How to: Store Rear Cargo Cover behind the 3rd Seats

jaynh

:
Mazda Mazda5 Touring 2012
I have read in several posts that you have to take out the rear cargo cover and store it in your garage when the third row seats are put up, or store it between the seats where someone can step on it and ruin it. The cover is too wide to fit on the floor behind the third row, so it seems that you cannot store it back there.

Well, I found a way to store the cargo cover behind the third row of seats and still have (a little) space back there for grocery bags, etc.

I remove one of the rear side storage compartment covers and stick one end of the metal "pole" in the cubby and the other end diagonally above the rear of the opposite armrest. Position the "tongue" portion of the cover so that it lays flush against the back of the seats, pointing up.

The best way to do this is to remove the cubby hole panel, insert one end of the pole into the cubby hole, compress the whole pole and insert the other end above the back of the opposite armrest. This spring action will keep everything snug and prevent the cover from moving around. This will become easy to do after a few tries. Do the opposite to remove.

This is the best way I found to quickly store that cargo cover when you need to put up the third row when more passengers join you on the go!

3 pictures are worth a thousand words:
DSCN1603.JPG
DSCN1604.JPG
DSCN1605.JPG

Last edited:
Can you remove the “other” cover so you insert both ends to lay it flat? I’m not sure it is a good idea to rest the cover at an angel b/c it will slide around and scratch the plastic/things.

Last edited:
Good thought, but unfortunately I tried and the "pole" is too long to fit into both covers.

Because the "pole" ends are spring loaded, you will have to push in both ends to get it to fit angled as shown and it does not slide around or move at all. This is due to the fact that the cargo bay is wider right behind the rear seats and gets narrower towards the tailgate. When you position it as shown in the pictures, the end springs are compressed. Because of this, the ends tend to push the cover towards the wider area of the cargo bay = towards the front of the car, which happens to be against the back of the third seat, and it fits snug in that position with hardly any movement at all.

Also, the ends of the "pole" came wrapped in a felt-like material, so the plastic panels do not get scratched at all. The "pole" does rest on the end of the armrest. If you are overly concerned, you can put a piece of cloth under it, but because there is no movement, there are no scratches that I could see on the armrest. I have inspected the plastic side panels after driving many weeks at a time with the cover in this position, and I did not find any scratches from the cargo cover "pole". Even when the cargo bay is empty with nothing to wedge the cover against the rear seat to prevent movement!

I also inspected the painted surface of the "pole", it does not get scratched up either!

The only parts that makes contact with the plastic Mazda5 panels are the ends of the "pole" (felt-covered end against the plastic panel on one side, smooth metal surface sitting on the rear of the armrest with no movement, felt-covered end against the painted cubby wall on the other side, and the vinyl "tongue" against the back of the third seat)

Mind you, this only relates to the OEM cargo covers, I don't know how the aftermarket covers are constructed.

Believe me, I would not carry it this way if I found that the plastic side panels and/or the paint on the "pole" are getting scratched up!!!

BTW, you can also "switch sides" and have the "pole" sitting above the drivers side armrest with the other end in the passenger side cubby.

Last edited:
Its easy when you take out the golf bag storage door. In case you missed that part of the manual, Mazda engineered that to be able to carry a golf bag in the back behind the row. I've been storing the shade there since I got the car but never posted it.

The instructions from the '06-'10 Cargo Cover offers a tip on how to store it. I would think it would apply to the '12-'14 models as well?

cargocover.jpg

I know its not your idea but it would get destroyed there in a few days. Mine has been in the hall closet for a while now, it seems whenever I put it in I need the 3rd row or carry something big.

Back