How safe would it be to tow a Miata on a dolly with a CX-5?

rubeninfl

Hi guys, I just inherited an 96 miata that's about 100 miles from my house. I'm thinking of how I can get it here. It's not in good enough shape to drive it here. I'm leaning towards just renting a pickup from uhaual along with a dolly and doing that, but I was wondering if the cx-5 would be able to pull the dolly and miata? The miata weighs 2000 pounds. I mean, I know it can pull it, but would I be causing serious harm? I have a manual transmission if that helps and I'm in Florida so no hills to worry about either.

I think that would be a risk if you are considering a dolly for two wheels and pulling with your CX5. I would do the pickup and a trailer to drive the Miata on..

So the dry weight of a '96 Miata is just under 2300# and the dolly adds ???#. Tow rating of the CX-5 is 2000#. It's iffy, but you're no doubt better off with the manual in this case, the distance isn't great and the terrain flat. I can see your dilemma.

I think that would be a risk if you are considering a dolly for two wheels and pulling with your CX5. I would do the pickup and a trailer to drive the Miata on..

i would 2nd that. the rental shouldn't cost much more than a hundred bucks. not worth the risk, imo.

Would I personally risk damage to a shiny new CX-5, for the sake of a beat up old POS MX-5? Noooooope.

It's actually a very good question, I'm interested in the answers too. It could be a different car too, not just a Miata.

I have the same dilemma. We will move to Tennessee in the future and was thinking about how to get my wife's Miata there (a beautiful '03 Special Edition with only 37,000 on it, definitely not a POS!). At the end of the day, it's probably easiest just to ship it.

I'd shop to have it moved, or shop to have it flat-bedded by tow company.

Note: AAA-Plus membership benefits include tows up to 100 miles.

Nah, I pay $138/year (coverage for 2 people) for a road service that I rarely use.

Once I had a Acura towed 80 miles directly to my favorite shop on a weekend, no complaints.

So the dry weight of a '96 Miata is just under 2300# and the dolly adds ???#. Tow rating of the CX-5 is 2000#. It's iffy, but you're no doubt better off with the manual in this case, the distance isn't great and the terrain flat. I can see your dilemma.

The dolly I have to pull my CX-5 behind my motorhome weighs every bit of 600lb, and thats mid range for dollies. The uhaul dollies are more.

Also, unless you plan on pulling the driveshaft, youre risking significant damage to the transmission bearings in the Miata. Theyre reliant on the cluster gear splashing fluid around for lubrication.

Lastly, not a chance that I would put what amounts to a 2800lb load behind my CX-5. FWD, short wheelbase, over GCWR, lacking brakes... No, on multiple levels.

Right tool for the job and all that...

You could probably tow it. I would worry about stopping it. A car on a dolly is a 4 wheel trailer. If you have to stop quick, and the CX-5 can get enough traction to stop quick then the dolly will try to pass you. Been there, done that, Adrenaline high for a long time. I enjoy driving. I drive un plowed roads in the winter for fun. If I ever use a dolly again, and it is doubtful, I would make sure that the tow vehicle outweighs the car and dolly by at least two to one, and that the roads are dry and it is daylight. I would rent a truck that I could put the Miata in, or a truck and trailer. BTW Fix that little guy up and drive it, they are fun cars.

Back