About to pull the trigger on the CX-5 but worried about issues

eh9116

:
2010 Mazda 3 Hatchback
Hey all,

I've been an avid Mazda fan since 2009 when I purchased my 2010 Mazda 3 Hatchback. I love it. At the time, it was the best car for the money, hands down. The features surpassed anything in its class and price range, and the speed and handling make it a very fun car to drive. But since starting my business and making weekend deliveries along with having a 4-month old, it's time for a space upgrade. I've got my eyes set on the 2014 CX-5 Touring AWD (Soul Red).

Like any big purchase I make, I've done a ton of research, and once again I believe the CX-5 to be the best car for the money. I've been scouring these forums for a while digging up info but I'm a little leery of the issues I've been reading about. Specifically this article has pointed out quite a few flaws:

http://www.winstonmoy.com/2013/10/everything-wrong-with-the-2014-mazda-cx-5/

I'm not concerned with most of the issues in the article, but I am concerned about the moisture/frost issue on the inside of the windshield. And a lot of the issues mentioned in the comments section are scaring me too.

I recognize that there was an upgrade made to the CX-5 in the 2014.5 version (and that the article above is likely a review of the 2014 version), but can anyone speak to the moisture/frost problem with the 2014.5 version? Is the issue still there?

I realize this is a CX-5 lovers forum and I'm also in love with it, but I'm just looking for some feedback before I pull the trigger!

Thanks all!

- Nick

Hey all,

http://www.winstonmoy.com/2013/10/everything-wrong-with-the-2014-mazda-cx-5/

I'm not concerned with most of the issues in the article, but I am concerned about the moisture/frost issue on the inside of the windshield. And a lot of the issues mentioned in the comments section are scaring me too.

I recognize that there was an upgrade made to the CX-5 in the 2014.5 version (and that the article above is likely a review of the 2014 version), but can anyone speak to the moisture/frost problem with the 2014.5 version? Is the issue still there?

I live in Quebec, and winter has been especially snowy, cold and harsh this year. I have had zero issues with moisture inside my 2014 CX-5 GT. Whenever there was a bit of frost inside the windshield, it's been cleared up within minutes by the car's defrost system.

I'd suggest that the author of that article doesn't remove accumulated water (melted snow & ice) from his car's rubber mats, causing too much humidity to be present in the car.

I've never had ice build up inside my windshield all winter. And I live in a climate where winters are pretty brutal.

The only issue I have with mine is some rattling noises that started to happen.

A fairly comprehensive list, but nothing that I personally would consider a deal breaker.

The annoyance of having to remember to put up your windows is pretty minor, head unit issues I tend to listen to local radio. Visibility is great compared with some of the sedans I have driven as rental cars.

I did have severe window icing once, my partner once. It seems to happen under a very specific set of circumstances...... lots of ice/snow from shoes on the floor mats, very sunny day, going into very cold night. Evaporation of the snow causes the large ice build up. Took about five minutes to clear with the de-icer on full and manually revving it at ~2500 rpm to get things warm quickly.

Complaints about the auto box are completely unfounded. Yes, it does willingly jump into high gear for economy, but with very little practice you can coax it to accelerate in the same gear, drop one gear, or drop two gears. There is absolutely no need to push it into manual mode just to hold a low gear, and even when I have been in manual mode I have never had the issue of it dropping gears itself forcing bad engine braking.

My biggest semi-complaint is the rattles in temperatures below -20C, which are well documented, but are something I can live with. If I were driving a CRV or RAV4 day after day after day I would die of boredom. Which is something I could not live with, because I'd be dead from boredom.

Like the other posters, I also live in the great white North. Never had any more problem with frosting than with any other car I've had, and when it does frost up, the defroster does a good job of it.

I also agree with Beefy: the auto tranny is very good, almost reads your mind. Like anything else, you need to get used to the gas saving philosophy behind it, but it is easy to do so and make it do what you want.

Yes, many of the things on that web-site are true. The lack of lights, the blue-tooth and such are weak. And the car really likes warm weather. My MPG is 2-3 MPG higher at 45oF than at 20oF.

With that said, it is a great car. Perfect? No, but 10X better than the CR-V (my old car). It is fun to drive, and has something else. Something almost "MG" like. And I mean that in a good way. I am only 4K miles in, but I love this car. Even with all those things mentioned on that web-site.

I'm not concerned with most of the issues in the article, but I am concerned about the moisture/frost issue on the inside of the windshield.

I'm in west/central Jersey (brutal winter this year!), and never had this problem with my 2013.

Zero mechanical problems since I've owned it actually (17,000 miles now), aside from some cold-weather interior rattles that have popped up lately (which seems to be a somewhat common complaint).

I'm in west/central Jersey (brutal winter this year!), and never had this problem with my 2013.

Zero mechanical problems since I've owned it actually (17,000 miles now), aside from some cold-weather interior rattles that have popped up lately (which seems to be a somewhat common complaint).

I should have mentioned my location (North Jersey), because that can make a big difference from what I'm hearing. But that's great to hear!

I live in Quebec, and winter has been especially snowy, cold and harsh this year. I have had zero issues with moisture inside my 2014 CX-5 GT. Whenever there was a bit of frost inside the windshield, it's been cleared up within minutes by the car's defrost system.

I'd suggest that the author of that article doesn't remove accumulated water (melted snow & ice) from his car's rubber mats, causing too much humidity to be present in the car.

I suspected as much about the moisture issue, but it sounded pretty bad to have so much moisture getting inside the car. And the person reporting that when they roll up their windows the inside of the window is dripping wet? That's a bit scary too. But if you say it's good in Quebec? That's a darn good sign then!

I've never had ice build up inside my windshield all winter. And I live in a climate where winters are pretty brutal.

The only issue I have with mine is some rattling noises that started to happen.

Is this the infamous rattling noise near the passenger dash/glove box?

A fairly comprehensive list, but nothing that I personally would consider a deal breaker.

The annoyance of having to remember to put up your windows is pretty minor, head unit issues I tend to listen to local radio. Visibility is great compared with some of the sedans I have driven as rental cars.

I did have severe window icing once, my partner once. It seems to happen under a very specific set of circumstances...... lots of ice/snow from shoes on the floor mats, very sunny day, going into very cold night. Evaporation of the snow causes the large ice build up. Took about five minutes to clear with the de-icer on full and manually revving it at ~2500 rpm to get things warm quickly.

Complaints about the auto box are completely unfounded. Yes, it does willingly jump into high gear for economy, but with very little practice you can coax it to accelerate in the same gear, drop one gear, or drop two gears. There is absolutely no need to push it into manual mode just to hold a low gear, and even when I have been in manual mode I have never had the issue of it dropping gears itself forcing bad engine braking.

My biggest semi-complaint is the rattles in temperatures below -20C, which are well documented, but are something I can live with. If I were driving a CRV or RAV4 day after day after day I would die of boredom. Which is something I could not live with, because I'd be dead from boredom.

Agreed - the only thing on the list that could have broken the deal for me is the moisture issue, but I suppose with proper care it should rarely happen and *hopefully* cause no long-term electrical issues.

Like the other posters, I also live in the great white North. Never had any more problem with frosting than with any other car I've had, and when it does frost up, the defroster does a good job of it.

I also agree with Beefy: the auto tranny is very good, almost reads your mind. Like anything else, you need to get used to the gas saving philosophy behind it, but it is easy to do so and make it do what you want.

That was my other concern - the auto trans. Some people had MAJOR concerns with this! But one of the main reasons I'm set on this car is the high MPG. Especially if you can manipulate it to better do what you want, then it's really a non-issue in my eyes.

Thanks for all the replies - you all have certainly calmed my fears. The only problem now is that it makes more sense to lease (since this is primarily a business car), and now I can't do any/many modifications I've been eyeing on here.... Regardless, I'll be sure to post my final price and pictures on the forum. Based on the timing and deals in my area, I may be able to get a better price than I've seen anywhere on these forums. I'll keep you all udpated!

I don't understand a few of those gripes. Nearly all of them are or should be apparent before you even purchase the vehicle. If you purchase a vehicle and find all of these "surprises", you didn't shop the market well enough, or suit your needs with your purchase.

I've had fewer problems with my CX-5 than any other vehicle I've owned in the first two years of ownership. I've had mine OVER two years now.

If you're shopping for one, I think the most legitimate concern is the dated and buggy infotainment. Otherwise, there's alot of nitpicking going on out there.

Is this the infamous rattling noise near the passenger dash/glove box?

Mines happening in a couple places.

One is coming right from the front panel. The other is front passenger side. The one from the panel goes away when the car is sufficiently warmed up.

Minnesota here. Just over 10,000 miles now, much of it in this brutal winter. Zero icing issues on the inside. Zero rattles.

There's no perfect car. Everything fails these days or has design faults.

My mother has a 2012 BMW 328i, USD$ 60.000 here, and the parking sensors stopped working at 5.000 Kms.

Also, another 2010 320i from my father, rear-left LED light stopped working at 15.000 Kms.

Even, my own Mazda3 showed the ESP light when I was parking THE DAY i've sold the car. No idea why. Fortunately, the buyer didn't see it.

You have to research, and trust in your decision. When a car has more Pros than Cons, and the Pros are unique in his category, it's a signal to go on.

Cheers.

There's no perfect car. Everything fails these days or has design faults.

My mother has a 2012 BMW 328i, USD$ 60.000 here, and the parking sensors stopped working at 5.000 Kms.

Also, another 2010 320i from my father, rear-left LED light stopped working at 15.000 Kms.

Even, my own Mazda3 showed the ESP light when I was parking THE DAY i've sold the car. No idea why. Fortunately, the buyer didn't see it.

You have to research, and trust in your decision. When a car has more Pros than Cons, and the Pros are unique in his category, it's a signal to go on.

Cheers.

Yea, my mom bought a 2006 BMW 540 brand new from the factory in Germany.. damn it was a nice ride it did 160mph on the bahn easily but it had all sorts of electronic issues, and the X5 she got after had electronic issues, and a broken lifter (engine rod part) at about 50000mi!

Imo if you are looking for a small suv CX-5 is best choice. It will also drive more like your 3 in handling. unless you can afford Porsche mecan s :)

My wife CX-5 park outside in -20C at her work place for 12 hrs, 5 days a week and it start up fine when she done work. No moisture inside the car, the frost got clear up without any problem, no rattle what so ever. The door hinges started to squeak a bit probably due to the cold so it just need some grease. 8000Km now can't wait until the cold over to remove winter tires, bad for MPG.

2014 purchased last Dec. - Parked outside (no garage). Zero rattles or other issues other than brain-dead infortainment system.

Purchased my CX-5 Oct 5, 2013. Currently have 6700 trouble free miles.

Scott

the CX-5's problems seem minor after i did research on the new jeep cherokee. quite a few posters are having to have their transmissions replaced on a weeks old vehicle. roughly 30% of the people responding to a poll reported some type of tranny trouble (a lot of those just needed a software update). many posters are having troubles with major electronic components and spare parts are not available - leaving them without cars for weeks and the dealers don't want to supply a rental. other posters are reporting the cherokee just stops running without warning at highway speeds. those are only a few. i'll post the link to that forum. yikes.

i'm back to the cx5 being my first choice. waiting for the 2015s, and i have a couple dealers who know what i want.

jeep cherokee forum:
http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/4-2014-jeep-cherokee-general-discussion/?daysprune=

Last edited:
I have 13k on my 2014. No real issues and I like it more over time. Outstanding in the snow when using winter tires. I did have my rear view camera replaced under warranty, I think it took a hit at the car wash when the attendant used a brush. Works well with my HTC One phone for music and calls.

Annoying infotainment (resume on playback from USB/iPod, Bose centerpoint functions only available on a few of the sources, the non-intuitive Tom Tom, bluetooth takes too long to connect) but everything else is great. But then again I'm a noob with only a month under my belt.

Back