Couple Questions

dk31

:
2014.5 CX-5 Touring w/tech
Sorry if these have been answered already but I have a couple questions after having this car for just over a day:

Push button start is pretty cool, but is there a way to turn off the car and still listen to the radio? I've looked in the manual and I can't see anything about this. If I'm listening to a song or a sporting event and I just parked, pushing the button to turn off the engine turns off everything. Kind of frustrating to then push it again and wait a few seconds for the radio to start up. With a key you could just turn it to ACC mode while shutting off the engine. Weird that this doesn't work like that. (uhm)

And is it normal when driving alone to have the "no passenger airbag" light next to the clock stay lit for the entire time? Could it be because I put my messenger bag in the passenger seat and it's sensing something lightweight there?

Sorry if these have been answered already but I have a couple questions after having this car for just over a day:

Push button start is pretty cool, but is there a way to turn off the car and still listen to the radio? I've looked in the manual and I can't see anything about this. If I'm listening to a song or a sporting event and I just parked, pushing the button to turn off the engine turns off everything. Kind of frustrating to then push it again and wait a few seconds for the radio to start up. With a key you could just turn it to ACC mode while shutting off the engine. Weird that this doesn't work like that. (uhm)

And is it normal when driving alone to have the "no passenger airbag" light next to the clock stay lit for the entire time? Could it be because I put my messenger bag in the passenger seat and it's sensing something lightweight there?

The way to put the car into "ACC" mode from engine running is to not shift the car to "P". Shift the car to "N" or "D" and then press the Push Start Button which then the car will go into "ACC" mode. Just shift into "P" after the car goes into "ACC" mode.

For the passenger airbag question, I think it stays lit when you're driving alone or at least that's what I remember (haven't driven my CX-5 for like 3 weeks now).

Don't hold brake down and tap start button, radio turns on, tap again, and everything turns on except motor, tap again and everything turns off.

Be careful if you do this because its easy to accidently leave things turned on and run down your battery.

Don't hold brake down and tap start button, radio turns on, tap again, and everything turns on except motor, tap again and everything turns off.

Be careful if you do this because its easy to accidently leave things turned on and run down your battery.

+1 on the accessory position

I've had the CX5 for about a month and I still find the passenger airbag light staying on all the time mildly irritating. I drive alone 95% of the time and can't see why it is necessary for the light to constantly stay on. Why not just have it stay on for 30 seconds at ignition (I know: safety, liability) or at least have a more discrete indicator?

Page 4-2 in your OM under "Push Button Start Positions". It's all there!

I know this part already but my question was how to get to the ACC mode from the engine running, not from the engine off.

The way to put the car into "ACC" mode from engine running is to not shift the car to "P". Shift the car to "N" or "D" and then press the Push Start Button which then the car will go into "ACC" mode. Just shift into "P" after the car goes into "ACC" mode.

Thanks, this worked! Now I just have to remember to push the button before shifting into "P".

This may be a stupid question (it wouldn't be my first); but, why and under what circumstances would you want to put the car into "ACC" mode when it is in 'drive' or in gear?

It is my understanding that "ACC" mode shuts off the engine anyway. It can't be just to save the extra push of the "Start" button, can it? Please educate me.

If this is truly a stupid question, please be gentle in your ridicule.

Ok - now how can this be accomplished with a manual trans?

You have to shut the engine down first, then hit the Start button a 2nd time without the clutch in. Or another way: Find your parking place and hit the start button twice with a slight delay between the touches.

This may be a stupid question (it wouldn't be my first); but, why and under what circumstances would you want to put the car into "ACC" mode when it is in 'drive' or in gear?

It is my understanding that "ACC" mode shuts off the engine anyway. It can't be just to save the extra push of the "Start" button, can it? Please educate me.

If this is truly a stupid question, please be gentle in your ridicule.

If I'm listening to the radio and there is a couple seconds left of an interview, or a good song is playing I want to hear it all. I can burn gas as I let the car idle or I can shut the car off then go into accessory mode which takes just long enough for me to miss the last part of what I was listening to. All my previous car stayed in accessory mode for a couple minutes after they were shut off. You had several minutes to roll up any windows, listen to the radio, complete a call... When the time expired or a door was opened accessory mode was canceled.

Why Mazda misses some of these simple options is beyond me. They can't cost that much and improves the customer perception of the car. My list of minor conveniences grow every day. No accessory mode after shutdown, no compass with tech package or navigation, all of the infotainment glitches, no seat tilt unless you get the GT, the lack of backlighting on many of the buttons... Sorry, just venting. I like the car, I'm just puzzled by some of the details.

Why Mazda misses some of these simple options is beyond me.

I really like the fact that when I get to my destination one button push shuts the whole thing down (except for any lighting delay I have programmed). And if I want to sit there and continue listening to the radio, Mazda has provided for that (shift to neutral before pushing the button). That way I won't miss one word of that fascinating interview (however rare that is) that I was listening to.

I don't get it. What's not to like?

I really like the fact that when I get to my destination one button push shuts the whole thing down (except for any lighting delay I have programmed). And if I want to sit there and continue listening to the radio, Mazda has provided for that (shift to neutral before pushing the button). That way I won't miss one word of that fascinating interview (however rare that is) that I was listening to.

I don't get it. What's not to like?

I'm a creature of habit, for 50+ years I've shifted into park and shut the engine off. Car is in a safe condition and won't roll, I've got to believe that 90% of people with an Automatic do it this way. Then I take the key out and put it in my pocket. Listen to the radio if there is something interesting. Before I open the door I glance around to make sure all the windows are up, if not I roll them up. Open the door and as I get out I lock it, then close it and walk away. My previous cars wouldn't let me lock the doors as I was exiting if my key was in the ignition. Couldn't take the key out unless the car was in park. A lot of safety interlocks, none were really inconvenient.

Now lets see what happens with my touring. I'm interested in something on the radio so I change to neutral and then push the button. Continue listening to the radio figuring I'll put it in park when I push the button to shut it off. Sat for a couple minutes listening and pushed the button to leave. Forgot to check the windows, push the button a couple times so I can roll up the windows. Forgot to hit it again to shut off, it is now in accessory mode. Exit the car push the lock button and close the door. Car starts rolling because I forgot to put it in park, look for my key fob to unlock the door. It's safely in my jacket pocket, which is locked in the car. Because Mazda didn't see fit to put the advanced entry on the touring model, I'm locket out.

That push button start is the most dangerous aspect of the car for a creature of habit like me, especially because I often drive other cars. It is totally unforgiving. I often carry my keys in my jacket which I take off while driving to be more comfortable. I know, at least once I'm going to lock it in the car. I have no clue why this car has a push button start, and no advanced entry. There is absolutely 0 benefit and many drawbacks. Especially since I have to essentially have the key in my hand to unlock the door. An ignition key would for this trim would have been better than the half baked start button and no advanced entry. Models with the push button entry, I understand. Automatic locking, a little more failsafe.

Don't get me wrong, I like the car. But, it is my 4th Mazda and I'm amazed how they don't sweat the details, or miss judge the contents of the different option packages.

I know, at least once I'm going to lock it in the car. I have no clue why this car has a push button start, and no advanced entry. There is absolutely 0 benefit and many drawbacks.

Only way to prevent a lockout is to hide the extra key under a fender in a protected container. The key detaches from the fob. There is a neat way the keys works. Get access to car with key, then hold end of key up to the start button, depress button and it starts. There must be a RFID chip in the key that requires no power, so no battery required. An RFID reader is in the start button.

I always lock the car with the fob, never the door lock button, that way if the car is locked I have the fob.Can't get locked out.

But yeah, I hate the fact that I still need to take my keys out even if I have push button start.

Unless the manual is wrong, the key will only get you into the car. You still need the transmitter to start the car. If the transmitter's battery is dead you hold the end opposite of the aux key up against the start button so the RFID in the transmitter can be read. The key is a standard key that only works in the doors. You can actually have the key duplicated anywhere then hide it, keeping the original in the fob.

From quick start manual page 4: "Emergency Vehicle Entry:
If the key cannot be used due to
a malfunction or dead key battery,
use the auxiliary key (below) to
lock or unlock the doors."

Now in the old day's my GM key did have an RFID in it. I could buy them off Ebay for about $5 ($20 if I got the fob too), have them cut locally for about $2, program them myself and I'd have a complete backup I could hide under the car. But I guess many people think the push button start is better. For a complete backup you only have to pay $100 on ebay for the entire fob, then go to the dealer to have it programmed for $80 and the aux key cut for another $20, and you can't hide the fob anywhere reasonable because of the size, and it needs to be out of range of antennas or it is disabled. MikeM, I'm starting to see the benefits of the start button on my 2014 touring, makes a boatload of money for Mazda because people buy spares, or drop another $2K to get the grand touring. Benefit to me zero.

You have to shut the engine down first, then hit the Start button a 2nd time without the clutch in. Or another way: Find your parking place and hit the start button twice with a slight delay between the touches.

This still results in a stopping of the radio's audio as soon as you push the botton to stop the engine.

I think Mazda jumped on the Push Button bandwagon because "everybody has one". I think it is a nuisance but, have gotten used to it. Ed

I think Mazda jumped on the Push Button bandwagon because "everybody has one". I think it is a nuisance but, have gotten used to it. Ed
I agree with that, and by far the BIGGEST nuisance is when I reach for the stupid start button in my other car that doesn't have one (lol)

Back