Some accessory questions

lwh1993

:
2005 Mazda Tribute AWD V6
I'll be getting my 2014.5 GT AWD with tech this weekend. I'm very excited but wanted to ask about some potential accessories I'm considering.

1) 3M paint protection. Is it worth it? It looks to be almost $700 for the hood, side mirrors and door edges.

2) Are mud flaps helpful? I've never had them before, but see a lot of vehicles have them. If yes, can a novice install them easily?

3) Trailer hitch suggestions? I'm interested in one to carry three bikes and a attach a small trailer. Are they easy to install?

3)What are the best places to buy accessories cheap? I'm considering Bumper guard, door sill guards, cargo mat/tray and all weather mats.

Are there any other must own accessories?

My dealer's prices seem expensive and I'm hoping I can do all of the install's myself.

Thanks!

1) 3M paint protection. Is it worth it? It looks to be almost $700 for the hood, side mirrors and door edges. I had it on a previous car, didn't get it but should've for this one. Yes, worth it but overpriced from the dealer. Less paint chips and easier to clean the bug splatter off.

2) Are mud flaps helpful? I've never had them before, but see a lot of vehicles have them. If yes, can a novice install them easily? Depends on your preferences but it helps to keep the rain and snow from spraying higher up the car. Easy to install and it will help keep the bikes cleaner.

3) Trailer hitch suggestions? I'm interested in one to carry three bikes and a attach a small trailer. Are they easy to install? Easy but you'll need a second set of hands to help lift it in place until the nuts are threaded. The Class II hitch is plenty for the car. The Class III (2") is rated higher than the CX5 is capable of and decreases ground clearance. All the good bike racks will fit both 1.25" and 2" anyway.

3)What are the best places to buy accessories cheap? I'm considering Bumper guard, door sill guards, cargo mat/tray and all weather mats.

Are there any other must own accessories? Winter tires/wheels?

My dealer's prices seem expensive and I'm hoping I can do all of the install's myself. Other than the tint, I've installed all my accessories.

I'll be getting my 2014.5 GT AWD with tech this weekend. I'm very excited but wanted to ask about some potential accessories I'm considering.

1) 3M paint protection. Is it worth it? It looks to be almost $700 for the hood, side mirrors and door edges.
Don't have it on the CX-5 but had it on my old Audi and VW. It was worth it in both cases. The dealer price is ridiculous so will have it done at one of the places that specializes in applying the film here in Los Angeles (we have tons.)

2) Are mud flaps helpful? I've never had them before, but see a lot of vehicles have them. If yes, can a novice install them easily?
Really easy to install. Did the rear ones last night. I had been noticing the kick up on the back fender and when doing the install, noticed grit/rocks in the splash guard area and rear fender. This will prevent both. It also expands the width of the CX-5 slightly so that your rear quarter panels are protected (you'll make contact with the flaps before the metal.) Pretty handy if you have to deal with tight parking and reverse in.

3) Trailer hitch suggestions? I'm interested in one to carry three bikes and a attach a small trailer. Are they easy to install?
Haven't done this yet myself but the Curtis Class III is the one that seems best (even though it is over rated for the CX-5's tow capacity.) There are more accessory options for the Class III receivers. Also, the Curtis, unlike the OEM, doesn't take a clip out of your bumper to install. It sits cleanly underneath.

I've done all my OEM accessory purchases through Med Center Mazda in Alabama. Free shipping for purchases over $100, almost a guaranteed 20% off MSRP so close to invoice, no tax, and they've been prompt and reliable sending everything as if it just came from Japan. I shopped Park Mazda out of Akron, OH too but their policies are less great and when I totalled two shopping carts, between the two, it came out cheaper from Med Center.

BTW, people seem to prefer the Weathertech weather mats over the OEM ones. You can search the forums to find what they find less likable about the OEM ones.

Are there any other must own accessories?
I'd say the cargo cover if it isn't already coming with yours. I thought I wouldn't need it since I usually have a pet barrier up in the back, but it wasn't more than a day when I realized I needed to ditch my laptop out of view when parking and even with the tint, it wasn't enough. Plus the cover is well designed and doesn't really need to be removed even with all the other accessories I have back there (pet barrier, soft cargo liner, cargo tray are always installed.)

My dealer's prices seem expensive and I'm hoping I can do all of the install's myself.
I'd agree on pricing. Some dealers have temporary discounts from their parts department (I get a 15% off from time to time) but considering the 20% I'm getting for ordering online and no tax (which would tack another 9.5% where I live) it's a no brainer. The installs are very simple -- Mazda's paperwork included with the parts treats you like a kindergartner. They even supply things like alcohol swabs to clean up areas before affixing 3M glues. I put the mud flaps on without taking the wheels off -- it was pretty easy since the clearance around the wheel is pretty good (you'll need a (low) torque wrench though to do the final tightening with metric attachments.) The only thing that might be a little hard would be the hitch install but I haven't done it yet and it may not be that bad. Still wouldn't go to a dealer though but to any mechanic with a lift.

I got the 3M clear bra done at Skip Chips in Hopkins. $799 for full coverage. VERY well done and very happy to have it on the vehicle. About $100 less than Morrie's (who I think farms out the work anyway).

Mud flaps are a must up here - very easy to install with the vehicle on the ground. The Mazda OEM fit the best IMO.

I had Morrie's install the OEM trailer hitch before I even it picked it up. Nice job and the bumper cut is very professionally done and is hardly noticeable.

I bought all my accessories from MazdaGear.com which is actually Morrie's. I felt the prices were good and my order was ready for me when I picked up the vehicle so it wasn't an extra trip. I bought the rubber cargo tray and the cargo cover/shade - both very much worth getting.

Thanks for the help. I'm going with Walser due to them being closer to where I live, thye have the color I want and I can use my Walser rewards towards the purchase. I've asked for prices already.

Back