push button start

I'm not sure of the point of a push button start. I don't see why it's needed. My wife has locked her keys already 3 times in the car. I prefer the actual key instead. Either way you still need a fob. Tell me. What's the point??

I have the smart key system so the keys always stay in my pocket, I don't think its possible to lock them in?

Perhaps the push button works better with this system, I think the push start is a gimmick, but it works.

My last car was also smart, and with that you had to turn a switch much like old systems, but without having the keys in.

I honestly didn't know it would let you lock the keys in. In fact I'm pretty certain ours won't.

How did your wife lock the car if the keys were in the car?

I've been thinking about that and cheapest way to prevent it. Buy a blank CX-5 key and put that in the fob, then put the factory key in a container and hide it under a bumper or fender. Next time you are locked out, the key is available.

Well I know for a fact that the fob cannot lock the car with engine on from outside. Nor can the car be locked unless the key is inside the car. Which is a bit of a nuisance when warming up during cold winters.

^ This I can't lock my key Iinthe car, it won't let me. I'd like to make another comment but yea.. not gonna go there.

ANOTHER thread with someone complaining about the push button start/key fob??!?!? ugh.
Get over it.

ANOTHER thread with someone complaining about the push button start/key fob??!?!? ugh.
Get over it.

What's wrong with someone complaining?

That's the only thing that keeps a forum active, problems and complaints, if you have neither you get a dead forum.

Much like the xtrailuk forum I occasionally visit.

What's wrong with someone complaining?

That's the only thing that keeps a forum active, problems and complaints, if you have neither you get a dead forum.

Much like the xtrailuk forum I occasionally visit.

My reply was more of why didn't they search and reply to the other key fob/push start complaint thread, not make a new one.

I think the push start is a gimmick, but it works.
Agreed. There is no real point to it other than the 'wow' factor, which is not so much these days. That being said, I prefer the push button start.

As for locking the keys in the car, I think you can do it if you use the button on the door as you get out. On my car, I can't lock the doors using another fob if there is a fob in the car. Kind of backwards really, because if you have another fob on you, there is no danger of getting locked out.

I've been thinking about that and cheapest way to prevent it. Buy a blank CX-5 key and put that in the fob, then put the factory key in a container and hide it under a bumper or fender. Next time you are locked out, the key is available.
This is similar to what I did. I bought a key from the dealer and keep it in my wallet. Problem solved. For a lady, maybe keep the spare in your purse?

Worse case scenario, if she absolutely keeps making the mistake of locking the keys in the car, maybe this is the answer, put it right by the push button and paint it to blend in.
0005113176908_500X500.jpg

the push button becomes relevant only when the car is truly keyless entry... this is one of the reasons I went for the GT.

before buying it, I made sure to mention/complain about the stupidity of any car with push button that requires to unlock with a key fob... Eventally, all cars will be keyless entry/push start.

and eventually all cars will have RDL's front and rear

This is the first car I've had with a start button. At first I thought it was a gimmick but I've grown to like it. I just leave the keys in my pocket so they leave with me.

One good reason for keyless is that the starter switch cannot be worn out or damaged by the weight and movement of key chains hanging off the lock/switch. Keyless also allows you to leave your engine running (like on a cold morning) absent you in the vehicle, without leaving your keys in it.

I think the key point that people are making is that I don't think you can lock the your keys in the car. It will not auto-lock it if detects the keys in there.

If the fob is in the car for a certain (long) period of time while off, the car will stop responding to it. You then have to reinitialize that key by bringing to to the start button otherwise the fob will no longer work. (All of this is in the manual.) The time it takes to deactivate the key if you are using the car daily would make it more or less impossible to happen.

Unless you have a gt, doors will lock with the inside lock button, with the fob in the car. Mazda must have realized how bad of an idea it was to cheap out on the touring so they added the passive key to the 2015 model.

Unless you have a gt, doors will lock with the inside lock button, with the fob in the car.

I still don't see how can you accidentally lock the fob in the car. You'd have to be a world class idiot, and deliberately/manually lock the doors..

Agreed. There is no real point to it other than the 'wow' factor, which is not so much these days. That being said, I prefer the push button start.

As for locking the keys in the car, I think you can do it if you use the button on the door as you get out. On my car, I can't lock the doors using another fob if there is a fob in the car. Kind of backwards really, because if you have another fob on you, there is no danger of getting locked out.

This is similar to what I did. I bought a key from the dealer and keep it in my wallet. Problem solved. For a lady, maybe keep the spare in your purse?

Worse case scenario, if she absolutely keeps making the mistake of locking the keys in the car, maybe this is the answer, put it right by the push button and paint it to blend in.
0005113176908_500X500.jpg
Yes I can see how a (sanitary) douche holder may help. The keys could be hung right on it. Problem solved.

Seriously... Either take the key fob out, unlock door, put it back in your pocket/purse and push the start button on your car.
Or if you're like me, stick your hand in your pocket and push unlock and get in car, start car.
Once you get out of your car, do the same to lock the car.

There is ZERO reason to leave the key fob in the car.

Back