Only 1 rotor damaged

Mazdacx5

:
CX-5
Hey guys, new to the forum. I have a 2013 cx5 and only 1 rotor is damaged. (Rear driver) my guess is a rock landed inside and slowly started to grind away at my rotor, faulty pads or stuck caliper

When driving the noise comes and goes. And when stopping it sounds like a grinding noise. A few weeks ago I was driving and hissing/screeming noise would come out of nowhere then disapear, regardless if i was brakeing or not.

Is it normal how 1 rotor can be so damaged, meanwhile the other looks fine. Car only has 30,000kms Let me know

image.jpg

Hey guys, new to the forum. I have a 2013 cx5 and only 1 rotor is damaged. (Rear driver) my guess is a rock landed inside and slowly started to grind away at my rotor, faulty pads or stuck caliper

When driving the noise comes and goes. And when stopping it sounds like a grinding noise. A few weeks ago I was driving and hissing/screeming noise would come out of nowhere then disapear, regardless if i was brakeing or not.

Is it normal how 1 rotor can be so damaged, meanwhile the other looks fine. Car only has 30,000kms Let me know

View attachment 206548

It is not normal.

It looks like rock damage.

When there are hissing/screeming (sic) and grinding noises coming from your car, it is best to bring it to somebody who cares right away.(sick)

A rock in your rotor is a very rare thing. Highly improbable. Looking at the photo this is not a rock issue.

IMO, it is a seized caliper on the other side of the car, and this caliper has been doing a lot of the braking for the vehicle regarding the rear wheels. Likely the pads wore down, the bolts that hold the shoes on the shoeplate are griding metal on metal and now you have a rotor/pad assembly that needs replacement (in addition to needing a brake inspection for the cause).

Results:

So according to Mazda, the CX-5 rear brakes tend to go faster then the front brakes. My rear driver brake was done!! going metal on metal and the rear passenger had 5% left on the pads. They mentioned that there has been several cases where CX-5 owners changed their rear brakes at 30,000 kms. !!! and not the average 48,000kms on other Mazda's

Meanwhile my front brakes are still running good...i will definetly change them before my rotors get destroyed.

I mentioned that maybe the caliper was seized or not well lubricated. They say the caliper was fine, and that IF I paid 175$ for the 24,000kms inspection, they would have told me that the brakes are due soon.

Either or, i was ready to get new brakes (part of my wear and tear) but it is RIDICULOUS that CX-5 owners need to change rear brakes every 30,000kms
my next brake pads will not be Mazda brake pads.

Beware CX-5 owners

total bill 400$= Rotors 82$/each, pads=80, labour 122$+ tax=156$

BTW, i had no "pin" screeming noises that reminds me that my pads are almost done and need to be serviced. This is BS
i am filing a report to Mazda Canada.

I would think that the squeal tab to indicate low brake pad would still be there, just very faint from the cabin because the cars are so well insulated now. So it could have been missed unless you drove with your windows down and specifically listened to the squeal.

Since the passenger rear side was also down to 5%, it just so happened that the driver's side wore down faster and had the metal on metal to damage the rotor. Could you have been driving with the parking brake not fully disengaged? Or maybe the parking brake adjustment wasn't properly adjusted and it still dragged the rear brakes a bit and caused them to wear out faster.

It is normal for some cars to have the rear pads wear out faster than the front due to different pad materials. Driving style can further exaggerate this characteristic and cause accelerated wear in the brake pad materials.

A rock in your rotor is a very rare thing. Highly improbable.
Maybe rare; but not improbable. Coupla' years ago my wife called me from the middle of her commute to tell me that she had pulled off the road onto a gravel shoulder in her Miata to answer a phone call. When she started off again, there was a horrible screeching noise coming from the right front. I jumped in my car and drove the few miles to where she was, verified the problem and put it in reverse for a few feet. Drove it forward again and presto! problem solved.

My CX7 Mazda had ~ 50% pad remaining (front & Rear) when check at 60,000 miles which seems more normal for Mazda's that are used as daily drivers in suburbia.

I read that under light breaking the rear brakes are engaged stronger than front in order to aid directional stability and it is normal for rear pads to wear quicker than front pads on Mazdas depending of driver and driving conditions. During panic stops all brakes are applied until wheel slippage is detected then ABS limits the braking to give directional stability (steering control). Possible causes for early rear pad wear include: lots of stop & go driving, emergency brake dragging, driver riding brakes, possible defective pads.

My CX7 Mazda had ~ 50% pad remaining (front & Rear) when check at 60,000 miles which seems more normal for Mazda's that are used as daily drivers in suburbia.

I sold my 3 with 75,000 miles and still on original pads.

IF I paid 175$ for the 24,000kms inspection, they would have told me that the brakes are due soon.
My dealer checks the brake pads thickness at every oil change. You shouldn't have to pay for that.
Well at least it's fixed before any more damage. It's not uncommon to have rear brakes wear out faster than the fronts. Happened in my 2003 Toyota Matrix XRS.

If you ride the brakes while driving the pads will wear out faster than normal.

But, no, the CX-5 does not have a history of unusual brake wear.

Mine were still > 90% at 12,000 miles (20,000 km).

So according to Mazda, the CX-5 rear brakes tend to go faster then the front brakes. My rear driver brake was done!! going metal on metal and the rear passenger had 5% left on the pads. They mentioned that there has been several cases where CX-5 owners changed their rear brakes at 30,000 kms. !!! and not the average 48,000kms on other Mazda's. Meanwhile my front brakes are still running good...

Figured so...sorry that happened.

I mentioned that maybe the caliper was seized or not well lubricated. They say the caliper was fine, and that IF I paid 175$ for the 24,000kms inspection, they would have told me that the brakes are due soon.

Crappy response IMO. Personally I believe there was a pad or caliper issue they might have fixed it when they went in and didn't tell you about. In 15k just visually inspect by going under the car for a few seconds.

Either or, i was ready to get new brakes (part of my wear and tear) but it is RIDICULOUS that CX-5 owners need to change rear brakes every 30,000kms
my next brake pads will not be Mazda brake pads.

Keep in mind "better" is relative. Some people like quick-wearing shoes/pads. The pads/shoes wear down and the more expensive rotors don't. Some like it the other way, but the longer lasting pads/shoes will grind material off the rotors and will - most times - force the replacement of the rotors. I do this work myself and rotors are $20. Full brake job is like $70 total and only takes 30 mins to do if you don't need to re-bleed the brakes. But if you're not comfortable doing it you are a victim of the mechanics. That's why Seinfeld was happy he had a great, trustworthy mechanic!

I jumped in my car and drove the few miles to where she was, verified the problem and put it in reverse for a few feet. Drove it forward again and presto! problem solved.

Nice work. However "improbable" is not the same as "impossible". And yes, it is usually improbable this is the case, but it does happen and I acknowledge that. Furthermore a rock in the rotor would grind down very quickly and not cause that damage. As the OP confirmed, the problem was worn out brakes.

Figured so...sorry that happened.

Crappy response IMO. Personally I believe there was a pad or caliper issue they might have fixed it when they went in and didn't tell you about. In 15k just visually inspect by going under the car for a few seconds.

Keep in mind "better" is relative. Some people like quick-wearing shoes/pads. The pads/shoes wear down and the more expensive rotors don't. Some like it the other way, but the longer lasting pads/shoes will grind material off the rotors and will - most times - force the replacement of the rotors. I do this work myself and rotors are $20. Full brake job is like $70 total and only takes 30 mins to do if you don't need to re-bleed the brakes. But if you're not comfortable doing it you are a victim of the mechanics. That's why Seinfeld was happy he had a great, trustworthy mechanic!

That last part is why I am trying to learn basic car mechanical.

That last part is why I am trying to learn basic car mechanical.

It's not hard. You just need basic skills and a set of tools. Mainly a large C clamp and some sockets. Having a compressor, impact wrench and hydraulic jack make it faster but are not necessary.

You've already been changing a bunch of other stuff on the car which means brakes will be easy for you.

Once I was taught how to change out brake pads and/or rotors, I couldn't believe how easy it was. And now any time I see the cost to change brake pads...I think it's ridiculous...

Changing front pads basically broke down to: 1) remove wheel 2) unscrew 1 bolt to fold open caliper 3) remove pads 4) compress brake cylinder with C-clamp 5) insert new pads/grease 6) put everything back. I couldn't believe it...ONE bolt!

Changing rotors: 1) remove wheel 2) unscrew 2 bolts holding caliper 3) replace rotor 3a) might have to compress brake cylinder a bit 4) put everything back. TWO bolts! That's it!

Latest posts

Back