Mazda CX-5 Buying Advice needed, ASAP!!

Remembering42

:
Mazda6 GT
Hello Mazda owners,

I am desperately in need of some advice.. I am just about to trade in my Mazda CX-7 for a more fuel efficient Mazda CX-5 and the only 2014 GT model they can find is one that had 8000 km on it. According to the dealer this is still considered new?!? In my opinion its has 6 months of use on it. I have an appointment to discuss a discount with the dealer tomorrow and would like to hear some of your thoughts i.e. how much discount should I request? Should I stay away?

Let me know...

Jackie

Don't be desperate. The 2015 are out or are coming out. Skip this vehicle in my opinion. If you insistt then you should get it for under invoice..Ed

Thanks for the reply Ed. One of my options is the 2015 but the interest rate is higher 3.99% instead of .99% - which ups my payments by $35/month for the same car. I don't really know what, "under invoice" is? Should I ask them to knock off $1000? $500?

Let me know...

A 500$ or 1000$ discount is not worth it for a used car sold as a new one. Sit tight and wait.

Stay away from that car unless you are getting it at a used price. 5000mi (8000km) is a lot of mileage to be considered new. Just think of the depreciation when you drive that "new" car off the lot. Unless you get it for several thousand under the price of a new one walk and never visit that dealer again!

It is a used car. For them to say it is new is a lie. I would find a different dealer, tell the shady dealer to kiss your rear then make sure to tell everyone you meet about them trying to take advantage stage of you.

Thanks guys.. your feedback makes a lot of sense.. Unfortunately, I need to stay with this dealer since I have a trade in that other dealers may not take and we've already signed..So, unless its a "used car" offer that I cannot refuse, I will stay away. It is looking more and more that I should bite the bullet and buy the 2015 model...

I'd start at invoice, then deduct the lease rate for mileage (about .20/mile), then insist they sell it as a certified preowned which will give you an additional 12 months 12000 miles (total 48000mile, 4 years) to the warranty and a 7 year 100000 mile drivetrain which is almost as good as an extended warranty. Make sure you see the certified pre-owned paperwork and verify the contract so they don't "forget".

If they don't agree, wait.

In some States a vehicle with less than 5,000 miles and has never been titled, can be sold as "New" but, not to me. I like jjw6455s thinking. You must get the dealer to show you the envoice for that vehicle. If they hesitate, walk out and find another dealer. Ed

When i was shopping, I saw a used 14 GS AWD with 9500kms. The vehicle had a remote starter and the 3m protection for extras.
The dealer had it listed app $3000 less than new which also included the 7 year warranty.

In your case 8K is a fair amount of use. A 15% discount is not too much to ask for. (-$5000)

Last edited:
In some States a vehicle with less than 5,000 miles and has never been titled, can be sold as "New" but, not to me. I like jjw6455s thinking. You must get the dealer to show you the envoice for that vehicle. If they hesitate, walk out and find another dealer. Ed

i had a dealer/stealer tell me this. i laughed in his face. while the law may consider it new, any reasonable person knows it is a used car. buy from this dealer at your own risk.

financially, this is a very bad decision. look at the sticky 'how did you pay' at the top of this forum. you will see people routinely get 1000 off for a brand-new car.

look at truecar.com to see what others in your area are paying for a new 2015.

curious about your trade. why do you say others won't take it?

Last edited:
I got 2k off a new car and the deals should only get better with the 2015's coming out.

Good luck!
The 2015s ARE out. We've had ours for 2 weeks and we weren't the first by a considerable measure.

There is a reason that car is not sold, need to figure that out. It's been said previously at minimum I would use their per mile depreciation charge used on lease trade-in's and request a longer warranty on top of it. If it's the right color and all looks works and runs good then go for it. Employee pricing is 3% below invoice by the way, the challenge is getting the "real" invoice.

The dealer may take your car or give more for your used vehicle when you trade it in because they are making money off the sale of the new vehicle and they calculated the loss on your trade in into the profit on the sale of the new vehicle. They are not doing you any favor or will they do something at a loss. They are there to rip you off but its up to you by how much. A little or a lot.

I've known people who have sold their cars outright at CarMax then used the proceeds to purchase a new car at dealership. That way they knew exactly what they were getting for their used car and how much they paid for the new car. A downside is that sales tax has to be paid on the full purchase price since there is no trade in. Get a quote on the trade in value of you car at CarMax, and use that as the minimum acceptable trade in value. If the new dealer won't give you the same amount tell him you'll buy the new car without a trade in and sell the old one at CarMax.

autotrader.com has an 'instant trade-in' feature, too. says some will buy it outright.

Hello Mazda owners,

I am desperately in need of some advice.. I am just about to trade in my Mazda CX-7 for a more fuel efficient Mazda CX-5 and the only 2014 GT model they can find is one that had 8000 km on it. According to the dealer this is still considered new?!? In my opinion its has 6 months of use on it. I have an appointment to discuss a discount with the dealer tomorrow and would like to hear some of your thoughts i.e. how much discount should I request? Should I stay away?

Let me know...

Jackie

That would be considered 'nearly new' in the uk. You have to wonder why someone sold it at that mileage. they'd take a big hit in depreciation.

That would be considered 'nearly new' in the uk. You have to wonder why someone sold it at that mileage. they'd take a big hit in depreciation.

it was probably a loaner, demonstrator or a vehicle the staff used.

Back