Neither KBB or Edmunds have the '14 CX-5 listed for values

rcs914

:
2014 CX-5 GT w/Tech - Meteor Grey
So I was curious what the FMV for my '14 GT is after a year of driving it, and 16,000 miles. Unfortunately on both these "blue book" type sites Mazda isn't listed under the manufacturers once you select "2014". I kind of have to wonder how major sites can make mistakes like this. Mazda has several 2014 models, and if I am not mistaken, were the first to market with a '14 model in Feb. of last year. Seems a bit ridiculous that neither of them can get this right.

So I was curious what the FMV for my '14 GT is after a year of driving it, and 16,000 miles. Unfortunately on both these "blue book" type sites Mazda isn't listed under the manufacturers once you select "2014". I kind of have to wonder how major sites can make mistakes like this. Mazda has several 2014 models, and if I am not mistaken, were the first to market with a '14 model in Feb. of last year. Seems a bit ridiculous that neither of them can get this right.

Probably just not enough data on it. Try taking it to carmax for an appraisal.

Or plug in 2013 MY and bump it up slightly for the newer model and larger engine. It looks like they're holding their value very well.

Last edited:
I know, and it sucks. I am trying to trade mine in or sell it and I can't find a value anywhere. One dealer quoted me at 21k for my 2014 Touring AWD with moonroof/Bose, which is quite a bit below what I still owe after one year.

...obviously I turned them down, but that still leaves me with nothing to go on.

I know, and it sucks. I am trying to trade mine in or sell it and I can't find a value anywhere. One dealer quoted me at 21k for my 2014 Touring AWD with moonroof/Bose, which is quite a bit below what I still owe after one year.

...obviously I turned them down, but that still leaves me with nothing to go on.

you're going to be underwater after only a year. google 'mazda cx5 cost of ownership' and you will see the 1st year depreciation. i did this when comparing new 2014 vs new 2015 GT, AWD and 1st year depreciation was 5000 - 7000 depending on the site.

you're going to be underwater after only a year. google 'mazda cx5 cost of ownership' and you will see the 1st year depreciation. i did this when comparing new 2014 vs new 2015 GT, AWD and 1st year depreciation was 5000 - 7000 depending on the site.
Yes, this is true of any car, but they are still trying to give me a bath at 21k. The 2013 is on KBB for more than that.

Yes, this is true of any car, but they are still trying to give me a bath at 21k. The 2013 is on KBB for more than that.

they don't call them 'stealerships' for nothing. what do you owe on it? what did you pay for it?

just for fun, i ran the 2013 on kbb, i assumed excellent condition:
tradein 20,947 - 22,022
private party 24,145

those are probably a good guide, considering kbb is a year behind.

i also checked truecar for a brand new 2014 touring, awd, bose/moonroof. it is coming up $26,723. the 2015 model is $27,235.

Last edited:
I owe 24,500, and paid just under 27k. I also took a hit on my last car though, so that bumped it up a bit. Ironically, my last vehicle (Tacoma) is what I want back now. I'm definitely buying used from here on out though.

I owe 24,500, and paid just under 27k. I also took a hit on my last car though, so that bumped it up a bit. Ironically, my last vehicle (Tacoma) is what I want back now. I'm definitely buying used from here on out though.

Or avoid the revolving door, and keep your cars for more than a few months ;)

list it on craigslist for 24K and see what happens. if you get 23K, consider yourself lucky. not sure what state you live in, but some states do not make you pay sales tax on the value of the tradein - that may be worth $$$. do your math.

Last edited:
Or avoid the revolving door, and keep your cars for more than a few months ;)
This would work too. If only I didn't find them all so boring once I run out of mods to do. At least if I buy used and mod the hell out of it, maybe I can make a profit, or at least break even. (ughdance)

It's possible these two sites get their data from the same source ( and then they manipulate the numbers with their own formulas ). Maybe this 'source' doesn't have enough data collected yet to provide anything useful.

Obviously I am aware. That's why I'm trying to break the cycle of wasting money buying new.

You've already wasted the money. Trading in now will only put you further in the hole, unless you trade down to an old beater. Unless you just can't afford the payments, keep the car you bought!

You've already wasted the money. Trading in now will only put you further in the hole, unless you trade down to an old beater. Unless you just can't afford the payments, keep the car you bought!
Nah, I have plenty of money, I just don't like spending $500 per month on a ride anymore. And I'd rather drive something I really enjoy driving (and looking at). But yeah, I am planning to trade back to an older Tacoma. That's the beauty of Tacomas though, they last forever with minimum issues. And yes, I speak from the experience of owning 2 already. Never put a dime into them for repairs. The only drawback is lesser MPGs, which will be more than offset by the lower payments and insurance.

Back