Windshield scrach

zorobg

Contributor
:
CX-5 GS
Has anyone got scratches on their windshield? I just took my CX-5 for her first ride last night and the first thing I noticed was a huge streak right in front on my line of sight. Initially I thought it was a washer residue from an uneven wiper blade, but when trying to wash it failed I got outside to check it closely. Lo and behold it was an actual scratch and a deep one too; you can feel the groove if you run your finger across it (there was nothing on the blade though). It follows the wiper blade path so I guess it was caused by something stuck on the wiper. It's not the only one either; there are two smaller ones that go about half the way across, but they are deep ones too. I haven't used the wipers since I took delivery, so I'm positive this is how I got it; how I missed it there and during the 10km drive home is beyond me. The more important question is why did it happen, the car had only 17km on it on pick up; windshields should not scratch this easy. The CX-5 is replacing a 18 year old, 250000km Stratus and although its windshield has thousands if tiny scratches there is nothing that's even remotely close (and they are all random, nothing that follows the blade). It really rises the question how well the windshield was manufactured if the first grain of sand (or three) had scratched it. To make matters worse while I was searching online for possible solutions, I came across a number of reports from people experiencing windshield cracks on their CX-5's that did not appear to have been caused by stones. I wonder if Mazda has underspec'ed the the windshields in their pursuit to lose weight.

My 2014 CX5 windshield has thousnds of sand grand size objects within the glass that were distracting when driving into the sun. The dealer had another winshield installed and then another. All had the same defect at some level. Mazda has problems with their glass supplier for sure.

That's reassuring :) Did Mazda cover the replacements under warranty or you had to pay out of pocket?

I thought i was crazy but the other day, with no other cars in front of me, or coming at me, my windshield let put a loud crack. I was searching for a rock hole, wondering how the heck that would happen. I looked for some miscreant kids on the side of the road. Nothing...it just "popped" very loudly.

If you have a rotary, or random orbital polisher, get some ceriglass from car pro, and some car pro rayon glass polishing pads. Spritz with distilled water every once in a while to prevent drying and your scratch will go away (donthis if you know what youre doing). Otherwise take it to a shop or detailer.

I too have noticed streaking and what looks like abrasion caused by the wiper blades. I have "clayed" my windshield once and recently I used a mild abrasive cleaner which is intended for that purpose. Both helped, but it seems to me the windshield gets abnormally soiled and streaky quite often. On top of that, the angle of the glass makes every flaw show when looking into a low sun in the southern sky during winter months. I have suspected the quality of the glass is not first rate.

That is what I thought I could do, but the consensus is that polishing only works on minor scratches. The general rule is, if the scratch catches your fingernail (and mine does big time) is's too deep to be polished off. Unfortunately, replacement might be the only "cure". Plus, if is sub-par quality since it scratches this easily, what are the chances it will withstand its first encounter with a flying stone.

Yes Mazda did free replacements and apologized.

I'm glad they did right with you. The defect you described though appears to be with the internal structure of the windshield. I wont be surprised if the decline coverage in my case on the grounds of customer neglect or some other shenanigans. Good luck proving to them that their glass is crappy. My hope is that the dealer steps in and does right.

I'm glad they did right with you. The defect you described though appears to be with the internal structure of the windshield. I wont be surprised if the decline coverage in my case on the grounds of customer neglect or some other shenanigans. Good luck proving to them that their glass is crappy. My hope is that the dealer steps in and does right.

Hey Zoro. I live just outside of T.O., but bought it in the city because they beat my best price. I have had my CX-5 for just over a month and haven't noticed any scratches on the windshield.... yet; but, with the rain tonight, I pretty much had the wipers on constantly. I'll check in the daylight, tomorrow.

BTW, which dealership are you dealing with? I bought at Gyro Mazda but haven't decided where to service it yet. I live in Markham and it's a bit of hike (given the insane traffic on the 404/DVP) to go down there; especially if the service department is sub-par. Please let me know how they treat you on this issue; if they treat you well and it's not too inconvenient, maybe I'll use them too.

Thanks.

I thought i was crazy but the other day, with no other cars in front of me, or coming at me, my windshield let put a loud crack. I was searching for a rock hole, wondering how the heck that would happen. I looked for some miscreant kids on the side of the road. Nothing...it just "popped" very loudly.

No scratches here, but I did hear that pop just lest week. Immediately afterwards I see a crack in my windshield. The car wasn't even moving, I had just started the car and was sitting there waiting for the oil mix.

I bought the car in July last year and already have to replace the windshield.

BTW, which dealership are you dealing with? I bought at Gyro Mazda but haven't decided where to service it yet. I live in Markham and it's a bit of hike (given the insane traffic on the 404/DVP) to go down there; especially if the service department is sub-par. Please let me know how they treat you on this issue; if they treat you well and it's not too inconvenient, maybe I'll use them too.

Thanks.

I just got back from the dealer and they agreed that scratches this deep and this early are unusual. They'll try to convince Mazda to cover the repair under warranty. Canucklehead, they are west of Mississauga; way to far from you to be convenient. I'll keep you posted anyway.

My dealer was quite aware of Mazdas windshield problems with breakage, particles within the glass and ?? Id let them know you are aware that Mazda is having issues with the windshields. Good luck and do press them for a free replacemnt as glass should not be so soft as to scratch easly or it's defective IMO. Ed

When do you suppose Mazda will recognize and release a recall or Technical service bulletin associated to the obviously flawed windshield glass? It definitely falls under a Safety recall in my opinion, they should acknowledge it just like Honda did on their 7th gen Civics' seatbelt buckles being faulty and not engaging the SRS. I had my 10-year old Civic's seatbelt replaced and their customer care in Canada was top notch.

When do you suppose Mazda will recognize and release a recall or Technical service bulletin associated to the obviously flawed windshield glass? It definitely falls under a Safety recall in my opinion, they should acknowledge it just like Honda did on their 7th gen Civics' seatbelt buckles being faulty and not engaging the SRS. I had my 10-year old Civic's seatbelt replaced and their customer care in Canada was top notch.
There is a vast difference between a glass quality issue and a seatbelt malfunction which would trigger a recall. As for a TSB dealing with the issue, they are intended to help the dealer body diagnose and repair common repair problems and whatever may or may not be going on with CX-5 windshields is far too nebulous to issue a TSB on.

Just checked my windshield for scratches - after 15,000 miles (more than half highway), no scratches. Still shiny and new looking.

I've previously had windshields replaced at no cost using my insurance ($0 deductible - full glass coverage on my comprehensive). Most often it was from a crack, but once it was covered because the windshield was pitted and reflected sunlight so badly that it was a safety hazard. Perhaps aftermarket glass would be better? I can't imagine that all the glass replacement shops in the U.S. would be getting their windshields for our vehicles from Japan!

I have heard that some insurance companies will replace broken/cracked windshields as part of the benifits with reference to youe deductable. Anyone have first hand knowledge of this? Ed

To sum it up; almost 600 views, bunch of replies and not a single case of a scratched windshield as mine. I guess its fair to chalk it up as an isolated case, if highly unusual. Apparently Mazda agreed this much as the replaced the windshield on "good will" basis. The new have its own set of blemishes , but they are out of my direct field of view, more like surface scrapes and not worth making fuss about. It kind of sucks the windshield had to be replaced on a vehicle that is less than 300km, but its far better than having to stare at the stupid scratch every minute I'm behind the wheel. Kudos to the dealer who brought my case to Mazda and didn't try at any point to imply that the fault was mine. For posterity I made some pictures. They show only the large scratch and partially at that, but its better than nothing.

Attachments

• Out50%.jpg
    Out50%.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 311
  • Mid50%.jpg
    Mid50%.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 308
  • In50%.jpg
    In50%.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 306
I have heard that some insurance companies will replace broken/cracked windshields as part of the benifits with reference to youe deductable. Anyone have first hand knowledge of this? Ed

In some states, insurance must replace glass even if you have a $1000 deductible. While other states, insurance doesn't pay for glass until deductible is met.

Because I read several people complain about cracked windshields, I've made sure my coverage includes $0 deductible for windshield protection, when I notified my agent of the new vehicle.
Knock on wood, my windshield is in great condition, so far.

Back