New owner of 2015 CX-5 Sport Manual

SteelReign

:
'15 CX-5 Sport 6spd MT
Just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the great information on this forum prior to making my purchase! Mine's a 2015 Sport with manual transmission in Liquid Silver metallic.

One thing I'd like to add or clarify is that the base radio (non-bluetooth/non-touchscreen) found on the Sport (base) models have no problems with USB playback after turning the vehicle on and then off! This was kind of make-or-break for me.

If you're considering the CX-5 in manual transmission, you'll be getting the base radio, which works like charm. Started at 9 miles and now I'm at 660 miles. Done with the break-in period and it feels slightly peppier. Initially had a real hard time going past 80 mph in 6th gear!

;)

Been there done that. USB works great on Sport as it has no necessary crap touch version has.

Sport MT was nice, but 2 hours in traffic every day made me to get AT 2.5L.

Enjoy.

I read somewhere on this forum that one or two members didn't have the problem with their base radios, but pretty much no one else confirmed it.

Zero probs with the base radio other than it's a base radio- works great though.

Long live the MT! Congrats OP - it's a great way to drive.

Zero probs with the base radio other than it's a base radio- works great though.

Long live the MT! Congrats OP - it's a great way to drive.

Heh, yea, it really was just a bonus as I was looking for the safest vehicle in my price range. SUVs seemed to fare better in crashes vs traditional cars in a recent University of Buffalo study and the CX-5 had awesome crash tests (IIHS Top Safety Pick+ for 2015 models). It also had some of the best handling in its class along with an engaging drive, possibly helping to prevent accidents in the first place. Finally, being offered in manual transmission made it even more engaging. I hope I'll never have to test its safety!

I also recently purchased the sport MT model myself and while I thought the base radio was more than adequate... I had a loaner touring model for a day with the same radio and the additional tweeters in the dash. What a difference in sound it was, particularly with the windows down. I then did some searching and found out you can get those speakers for $16 each and install them yourself in less than 20 minutes as the wiring is already there in the dash. A well spent $32 upgrade.

I also agree that between 600 and 1000 miles my CX-5 seemed to loosen up a bit as well. It doesn't feel so restrained anymore.

I hope that the 6 speed doesn't ever get phased out! If it did I would be highly upset that I wouldn't ever be able to buy a new car.

I wish they offered the GT in a manual transmission. I would have been all over that.

Sucks that lower models have a fully functioning USB outlet but folks that spent the coin on the GT got screwed with the USB.

Bon

power

Im also planning to get the manual 2015 cx-5, one thing that worries me is that most reviews complain about the lack of power/acceleration with the 2.0 155hp engine...I think its just the automatic thats saps power...
Lack of power when loaded up is my main concern, after all this is a suv not a compact car, its suppose to carry stuff on trips, camping etc....

So I was wondering hows the power/acceleration with the manual transmission?

Last edited:
Im also planning to get the manual 2015 cx-5, one thing that worries me is that most reviews complain about the lack of power/acceleration with the 2.0 155hp engine...I think its just the automatic thats saps power...
Lack of power when loaded up is my main concern, after all this is a suv not a compact car, its suppose to carry stuff on trips, camping etc....

The power/acceleration is fine. It's not fast by any measure, but it has more than enough power to easily break the speed limit on any road. It does help to be in the right gear, but I can only count a handful of times where all 155 horses were actually needed.

As long as you keep the speed up at 60+ it can pull up any freeway grade in 5th fully loaded without braking a sweat. And trust me, my CX-5 has been very fully loaded quite a few times :)

"Michael Jordan of Automobile Magazine summed it up so well when he said "If you can't go fast on 90hp, 900 won't help you""

I have had zero issues with the acceleration and power. Then again... I traded in my Mazda 2 for the CX-5 simply for the sake of space and room and it has proved itself more than adequate with the pairing of the 2.0L and the manual gearbox. It felt a little sluggish when it was brand new from time to time, but now that I'm up around 1500 miles on it, it feels much more spirited and I have also gotten used to the gearing and what gear to be on with what hill and what scenario. I climb some pretty steep grades going to and from work as well as a combination of a good bit of highway. The CX-5 handles itself very well on steep grades where I had to downshift aggressively in the Mazda 2, even when fully loaded up with all of my gear to go to a wedding photo shoot.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I currently drive a 2012 mazda3 skyactiv manual with the 155hp engine, for this car the engine is perfect, lots of power all through the band. I was mostly concerned that the same engine is being used in a heavier suv making the car too weak for its class.

Im still thinking of waiting for the 2016 models to come out hoping they might offer better engines with a manual transmission

yea, another manual! I waited for a month to get mine back in Dec, 2012. no complaints so far, great car, acceleration is not too bad, good enough for a good MPG and roomy car.

acceleration is decent and it will suffer a bit once you put on the stock 19's but I'm still happy with it

It would be nice if they upgrade the Sport with 2.5L and keep the manual.

The only way they'll do that is if they see a market for a manual SUV. They got my money, so hopefully they'll keep it up!

That would seal the deal for me. I put off my purchase to replace my aging manual Escape waiting for a suitable replacement. I was set on the Sport Manual but after driving it, I decided to hold off. I was thinking the SkyActive weight reduction would help, but my Escape feels peppier.

That would seal the deal for me. I put off my purchase to replace my aging manual Escape waiting for a suitable replacement. I was set on the Sport Manual but after driving it, I decided to hold off. I was thinking the SkyActive weight reduction would help, but my Escape feels peppier.

I feel your pain......my 2002 Ford Escape has 297,000 miles on it-have not had a 3rd gear for over 80,000 miles. Was wary of the CX-5 Sport manual for the same reason you stated, but pulled the trigger in April.....do a lot of interstate driving and so far, "peppy" enough. Something about doing 75 in 6th gear and not quite to 3,000 rpms that intrigues me :) I would buy the CX-5 again........

Back