Ouch

Here is a picture of the CX-5 after the crash, the idiot slammed into it pretty hard, that's a lot of rear damage when both were driving forward:
701330322977935281.jpg

"The impact was enough to raise the back end of the vehicle off of the ground. Only minor injury for people inside the vehicle. You can't see it in this picture but there looked to be a helmet or other body part impacted above the driverside brake light. The guy on the bike did fly off to the side of the car past my vehicle for a short time, not a site I like to remember. The police report says his body came to rest on the pavement in lane two, 326.7 feet from the point of impact and his bike 450.8 feet."

Wow, horrific accident that normally would result in a dead rider.

Yep, survived, but who knows what lingering injuries will plague him for life.

Nice exapmple of panicked target fixation. I don't wish death on stupid people most of the time so hopefully he learned a lesson that he will pass on the other stupids.

i used to live in denver and work in boulder. i drove that exact spot countless times.

i counted 14 bounces.

Nice exapmple of panicked target fixation. I don't wish death on stupid people most of the time so hopefully he learned a lesson that he will pass on the other stupids.

Actually, target fixation is the natural tendency to ride into where you are looking. This guy was fixated on the other bike and only turned around to see the CX-5's butt-end waaay too late.

Actually, target fixation is the natural tendency to ride into where you are looking. This guy was fixated on the other bike and only turned around to see the CX-5's butt-end waaay too late.

He had time to avoid that car once he looked forward but he was to busy staring at it to do what he needed to do.

And when you start a statement with "actually" it sounds condescending. My girlfriends 6 year old does that. Its not classy.

Last edited:
He had time to avoid that car once he looked forward but he was to busy staring at it to do what he needed to do.

And when you start a statement with "actually" it sounds condescending. My girlfriends 6 year old does that. Its not classy.

Geez!

There was no intention at all to be condescending. sorry that you are so easily offended. Teachers and instructors do this all of the time in the classroom. Having been heavily involved in both aviation and motorcycle safety courses over a long period of time, I gently offered this correction. I'm not going to bother posting external references, but google "target fixation" and you will see what I mean.

Is the classy version: "pardon me, please take no offense, but I want to introduce another line of thought regarding target fixation".

The video title says "140 MPH", which translates to 2/3 of a football field per second. I doubt he had time avoid, and almost certain he didn't have time to fixate.

Anyhow, that's my humble opinion.

If you read the reddit threads, a number of people estimated the actual speed to be closer to 100-110mph, or a closing speed of ~45mph. Looking at the rear of the Mazda afterward, it's banged up, but not as badly as even a 45mph accident with a bike, I would've thought. In any case, certainly wasn't an 85mph hit.

he was probably thinking 'this is gonna look sweet on youtube' and how many 'likes' he would get on facebook. (spank)

Is the classy version: "pardon me, please take no offense, but I want to introduce another line of thought regarding target fixation".

That's (rofl2)

As a biker I have to say that guy is an embarrassment to motorcyclists. The idiocy of not looking not where you are going (not to mention scanning the sides of the road for critters) for that long at speed shows an incredible ignorance of what he is doing.

Back