New mirrors for 2015?

swooshusn

:
2012 VW GLI/2015 CX-5 GT AWD Soul + Tech
Haven't seen this discussed but there were 3 brand new (still wrapped) CX5s delivered at my dealer that have different mirrors than the other 2015s and left over 14s. The turn signal LEDs are now integrated in the front instead of on the side, more like my Jetta.

Last edited:
I like the look of new mirrors, versus those on my 2013.

I, too, like it. My 2015 (manufactured 01/14) has old style mirrors (or is it current?). These newer style's signals appears to be able to be seen from the front view, a feature I wish mine had. Looks like I can retrofit these on if I chose to, however.

Looks like Sport models? No Advanced Keyless.

The red was a GT AWD, silver was a sport. The 3rd (blue) did not have them, but was an older VIN (earlier 2015).

I really don't see the difference.

Difference is mainly the turn signal light built into mirror is a bit more stylish and also visible from the front (like Mercedes mirror signal lights for example).

"old" style for reference...

2013-mazda-cx-5-side-view-mirror-photo-421117-s-1280x782.jpg

2013-mazda-cx-5-side-view-mirror-photo-429518-s-1280x782.jpg

6 one way, half dozen the other. Interesting but ultimately not worth a second thought I'm my opinion. Good post though.

"old" style for reference...

2013-mazda-cx-5-side-view-mirror-photo-421117-s-1280x782.jpg

2013-mazda-cx-5-side-view-mirror-photo-429518-s-1280x782.jpg
Now I see the difference. I think I prefer the older design because the driver can see the blinker. The new design looks more stylish I suppose. Form does follow function.

My CX-5 GT AWD is still in the pipeline with a scheduled delivery in 1-2 weeks. It has the remote start which I didn't want but the dealer will try to negotiate a dealer swap with one already on the ground but sans the remote start.

I'm not too worried which style mirror I'll get. Newer style looks a bit more futuristic.

Does the new style light wrap around the corner so it can be seen from the rear of the car?

Now I see the difference. I think I prefer the older design because the driver can see the blinker. The new design looks more stylish I suppose. Form does follow function.

No, the driver cannot see the blinker on both designs (and that's by design).

Does the new style light wrap around the corner so it can be seen from the rear of the car?

Yes, like most recent designs (and the old mirror design). It can be seen by cars lurking in rear blind spot locations (left rear and right rear).

I bet the new design is an attempt to fix the mirror vibration. One of the Europe TSB's for the vibration called for a new mirror cap and lower black trim on the front side which changed the shape of the mirror, I assume to make it more aerodynamic.

If I had to guess, I also suspect the redesign included changes to insure no vibration.

The improved sleeker styling, added blinker frontal visibility and possibly improved aerodynamics are nice bonuses.

To be honest, I didn't look THAT closely at them. Mostly just noticed they were different. We've decided to get the red one (GT AWD w/ Tech Package) and we're picking it up on Saturday. I'll have more photos and a better description of how they work.

Back