Instrument cluster cover lens

SirCharles

:
2014 Mazda CX5 GS AWD
I noticed a few light scratches on the cover of instrument cluster on my new cx5. Anyone have any tips for repair? Feel bad asking dealer to replace the lens as scratches are barely noticeable. Any suggestions?

If you're noticing the scratches that means they're distracting you which can make for unsafe driving. Besides, it was probably the dealer's detail dept. that put them there in prepping the car for delivery. I would ask for a replacement and not think twice about it. Why should you have to live with their screw-up?

Thanks Paris1. Pretty sure it was something like that. Already contacted dealer about getting the lens replaced. They need to see it then return trip required later to replace. Would like to avoid trips to dealership for this but I sure haven't found much convincing me this type of material (acrylic?) can be easily polished clear again. I would probably make things worse.

Instrument cluster lens replacement

Anyone have experience getting replacement lens covering instrument cluster? Is this a difficult thing to do? Would this lens be an expensive part? My dealer is not close by. If it's a cheap easy job I would pay my local mechanic to order the lens and do it instead of taking time off or giving up a Saturday to get this done at dealers.

Anyone have tips about how to keep the shiny plastics inside scratch free? Detailing advice? Anyone use film protection on inside plastics?

The lens is made of soft plastic. Like most gauge cluster lenses. Using anything other than a slightly damp microfiber cloth will cause marring to the surface. It can be polished away with fine low abrasive polish, but due to the limited work space, it isn't easy to do.

So popped into nearby dealership parts dept today. scratched lens replacement sounds like no big deal. part is cheap and can be ordered. happy to know this is not a big problem.

Back