tpms

vasichkin

:
2014 Mazda CX5 AWD Touring
Dont know how to use or set the tire pressure morning system. Is there a low tire pressure light? I used to have a car that displayed the psi in each tire. I wish mazda did that.

If you adjust the tire pressures then turn the ignition on and press and hold the TPMS button until it resets, the process is in the manual as well. Be sure to do this with cool tires for more accurate reading.

The TPMS does not detect pressure directly. It detects rolling resistance, tire diameter, etc. using the ABS and other sensors.

I don't know if the CX-5 has indirect as Beefy notes or direct TPMS sensors. The odd thing for me is that when I adjusted all 4 tires to 34 psi (after I found out thr dealer had them at 50psi) the TPMS went off. One would think if the system was indirect it would not have triggered as all 4 tires would be rotating at the same speed after the pressure change, right? Also this Youtube video indicates the TPMS is battery operated, that also seems to indicate it is a direct system? Will need to research more to see if the answer is out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xIbCzUpDlg

I am fairly certain that the system is indirect with no sensors inside the tire.
The video refers to the car's battery being disconnected, which would cause the system to forget the settings.
The system probably triggered when you lowered the tire pressure because there is more weight on the front axle than the rear so the diameter of the front tires likely changed more than the rears when the pressure was reduced. Just a guess on my part.....

I don't know if the CX-5 has indirect as Beefy notes or direct TPMS sensors. The odd thing for me is that when I adjusted all 4 tires to 34 psi (after I found out thr dealer had them at 50psi) the TPMS went off. One would think if the system was indirect it would not have triggered as all 4 tires would be rotating at the same speed after the pressure change, right? Also this Youtube video indicates the TPMS is battery operated, that also seems to indicate it is a direct system? Will need to research more to see if the answer is out there.

It is absolutely not direct. The TPMS being set off from the change in pressure is exactly that - it detected the [/change/] from the previous setpoint.

That video refers to the main battery. Obviously the setting will be forgotten is the battery is cut.

Sigh. This is all in the manual. For example, 2014 manual, page 4-92. "The system monitors the tire pressures indirectly using the data sent from the ABS wheel speed sensors."

Not trying to be rude, be I'd really suggest reading that manual you got with the new car, especially if you don't know how things work. That's what it's for you know. There's a whole section on TPMS. And a section on warning lights that would easily have answered your question "Is there a low tire pressure light?"

I find it unbelievable that supposedly intelligent people don't even read the owners manual for their new vehicle.

When mine goes off I also have to reset the maintenance setting to check once a month or the warning does not go away. Is this normal?

and even more weird I have had the low pressure warning come on when starting the car not while in motion. How could it tell difference in rotation when not moving?

Back