious to experience HIDs behind the wheel and already am shopping to replace the interior and a few exterior bulbs with LEDs.

Waiting, waiting, waiting... (after 24 years can you blame me)????

As a fellow Minnesotan with GT, be prepared to put 17" snows on come next winter. The stock 19"ers are great for the summer but marginal for winter. When I put the 17" Blizzaks on this past winter (after trying out the 19's in the early snows) it was a night and day difference. I bought a set of 17" OEM CX-5 wheels on Ebay for the Blizzaks. Good luck and have fun.

Congrats on your CX-5! I like the Reflex Blue, it's a pretty unique color. I think you'll love the adaptive bi-xenons, they are worth the tech's price alone IMO. I work at night so I use them all the time and have no fears driving in the dark with these lights. I found I did have to raise and level up the headlights manually slightly, but once I did, they are perfect! And not a single high beam (and people around here let others know). The dual zone HVAC and seat warmers are great also. The Bose audio system, now that's another story...

Last edited:
Agreed. I ordered a set of 16" Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 winter tires mounted on steel rims for the wife's hybrid couple of years ago. Remounted the alloys w/worn MS tires just after Easter then we got another 7" of snow the next weekend and literally couldn't negotiate starting or stopping. The Camry Hybrid has one of the more sophisticated traction control packages around - they use the Vehicle Dynamic Integrated Management (VDIM) from the Lexus.

Low profile rubber on larger wheels handle better but give poorer traction. If I take delivery of the CX-5 by late May, at least I'll have 2 whole months before worrying about winter driving again. (wink)

BTW, I'm on the north end of town - Arden Hills. Dealer is Polar Chev/Mazda in White Bear Lake. Sales guy was a pleasure to work with. Got the Consumer Reports buying and Mazda owner loyalty discounts.

Last edited:
I bought my daughter's 2010 Mazda3 hatchback at Polar. Great experience there, like you said. Got my CX-5 at Morries and I'm happy there too.

Back