CX-5 Safety- what changes were made between 2013-2014 models?

sigg

:
Volvo S40
I'm interested in getting a CX-5 as a family car and am looking at a variety of cars. However, the CX-5 is a front-runner now.

IIHS ranks it as a top safety pick + and it did quite well in all the crash tests. The interesting thing is that models built before 11/2013 did not do as well on the small overlap:
The driver's space was seriously compromised by intruding structure. Lower interior intrusion measured as much as 28 cm at the hinge pillar, and the upper hinge pillar and instrument panel intruded 19-21 cm.

Injury measures
Measures from the dummy indicate that injuries to the left knee and left lower leg would be possible in a crash of this severity. The risk of significant injuries to other body regions is low.

Restraints and dummy kinematics
The dummys head contacted the frontal airbag but slid off the left side as the steering column moved 12 cm to the right, leaving the head vulnerable to contact with forward side structure. Additionally, the seat belt allowed excessive forward excursion of the dummys head and torso. The side curtain airbag deployed too late during the crash and does not have sufficient forward coverage to protect the head from contact with forward side structure and outside objects.

Now compare it to the newer models (models built after 10/2013):
The Mazda CX-5 was introduced in the 2013 model year. Beginning with 2014 models built after October 2013, the front and side airbag programming and the front structure were modified to improve occupant protection in small overlap frontal crashes (note: information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door).

Structure
The driver space was maintained reasonably well, with maximum intrusion of the upper interior of 7-8 cm at the upper hinge pillar and instrument panel. Lower interior intrusion measured 8 cm at the brake pedal.

Injury measures
Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity.

Restraints and dummy kinematics
The dummys movement was well controlled. The dummys head loaded the frontal airbag, which stayed in front of the dummy until rebound. The side curtain airbag deployed and had sufficient forward coverage to protect the head from contact with side structure and outside objects. The side torso airbag also deployed.

This is really more of a nerd question to satisfy my curiosity...

I get that tweaking the airbag settings, the seatbelt would help out with some of this.
But does anybody know what specifically Mazda did to the front structure? It's pretty amazing that they were able to modify all this fairly quickly and get it out to market with a significant improvement.

Welcome Sigg. How's the S40 been?

I'm not surprised that Mazda could make the structural changes and put them into production several months after launch of CX-5 (not that quickly IMO but done right), good engineering now they now that they studied the small overlap test. Btw - IIHS testing is more stringent than the mandatory testing in the US, glad to see Mazda take it seriously. I don't expect Mazda to provide details of the exact changes made to front structure.

They added more metal in the front corner areas, doesn't help those of us that have earlier models...

Welcome Sigg. How's the S40 been?

I'm not surprised that Mazda could make the structural changes and put them into production several months after launch of CX-5 (not that quickly IMO but done right), good engineering now they now that they studied the small overlap test. Btw - IIHS testing is more stringent than the mandatory testing in the US, glad to see Mazda take it seriously. I don't expect Mazda to provide details of the exact changes made to front structure.

Yeah, it's nice to see they were able to make changes quickly and didn't mess around with excuses. (2thumbs)

S40's been fine (knock on wood with any European car) and hope to keep it for a good bit longer- about to hit the 100K mark. With a new baby and the wife's car on its last legs, it's time to get a car with a bit more space.

The sticker is near the drivers door striker will give you the build date. Luckily mine shows 11-2013.

The engineering changes will have different effective dates depending which country you are in. The best way to know s that they changed the gear shifter to a straight one from the gated. If it is a straight shifter, then it has the engineering changes that pass the small overlap crash test. Don't worry about the production date otherwise.

The engineering changes will have different effective dates depending which country you are in. The best way to know s that they changed the gear shifter to a straight one from the gated. If it is a straight shifter, then it has the engineering changes that pass the small overlap crash test. Don't worry about the production date otherwise.

I know I sound like an obsessive-compulsive geek, but I was hoping to read something like the above. After a bad accident some years back, I keep obsessing about the small overlap crash test change. As you all know, the post-10/13 manufactured CX-5s officially have the engineering change that passes the small overlap crash test. But on 11/18/13 before that change was announced, I purchased a brand new 2014 CX-5 Touring made in 9/2013 that has a straight shifter with leather boot as well as the Blue Reflex Mica paint which they added mid-model year in the fall. So I've been pouring through all of this site hoping I could read how I might figure out if I MIGHT be lucky enough to have one of the first improved frames, even though it was made in September, maybe having a 2014.5 as some call it. So I feel more hopeful, but wish I could find out via the frame serial number series under the front passenger footwell or by some sort of visual inspection/indicator if I looked under the car, under the hood or took off a piece of plastic molding.

So this just commentary expressing that there is a site like this to discuss. I guess therapy post is done. Thank you.

They added more metal in the front corner areas, doesn't help those of us that have earlier models...

Is there any way you can tell if you have the added metal in the corner areas? I know officially it's all CX-5s made after 10/13 but since mine (built 9/13) has the leather booted, straight line gear shift and new mid-year color Reflex Blue Mica, I was hoping I might have the beefed up frame. Thanks!

Top Safety Pick+ ^

Nobody here has had a severe crash of 2013/2014/2015 and reported in yet.

Top Safety Pick+ ^

Nobody here has had a severe crash of 2013/2014/2015 and reported in yet.

I'm not ready to volunteer mine yet. Seriously, many years ago I worked for a US office of TUV Product Service which was based in Munich. Their automotive division would crash-test Mercedes and Porsches. I don't think I could do that job. (notcool)

When mine was ordered there was an "A" production code and "B" production code. The dealer that you bought the car can tell you that info. At the time when I purchased -April 2014, only "B" productions were left since early year cars were already long sold out. Mine was an October 2013 on the door.

Mine is 10/13. Didn't make the cut. If I had known that I would have waited. The main reason I bought this vehicle was for the 5 star safety ratings I researched before buying. I saw no mention of the pre October versions being less safe at the time. My gut instinct was telling me "Subaru Forester". Now I know why.

Last edited:
Back