Will it fit

rafathegoat

:
Mazda 2012 MX-5
I was told I could fit the steering air bag from a CX-7 into my MX-5 does anyone know if this is true

I would check the oem part numbers online. If they do not match up, I would pass.

Just because the part numbers do not match, doesn't mean it won't fit.

I was told I could fit the steering air bag from a CX-7 into my MX-5 does anyone know if this is true

Believe it or not, most OEM Mazda steering wheels are mechanically interchangeable. And, if I remember correctly, the CX-7 steering wheel is a similar design to the MX-5, too. If you wander over to miata.net I think there was a member there that replaced his steering wheel with one from a CX-7.

Just because the part numbers do not match, doesn't mean it won't fit.

Believe it or not, most OEM Mazda steering wheels are mechanically interchangeable. And, if I remember correctly, the CX-7 steering wheel is a similar design to the MX-5, too. If you wander over to miata.net I think there was a member there that replaced his steering wheel with one from a CX-7.

Agreed. Unless there is some significant need otherwise, the OEM will use the same spline/taper on the steering column and steering wheel. Why engineer multiple solutions when you can apply the same solution across all vehicles and save engineering time (money), and produce a common part instead of different parts (again, cost savings)?

The more likely issue is the fit and function of associated parts, like switches, spiral cables, and airbag connectors. Sometimes it's plug and play, sometimes it requires some work.

Just to confirm your statement, the CX-7 steering wheel is EXACTLY the same as MS3 steering wheel. And so are the door handles ;) I say it's worth taking the chance OP.

Back