Voiding the Warrenty?

AVG JOE

:
Mazda, CX-5 ,AWD, Grand Touring, 2015, Tech Pkg, White
Does installing any of the factory accessories myself or any after market products on my CX-5 2015 void 10 year comprehensive warranty? I am really nervous about losing my warranty, but want to do some work to my new baby.

The warranty is only 3 years or 36k miles. Anything above that is probably an aftermarket policy you bought that has it's own specific terms. With the factory warranty things like accessories, especially factory ones, will not void your warranty. As for aftermarket products it depends. If you add the LED fog light housing and fry your electrical system that won't be covered. They also can't void your engine warranty because of something you do to your wheels, etc.

Comprehensive meaning bump to bumper? I suspect that installing any aftermarket product that increased the HP or changes the intended use of the vehicle could void the warranty. I would first read very carefully the warranty as described in the manual and anything that was not perfectly clear, would cause me to ask my dealer to explain. Ed

Since the OP mentioned factory accessories, I seriously doubt adding any of them would void the whole warrantee. I suppose the remote start could cause havoc if botched, but I can't think of anything else that might void the warrantee.

Comprehensive meaning bump to bumper? I suspect that installing any aftermarket product that increased the HP or changes the intended use of the vehicle could void the warranty. I would first read very carefully the warranty as described in the manual and anything that was not perfectly clear, would cause me to ask my dealer to explain. Ed

Thanks, only have the initial paperwork since I bought my car Monday 5/5/14. Going to have to really read thru it thanks.

I read one of those aftermarket warranties once, all work had to be done by an ASC shop, no shade tree garage, all OEM parts, no upgrades like Rain-X wipers, LED's, etc.

Considering my CX-7 went 150k without needing anything except what I had screwed up before it's violent death those warranties are not worth the paper they are written on.

Some dealers have a free extended power train warranty thru Castrol that requires you to come in for free oil changes, those free oil changes run about $100.00

Search the magnuson moss warranty act.
That being said, if you install something aftermarket, the dealership will do their best to blame the aftermarket part depending on the problem. From a company stand point, is it fair that you add on an intake and subsequently more dirt gets lodged into the engine and now ruins the internals? Should the company be held liable because you lowered the vehicle and your camber/caster/toe adjustments are constantly out of whack?
On the other hand, if you install new rear tail lights or a strut tower bar, there is very little those components can do to ruin the functionality of the vehicle. Also, keep in mind that once you mod the vehicle, you have to accept certain things i.e. lowered ride WILL be a rough drive, more power=less mpg's or durability of engine, etc.
Bottom line...I used to mod all of my vehicles. I accepted the risk of losing the warranty before I installed any part on it. I decided now that unless I want a something specific like a good road racer, I need to buy a vehicle dedicated towards that goal. For now, I enjoy my vehicle just as the manufacture intended me to.

dealers are quick to say the aftermarket mods you made are the root cause for the problem and because of if it say your warranty is voided even thought that was not the cause. Bottom-line if they see a way to save paying out money on repairs they will use it.

That is not true. They have to PROVE that the aftermarket part caused the failure. Example... lowering your car is not going to ruin a piston. Putting in H.I.D.s in your fog lights wont cause the muffler to fall off.

Only 36K warranty? Why such a low mileage.

60K in the UK, Honda are 100K miles.

Only 36K warranty? Why such a low mileage. 60K in the UK, Honda are 100K miles.
Market conditions and demands vary from country to country. Mazda believes that 3/36 is all they need to be competitive in this market. And at the moment, they're probably correct.

Auto mans don't have to PROVE anything, outside a court of law.
It's easy for them to simply deny work, based on evidence they find and deem passable as a sound excuse for refusing warranty coverage.
Don't expect laws to protect you outside of court. Don' expect to go to court without it costing you.

You have two options - either don't modify any critical components, which may be argued as the catalyst to a mechanical problem, or get in bed with your service department, and get ensured (which still in no grantee), that they'll "oversee" modifications in the event you seek warranty work. Otherwise, it's a pay-to-play ordeal.

That is not true. They have to PROVE that the aftermarket part caused the failure. Example... lowering your car is not going to ruin a piston. Putting in H.I.D.s in your fog lights wont cause the muffler to fall off.

Dude your examples are so left field it's not even funny and make no sense what so ever if you lower your car and after a few months your have excessive wear on your strut tower or your shocks and struts bottom out they can always say you are using your car outside the manufacturers specs they could void your warranty and all repairs will be at the expense of the owner. Just like if you install HIDd for your fogs and the wiring harness burned up well so did your warranty.

Who said it was supposed to be funny? I am making a point and I feel like you're almost understanding it.
If you have an internal engine failure, they (dealership) cannot blame it on lowering the vehicle or installing a painted engine cover. What does that mean? If your crankshaft falls apart, if your intake manifold blows up, if your throttle position sensor malfunctions, if a solenoid in the transmissions fails, the dealership cannot LEGALLY say they wont fix the vehicle under warranty because lowering springs were installed. Feel me? The dealership MUST PROVE that the component installed DIRECTLY caused the problem in question. Again, read the Magnusson Moss Act.
To the original poster...if you modify your vehicle, you will have problems with the dealership. As mentioned by someone else, between the court system and money (which I assume your pockets aren't that deep) it really isn't worth the battle. You'll be tied up in litigation for years just trying to get them to fix the problem. It's not worth it. Save your time and money and enjoy the CX-5 for what it is, not what it "could" be.

Only 36K warranty? Why such a low mileage.

60K in the UK, Honda are 100K miles.

Warranties are complex things and cars have several different ones - bumper to bumper, the powertrain and one for rust typically. Besides the probabilistic calculations involved in estimating how long something will last in a given climate and how much to cover, there are also legal considerations that vary from country to country. A warranty written for the UK is likely quite different than the US one in what it covers and how it covers it. This will also affect the cost of the vehicle. Just as an example, if Country A requires a 100k powertrain warranty by law, then customers will certainly pay more up front.

Back