Mazda Rear Bumper Step Foil - easy to install?

Mountkeen

:
Mazda CX5 2.2D Sport Nav
I need to put something on the rear bumper in the way of protection. I installed a chrome bumper strip on my old Nissan X-Trail and that did the job fine but with little or no chrome on the CX5 I'm looking for something that is a little less bling.

Mazda UK offers this as a self fit option.

I'm fine with that in terms of appearance but don't know how effective it'll be in dealing with the knocks of daily life and wonder if anyone has had issues fitting it. As a film these things can be fiddly if you get air bubbles etc.

Alternatively there's this as a non-OEM product. Maybe a bit "in-your-face" for me.

$_12.JPG

Any views/experiences with either product or has anyone experience of another product? I'm not interested in metallic finishes and I want something that will wrap around the lip of the bumper.

I had a window tinter fit a piece of 3M film to my bumper for much less than Mazda charges for option #1 above. It's great aesthetically, but doesn't offer a whole lot of real-life protection. Most, if not all, of the other bumper guards Mazda and after market suppliers offer are pretty pathetic in comparison to other auto manufacturers. What occurred to be not long ago, and has never been suggested here, is it shouldn't be too hard to apply a proper black vinyl bumper cap from, say a Nissan, Mercedes, Ford or other SUV, to the CX-5 bumper. The size and arc of most of these covers appear to be pretty much the same and I'm sure someone else's parts dept would be glad to order one up for you.

Back