CX-5 Sport and Touring AC Knob Replacement

mentalcase

:
Meteor Gray 2014 Touring CX-5
I like so many things about my cx-5, but one thing I can't stand is the AC knobs that came on my touring model. They are literally the exact same knobs that came on my 2007 3 way back when. So I got to searching and found these online. Can't find any specially for the CX-5, but I'm wondering if any for the 6 or the 2010-later 3 will work for our cars.

Any one have experience with these?

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I was wondering about this as well. Hopefully someone can shine some light on the subject. I would love to change the knobs on my GS.

I have to admit, when I saw the subject of this thread I thought "Who would care about the HVAC control knobs?" But looking at the ebay listing items, these probably would be an improvement over the stock items. Which, BTW, are the same ones used on my wife's '06 Miata! I doubt these would work as the listing seems pretty emphatic that they are for Gen I Mazda 6 only, but just for laughs I emailed them asking if they might also fit CX-5.

If they are the right diameter they should fit. After removing my stock knob the inside looks identical.

I wonder why Mazda didn't make the controls look like the new 6.

Based on these photos I took earlier tonight I don't think they will fit.
2014-03-25193654_zps249af070.jpg

2014-03-25193702_zpsebec0c2d.jpg

How did you get those suckers out? I tugged on each one and they didn't give any indication of budging!

The middle one is the easiest. I was able to take it off by hand. The side knobs are going to require a towel and vice grips.

I have a solid feeling these will fit. Look at the male part which seems very similar if not the s

Edit: I took the plunge on these as the 2010 mazda 3 knobs look real similar. They are coming from hong kong so it will take a while, but I'll report back.

Last edited:
The middle one is the easiest. I was able to take it off by hand. The side knobs are going to require a towel and vice grips.

I have a solid feeling these will fit. Look at the male part which seems very similar if not the s

Edit: I took the plunge on these as the 2010 mazda 3 knobs look real similar. They are coming from hong kong so it will take a while, but I'll report back.
Thanks for being the guinea pig! Must have something to do with your forum name!

Willing to take a chance for $20. Worse comes to worse I'll end up chopping off the ends and swapping them.

Look at the pics and you'll see one of the knobs installed with the old knob being held. It looks real familiar.

The 6 knobs look like they may be too shallow.

This!

Look at the pics and you'll see one of the knobs installed with the old knob being held. It looks real familiar.

The 6 knobs look like they may be too shallow.
Good luck. I just took a second look at both ebay listings (for the 3 and 6 knobs) and they are very confusing, using some of the same pics for both and showing both shallow and deep designs in the same listing (6). It will be interesting to see if you can modify whatever you get to fit the CX-5. FWIW, I got a response from them that the ones for the 6 will not work on the CX-5.

I'm feeling more confident about this after seeing this pic online.

mazda-3-hvac-knobs.jpg

Someone did say that the glow was white. Unless the backlighting is already red/amber (it may be) then we are forced to paint or color these with filters.

Well I just got them in the mail and I can confirm that the ones for the 2010-2013 Mazda 3 work just fine. They are not 100%, but are nearly 95% and look great.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 2014-04-05 13.55.40.jpg
    2014-04-05 13.55.40.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 774
  • 2014-04-05 13.55.32.jpg
    2014-04-05 13.55.32.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,348
Looks good! Does it light up when you turn on the parking/headlights? And you mention 95%... What do you observe that will put it to 100%? You definitely got me interested in this mod. :)

Last edited:
The modifications would be hard to make yourself. The HVAC unit is not completely flat behind the knobs so these rub slightly and have a tad more resistance then the stock knobs. Other then that they are perfect and really look much better.

As for the backlight the speed and mode knob are perfect. The temperature knob is not the same shade of amber and is washed out slightly. Nothing that a little paint won't solve. I'll take a picture when I can.

For less then $20 this mod is a no brainer.

Back